• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sakhis Humility

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
Once the elder son of Guru Nanak Sahib Jee went to Amritsar to visit Guru Raam Daas Sahib Jee, the fourth heir to the throne of Guru Nanak Sahib Jee.

Baba Sri Chand Jee tried to belittle and laugh at the Guru. He said, "O Raam Daas! Why is your beard so long?" The Guru replied "I have a long beard to wipe the feet of holy men like you." The Guru Sahib's humility hit Baba Sri Chand Jee who fell at the feet of Guru Sahib and he said; "Now I know why I didn't become chosen to be Guru and instead you are sitting on my father's throne."

"Kabeera, janaa gyan tah Dharam hai jahaa jhooth tah paap
Jahaa lobh tah kaal, jahaa khima tah aap"

Kabeer, where there is spiritual wisdom, there is righteousness and Dharma. Where there is falsehood, there is sin.

Where there is greed, there is death. Where there is forgiveness, there is God Himself. --> Bhagat Kabeer, SGGS

Baba%20Sri%20Chand%20visiting%20Guru%20Raam%20Daas%20Sahib%20Ji.jpg

vsgrewal48895

Writer
SPNer
Mar 12, 2009
Michigan
HUMILITY/ਮਸਕੀਨੀ

ABSTRACT

The word humility signifies lowliness or submissiveness and it is derived from the Latin humilitas or, from humus, i.e. the earth that is beneath us and lies under our feet. Water is further humble, which rests below the earth and low lands but rises under pressure in the fountains. So they who preserve a humble mind mount to God's highest pinnacle, says Bhai Gurdas in his Vaar 4, while Guru Arjan in his Sukhmani states;

ਆਪਸ ਕਉ ਜੋ ਜਾਣੈ ਨੀਚਾ ॥ ਸੋਊ ਗਨੀਐ ਸਭ ਤੇ ਊਚਾ ॥

Aapas Ka-o Jo Jaanai Neechaa, So-oo Ganee-ai Sabh Tay Oochaa.

One who sees himself as lowly shall be accounted as the highest of all.-----Guru Arjan, Raag Gauri, AGGS, Page, 266-7

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ਕਰਉ ਬੰਦਨਾ ਅਨਿਕ ਵਾਰ ਸਰਨਿ ਪਰਉ ਹਰਿ ਰਾਇ॥

Karo Bandnaa Anek Vaar Saran Paro Har Ra-ey.

Bow in humility to the Akal Purkh, over and over again, and enter Its sanctuary our King.-----Guru Arjan, Raag Gauri, AGGS, Page, 296-17

Humility perceives one’s place in the world, not according to one’s own accomplishments but according to the intrinsic value of all individuals. Humility is an essential attitude for progress in spiritual life. Spirituality is the concern with one’s inner being and how one deal with Truth, Love and Courage. Humility is attentive patience.Humility and intellect could be compatible, provided we place humility first.

ਸਰਮ ਖੰਡ ਕੀ ਬਾਣੀ ਰੂਪੁ॥

Saram Khand Kee BaaNee Roop.

In the realm of humility, the Word is beauty.-----Guru Nanak, Japji, AGGS, Page, 8-1

It is one of the foundation stone of Sikh Faith.

ਮਿਲਿਆ ਮਾਣੁ ਨਿਮਾਣਿਐ ਪਿਰਮ ਪਿਆਲਾ ਪੀਇ ਪਤੀਣੀ ॥ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਸੁਖ ਫਲੁ ਹੈ ਮਸਕੀਣੀ॥

Milia MaaN NimaNia Piram Piala Pee-a Pateenee, Gurmukh Sukh Fal Hai MaskeeNee.

Only the humble get adorned with glory quaffing the cup of the love of God gets satiated. The saintly person perceive happiness only while practicing humility-----Bhai Gurdas, Vaar 4, Pauri, 2

>True humility is the low but deep and firm foundation of all virtues.

ਮਿਠਤੁ ਨੀਵੀ ਨਾਨਕਾ ਗੁਣ ਚੰਗਿਆਈਆ ਤਤੁ॥ ਸਭੁ ਕੋ ਨਿਵੈ ਆਪ ਕਉ ਪਰ ਕਉ ਨਿਵੈ ਨ ਕੋਇ ॥

Mithat Neevee Nanaka GouN Changiaa-eeaa Tatt, Sabh ko Nivai Aap Ka-o Par Ka-o Nivai Na Ko-ay.

Sweetness and humility, O Nanak, are the essence of virtue and goodness, but arrogance and ego makes everyone bows down to himself; no one bows down to another.-----Guru Nanak, Raag Asa, AGGS, Page, 470-14

>Fullness of knowledge always and necessarily means some understanding of our ignorance that is always conducive to both humility and reverence.

>Plenty of people wish to become devout but no one wishes to be humble.

ਬੁਧ ਗਰੀਬੀ ਖਰਚੁ ਲੈਹ ਹਉਮੈ ਬਿਖ ਜਾਰਹੁ॥ ਸਾਚਾ ਹਟੁ ਪੂਰਾ ਸਉਦਾ ਵਖਰੁ ਨਾਮੁ ਵਾਪਾਰਹੁ ॥

Budh Gareebee Kharch Lai-oh Haumai Bikh Jaaroh, Saachaa Hat Pooraa Sa-udaa Vakhar Naam Vaapaarahu.

Take wisdom and humility as your supplies, and burn away the poison of pride. True is that shop, and perfect the transaction; deal only in the merchandise of the Naam, the Name of the Akal Purkh.-----Guru Arjan, Raag Asa, AGGS, Page, 399-9

>Humility is the only true wisdom by which we prepare our minds for all possible changes of life.

>Pride is concerned with who is right; humility is concerned with what is right.

>Humility leads to strength and not to weakness. It is the highest form of self-respect to admit mistakes and to make amends for them.

>Humility is the most difficult of all virtues to achieve; nothing dies harder than the desire think well of self.

ਸੁਖੀ ਬਸੈ ਮਸਕੀਨੀਆ ਆਪੁ ਨਿਵਾਰ ਤਲੇ ॥ ਬਡੇ ਬਡੇ ਅਹੰਕਾਰੀਆ ਨਾਨਕ ਗਰਬ ਗਲੇ ॥

Sukhee Basai Maskeenee-aa Aap Nivaar Talay,Baday Baday AhaNkaaree-aa Nanak Garab Galay.

The humble beings abide in peace and by subduing egotism they become meek. O Nanak, the very proud and arrogant persons are consumed by their own pride.-----Guru Arjan Gauri Sukhmani, AGGS, Page, 278-5

A fault which humbles a person is of more use than a good action, which puffs him/her up.

>It is vain to gather virtues with out humility, for the spirit of God delighteth to dwell in the hearts of humble.

> No one will learn any thing at all, unless one first learns humility.

ਸਿਰੁ ਨੀਵਾ ਨੀਵਾਣਿ ਵਾਸੁ ਪਾਣੀ ਔਦਰਿ ਪਰਉਪਕਾਰਾ ॥ ਨਿਵ ਚਲੈ ਸੋ ਗੁਰੁ ਪਿਆਰਾ॥

Sir Neeva NeevaaN Vaas PaaNee Ander Paroupkaraa,Niv Chalai So Guru Piara.

Water goes towards low level and has qualities of altruism. A Sikh who walks in humility is very near to the Guru.-----Bhai Gurdas, Vaar 4, Pauri, 5

Bhai Gurdas further stresses that earth and grass are other examples of humility, which lies under our feet and water is further humble, which rests below the earth and low lands but rises under pressure in the fountains, so they who preserve a humble mind mount to God’s highest pinnacle.

Acceptance in Sikhism has taught that there is a bit of good in the worst of us and a bit of bad in the best of us; that we are all the children of God and we each have a right to be here. Sikh thought is a group of principles, spiritual in nature, which if practiced as a way of life, can expel the obsession of ego and enable one to become “Happily and useful Whole”.

Humility therefore comes from tangible work that produces a permanent transformation of thinking and acting. Most of us have found enough humility to believe in and depend upon GOD.

Only by discussing ourselves, holding back nothing, only by willing to take advice and accept direction per AGGS, one could set foot on the road of straight thinking solid honesty and genuine humility.

Humility is not thinking less of yourself but thinking of yourself less.

ਬਿਦਰੁ ਉਧਾਰਿਓ ਦਾਸਤ ਭਾਇ॥

Bidar Oudhaario Daasat Bhaa-ey.

Bidar was saved by his attitude of humility.-----Guru Arjan, Raag Basant, AGGS, Page, 1192-6

Pride is the basic breeder of most human difficulties, the chief block to progress. The satisfaction of our lower instincts (Auseri Gunas) for sex, security and a place in society becomes the primary object of our lives, which leads to pride to justify our excesses. True ambition is the profound desire to live usefully and walk humbly under the God’s Will.

ਨਿਵਣੁ ਸੁ ਅਖਰੁ ਖਵਣੁ ਜਿਹਬਾ ਮਣੀਆ ਮੰਤ॥ ਏ ਤ੍ਰੈ ਭੈਣੇ ਵੇਸ ਕਰਿ ਤਾਂ ਵਸਿ ਆਵੀ ਕੰਤੁ ॥

NivaN So Akhar KhavaN GouN Jehba MaNia Mant, Ay Tarai Bhainay Vays Kar TaaN Vas Aavee Kant.

Humility is the word, forgiveness the virtue, and sweet speech the magic mantra. Wear these three robes, O sister, and you will captivate your Husband Akal Purkh. -----Sloke Sheikh Farid # 127, AGGS, Page, 1384-15

ਦੇਖਹੁ ਭਾਈ ਏਹੁ ਅਖਾੜਾ ਹਰਿ ਪੀ੍ਤਮ ਸਚੇ ਕਾ ਜਿਨਿ ਆਪਣੈ ਜੋਰਿ ਸਭਿ ਆਣਿ ਨਿਵਾਏ॥

Dekhoh Bhaa-ee Ayh Akhaarhaa Har Preetam Suchay Ka Jin AapNai Joar Sabh AaN Nivaa-ay.

O, Siblings of Destiny; behold this Arena of the Beloved True Akal Purkh; It’s power brings every one bow in humility. -----Guru Ramdas, Raag Gauri, AGGS, Page, 308-2

ਗਰੀਬੀ ਗਦਾ ਹਮਾਰੀ॥ ਖੰਨਾ ਸਗਲ ਰੇਨ ਛਾਰੀ॥ ਇਸੁ ਆਗੈ ਕੋ ਨ ਟਿਕੈ ਵੇਕਾਰੀ॥ ਗੁਰ ਪੂਰੇ ਏਹ ਗਲ ਸਾਰੀ॥

Gareebee Gadda Hamaree, Khanna Sagal Rayn Chaari, Iss Aagai Ko Na Tikai Vaykaaree,Gur Pooray Ayh Gal Saaree.

Humility is my mace, and being the dust of the dust of all men’s feet is my double edged sword, which no evildoer can withstand. The matter has been arranged by the perfect Guru.-----Guru Arjan, Raag Sorath, AGGS, Page, 628-13

ਭਾਉ ਭਗਤਿ ਕਰਿ ਨੀਚੁ ਸਦਾਏ॥ ਤਉ ਨਾਨਕ ਮੋਖੰਤਰ ਪਾਏ॥

Bhaao Bhagat Kar Neech Sadaa-ay, Taou Nanak Mokhanter Paa-ay.

O, Nanak, salvation is attained with loving devotional worship and abiding in humility.-----Guru Nanak, Raag Asa, AGGS, Page, 470-8

Conclusion:

I am still arrogant, self-righteous, with no humility, even phony at times, but trying to make an honest attempt to become a better person and help my fellow men. I may be one person in the world, but whom I help; I may be the world for him/her. Sikh Faith instills humility in us to serve a greater cause than ourselves. It reminds us of our common humanity and our essentials of equality in it and sees us through life’s trials.

It is far more impressive when others discover your good qualities without your help. ~Author Unknown

Guess, what I will never be a saint, but what ever I am I believe in accepting to humbly live under the Will of God considering myself lowest of the low.

ਸਭ ਤੇ ਨੀਚੁ ਆਤਮ ਕਰਿ ਮਾਨਉ ਮਨ ਮਹਿ ਇਹੁ ਸੁਖੁ ਧਾਰਉ ॥

Sabẖ ṯė nīcẖ āṯam kar mān¬o man meh ih sukẖ ḏẖāra¬o.

I judge myself to be the lowest of all; in this way, I instill peace within my mind.-----Guru Arjan Dev, Raag Devgandhari, AGGS, Page, 532-2

ਮੈ ਨਾਹੀ ਕਛੁ ਹਉ ਨਹੀ ਕਿਛੁ ਆਹਿ ਨ ਮੋਰਾ॥ ਅਉਸਰ ਲਜਾ ਰਾਖਿ ਲੇਹੁ ਸਧਨਾ ਜਨੁ ਤੇਰਾ॥

Mai Naahi Kuch How Nahee Kich Aah Na Mora, Aousar Lajaa Raakh Layh Sadhna Jan Tora.

I am nothing, I have nothing, and nothing belongs to me. Now, protect my honor; Sadhana is Your humble servant.-----Bhagat Sadhana, Raag Bilawal, AGGS, Page, 858-17

Virinder S.Grewal

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: