• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Hukamnama-No Different To Reading A Horoscope?

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Brothers and sisters I believe Hukamnama is like a morsel of food for your soul. It is free but you better digest it, i.e. understand it. Otherwise it will be like what goes in one ear comes out the other ear. You can take it with coffee, tea, orange juice, milk, bacon, eggs, bagel, donuts or toast. For those who hate caffeine, sugar, dairy products, vegans, people on diet, they can take it with plain water.

It is a wonderful opportunity for reflection so I believe that is how it is and not what Horoscopes (entertainment) do.

Horoscopes divide the world by twelve and tell what almost 600 million (7 billion people divided by 12) people in a given category should expect from their day. Trust it with a big grain of salt.

I hope I am not digressing below as there was a point raised about Mysticism,

Van Morrison - Into The Mystic (Original Version) - YouTube

Sat Sri Akal.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Harry ji,

Guru Fateh.

Thanks for your one more important and inquisitive question. As mentioned before, you make us better Sikhs by sharing your innermost thoughts.

Allow me to add my 2 cent worth.

Hukumnaama is just one miniscule part of this Sikhi journey. I disagree with you that it is like a horoscope. It is rather a "Spring board" of the day. It directs us, gives us the indication how to conduct our that day's chores and responsibilities. It is like a "Post It" note for the day.

So, random opening of the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji implies, that a Sikh already is in-tuned with Gurbani and reads it daily, does sehaj paath and understands what he/she reads so it can be practiced in one's life. This is the reason, I mention that this is just the smallest part of the daily tradition of the whole affair.

Actually, random opening should be just done once when we do the Parkash, that is opening the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji for the day but sadly it is not the case anymore. It should only be done in the morning and that Hukumnaama becomes the GPS of the day. It is more due to gravity and the usual Hukumnaama is from page 450 to 700.

But unfortunately, now a days, in many local Gurdwaras, the Granthis open/mark the pages according to the occasions and the requests by the Sangat so the Hukumnaama is according to their wishes. As the Granthi is paid the money before or after, it becomes made to order pizza with extra toppings- so to speak, which is a sheer bribe. Here, we get into the ritualistic side of Sikhi which is meaningless, where the understanding and practicing of the contents of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji do not even take the back seat but stay parked in the parking lot.

Thanks & regards

Tejwant Singh

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Thank you both Tejwantji, Ambersariaji,

I am happy with the concept of daily hukamnama, it makes a lot of sense, and I can see why it is done, that just leaves us with the specific hukamnama that is sometimes carried out to ask a question, some thoughts on that would be great

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Thank you both Tejwantji, Ambersariaji,

I am happy with the concept of daily hukamnama, it makes a lot of sense, and I can see why it is done, that just leaves us with the specific hukamnama that is sometimes carried out to ask a question, some thoughts on that would be great
Today's Hukamnama from Darbar Sahib with my understanding,

http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/view.php?pg=daily-hukumnama (November 21st, 2011)

ਸੂਹੀ ਮਹਲਾ

सूही महला ४ ॥
Sūhī mėhlā 4.
Soohee, Fourth Mehl:
ਸੂਹੀ ਚੌਥੀ ਪਾਤਿਸ਼ਾਹੀ।
xxx

xxx

ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਭਜਿਓ ਪੁਰਖੋਤਮੁ ਸਭਿ ਬਿਨਸੇ ਦਾਲਦ ਦਲਘਾ

हरि हरि नामु भजिओ पुरखोतमु सभि बिनसे दालद दलघा ॥
Har har nām bẖaji▫o purkẖoṯam sabẖ binse ḏālaḏ ḏalgẖā.
I chant and vibrate the Name of the Lord God, the Supreme Being, Har, Har; my poverty and problems have all been eradicated.
ਮੈਂ ਪਰਮ ਪੁਰਸ਼, ਸੁਆਮੀ ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਦੇ ਨਾਮ ਦਾ ਉਚਾਰਨ ਕਰਦਾ ਹਾਂ ਅਤੇ ਮੇਰੀ ਗਰੀਬੀ ਅਤੇ ਪਾਪਾਂ ਦੀਆਂ ਫੌਜਾਂ ਸਮੂਹ ਨਾਸ ਹੋ ਗਈਆਂ ਹਨ।
ਪੁਰਖੋਤਮੁ = ਉੱਤਮ ਪੁਰਖ, ਪ੍ਰਭੂ। ਸਭਿ = ਸਾਰੇ। ਦਾਲਦ = ਦਲਿਦ੍ਰ, ਗਰੀਬੀਆਂ। ਦਲਘਾ = ਦਲ, ਸਮੂਹ।

ਜਿਸ ਮਨੁੱਖ ਨੇ ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਦਾ ਨਾਮ ਜਪਿਆ ਹੈ, ਹਰੀ ਉੱਤਮ ਪੁਰਖ ਨੂੰ ਜਪਿਆ ਹੈ, ਉਸ ਦੇ ਸਾਰੇ ਦਰਿੱਦ੍ਰ, ਦਲਾਂ ਦੇ ਦਲ ਨਾਸ ਹੋ ਗਏ ਹਨ।
When I seek understanding of the creator much of the nagging poverty is eliminated.

ਭਉ ਜਨਮ ਮਰਣਾ ਮੇਟਿਓ ਗੁਰ ਸਬਦੀ ਹਰਿ ਅਸਥਿਰੁ ਸੇਵਿ ਸੁਖਿ ਸਮਘਾ ੧॥

भउ जनम मरणा मेटिओ गुर सबदी हरि असथिरु सेवि सुखि समघा ॥१॥
Bẖa▫o janam marṇā meti▫o gur sabḏī har asthir sev sukẖ samgẖā. ||1||
The fear of birth and death has been erased, through the Word of the Guru's Shabad; serving the Unmoving, Unchanging Lord, I am absorbed in peace. ||1||
ਗੁਰਾਂ ਦੀ ਬਾਣੀ ਰਾਹੀਂ ਮੇਰਾ ਜਨਮ ਤੇ ਮਰਨ ਦਾ ਡਰ ਦੂਰ ਹੋ ਗਿਆ ਹੈ। ਸਦੀਵੀ ਸਥਿਰ ਸੁਆਮੀ ਦੀ ਘਾਲ ਕਮਾ ਕੇ ਮੈਂ ਆਰਾਮ ਅੰਦਰ ਲੀਨ ਹੋ ਗਿਆ ਹਾਂ।
ਅਸਥਿਰੁ = ਸਦਾ ਕਾਇਮ ਰਹਿਣ ਵਾਲਾ। ਸੇਵਿ = ਸਿਮਰ ਕੇ। ਸੁਖਿ = ਸੁਖ ਵਿਚ। ਸਮਘਾ = ਸਮਾ ਗਿਆ ॥੧॥

ਗੁਰੂਦੇ ਸ਼ਬਦ ਵਿਚ ਜੁੜ ਕੇ ਉਸ ਮਨੁੱਖ ਨੇ ਜਨਮ ਮਰਨ ਦਾ ਡਰ ਭੀ ਮੁਕਾ ਲਿਆ। ਸਦਾ-ਥਿਰ ਰਹਿਣਵਾਲੇ ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਦੀ ਸੇਵਾ-ਭਗਤੀ ਕਰ ਕੇ ਉਹ ਆਨੰਦ ਵਿਚ ਲੀਨ ਹੋ ਗਿਆ ॥੧॥
The fear of birth and death are removed in comfort of creator’s understanding and submersion.

ਮੇਰੇ ਮਨ ਭਜੁ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮ ਅਤਿ ਪਿਰਘਾ

मेरे मन भजु राम नाम अति पिरघा ॥
Mere man bẖaj rām nām aṯ pirgẖā.
O my mind, vibrate the Name of the most Beloved, Darling Lord.
ਹੇ ਮੇਰੀ ਜਿੰਦੜੀਏ! ਤੂੰ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦੇ ਪਰਮ ਪਿਆਰੇ ਨਾਮ ਦਾ ਆਰਾਧਨ ਕਰ।
ਮਨ = ਹੇ ਮਨ! ਪਿਰਘਾ = ਪਿਆਰਾ।

ਹੇ ਮੇਰੇ ਮਨ! ਸਦਾ ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਦਾ ਅੱਤ ਪਿਆਰਾ ਨਾਮ ਸਿਮਰਿਆ ਕਰ।
My mind study with love the creator’s understanding.

ਮੈ ਮਨੁ ਤਨੁ ਅਰਪਿ ਧਰਿਓ ਗੁਰ ਆਗੈ ਸਿਰੁ ਵੇਚਿ ਲੀਓ ਮੁਲਿ ਮਹਘਾ ੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ

मै मनु तनु अरपि धरिओ गुर आगै सिरु वेचि लीओ मुलि महघा ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥
Mai man ṯan arap ḏẖari▫o gur āgai sir vecẖ lī▫o mul mahgẖā. ||1|| rahā▫o.
I have dedicated my mind and body, and placed them in offering before the Guru; I have sold my head to the Guru, for a very dear price. ||1||Pause||
ਆਪਣੀ ਜਿੰਦੜੀ ਅਤੇ ਦੇਹਨੂੰ ਸਮਰਪਣ ਕਰ ਦੇ, ਮੈਂ ਉਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਆਪਣੇ ਗੁਰਾਂ ਮੂਹਰੇ ਰੱਖ ਦਿੱਤਾ ਹੈ। ਆਪਣਾ ਸੀਸਮੈਂ ਅਕਰੇ ਨਿਰਖ ਤੇ ਫਰੋਖਤ ਕਰ ਦਿੱਤਾ ਹੈ। ਠਹਿਰਾਉ।
ਅਰਪਿ = ਅਰਪ ਕੇ, ਭੇਟਾ ਕਰ ਕੇ। ਮੁਲਿ ਮਹਘਾ = ਮਹਿੰਗੇ ਮੁੱਲ ॥੧॥

ਮੈਂਆਪਣਾ ਮਨ ਆਪਣਾ ਸਰੀਰ ਭੇਟਾ ਕਰ ਕੇ ਗੁਰੂ ਦੇ ਅੱਗੇ ਰੱਖ ਦਿੱਤਾ ਹੈ। ਮੈਂ ਆਪਣਾ ਸਿਰਮਹਿੰਗੇ ਮੁੱਲ ਦੇ ਵੱਟੇ ਵੇਚ ਦਿੱਤਾ ਹੈ (ਮੈਂ ਸਿਰ ਦੇ ਇਵਜ਼ ਕੀਮਤੀ ਹਰਿ-ਨਾਮ ਲੈ ਲਿਆਹੈ) ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ॥
I sacrificed my body and mind and actually struck a great bargain by offering my head in return for creator’s understanding.

ਨਰਪਤਿ ਰਾਜੇ ਰੰਗ ਰਸ ਮਾਣਹਿ ਬਿਨੁ ਨਾਵੈ ਪਕੜਿ ਖੜੇ ਸਭਿ ਕਲਘਾ

नरपति राजे रंग रस माणहि बिनु नावै पकड़ि खड़े सभि कलघा ॥
Narpaṯ rāje rang ras māṇėh bin nāvai pakaṛ kẖaṛe sabẖ kalgẖā.
The kings and the rulers of men enjoy pleasures and delights, but without the Name of the Lord, death seizes and dispatches them all.
ਮਨੁੱਖਾਂ ਦੇ ਮਾਲਕ, ਬਾਦਸ਼ਾਹ ਖੁੱਸ਼ੀਆਂ ਅਤੇ ਸੁਆਦ ਭੋਗਦੇ ਹਨ ਪ੍ਰੰਤੂ ਨਾਮ ਦੇ ਬਗੈਰ, ਮੌਤ ਉਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਸਾਰਿਆਂ ਨੂੰ ਫੜ ਕੇ ਲੈ ਜਾਂਦੀ ਹੈ।
ਨਰਪਤਿ = ਰਾਜੇ। ਮਾਣਹਿ = ਮਾਣਦੇ ਹਨ। ਪਕੜਿ = ਫੜ ਕੇ। ਸਭਿ = ਸਾਰੇ। ਕਲਘਾ = ਕਾਲ, ਮੌਤ, ਆਤਮਕ ਮੌਤ।

ਦੁਨੀਆਦੇ ਰਾਜੇ ਮਹਾਰਾਜੇ (ਮਾਇਆ ਦੇ) ਰੰਗ ਰਸ ਮਾਣਦੇ ਰਹਿੰਦੇ ਹਨ, ਨਾਮ ਤੋਂ ਸੱਖਣੇ ਰਹਿੰਦੇਹਨ, ਉਹਨਾਂ ਸਭਨਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਆਤਮਕ ਮੌਤ ਫੜ ਕੇ ਅੱਗੇ ਲਾ ਲੈਂਦੀ ਹੈ।
The worldly Kings and monarchs are engulfed in worldly pleasures only to be taken away at death.

ਧਰਮ ਰਾਇ ਸਿਰਿ ਡੰਡੁ ਲਗਾਨਾ ਫਿਰਿ ਪਛੁਤਾਨੇ ਹਥ ਫਲਘਾ ੨॥

धरम राइ सिरि डंडु लगाना फिरि पछुताने हथ फलघा ॥२॥
Ḏẖaram rā▫e sir dand lagānā fir pacẖẖuṯāne hath falgẖā. ||2||
The Righteous Judge of Dharma strikes them over the heads with his staff, and when the fruits of their actions come into their hands, then they regret and repent. ||2||
ਧਰਮ ਰਾਜੇ ਦਾ ਡੰਡਾ ਉਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਦੇ ਸਿਰ ਉਤੇ ਵਜਦਾ ਹੈ ਅਤੇ ਜਦ ਉਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਉਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਦੇ ਕਰਮਾਂ ਦਾ ਫਲ ਮਿਲਦਾ ਹੈ, ਜਦ ਉਹ ਪਸਚਾਤਾਪ ਕਰਦੇ ਹਨ।
ਸਿਰਿ = ਸਿਰ ਉਤੇ। ਹਥ = ਹੱਥਾਂ ਵਿਚ {ਬਹੁ-ਵਚਨ}। ਫਲਘਾ = ਫਲ, ਕਰਮਾਂ ਦਾ ਫਲ ॥੨॥

ਜਦੋਂ ਉਹਨਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਕੀਤੇ ਕਰਮਾਂ ਦਾ ਫਲ ਮਿਲਦਾ ਹੈ, ਜਦੋਂ ਉਹਨਾਂ ਦੇ ਸਿਰ ਉਤੇ ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਦਾ ਡੰਡਾ ਵੱਜਦਾ ਹੈ, ਤਦੋਂ ਪਛਤਾਂਦੇ ਹਨ ॥੨॥
In judgment of creator they find lot to regret.

ਹਰਿ ਰਾਖੁ ਰਾਖੁ ਜਨ ਕਿਰਮ ਤੁਮਾਰੇ ਸਰਣਾਗਤਿ ਪੁਰਖ ਪ੍ਰਤਿਪਲਘਾ

हरि राखु राखु जन किरम तुमारे सरणागति पुरख प्रतिपलघा ॥
Har rākẖ rākẖ jan kiram ṯumāre sarṇāgaṯ purakẖ parṯipalagẖā.
Save me, save me, Lord; I am Your humble servant, a mere worm. I seek the Protection of Your Sanctuary, O Primal Lord, Cherisher and Nourisher.
ਮੇਰੀ ਰਖਿਆ, ਰੱਖਿਆ ਕਰ, ਹੇ ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ! ਮੈਂ ਤੇਰਾ ਕੀਟ ਗੋਲਾ ਹਾਂ। ਮੈਂ ਤੇਰੀ ਪਨਾਹ ਲਈ ਹੈ; ਹੇ ਮੇਰੇ ਪ੍ਰਤਿਪਾਲਣਹਾਰ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ!
ਕਿਰਮ = ਕੀੜੇ, ਨਿਮਾਣੇ ਜੀਵ। ਸਰਣਾਗਤਿ = ਸਰਨ ਆਏ ਹਾਂ। ਪੁਰਖ = ਹੇ ਸਰਬ-ਵਿਆਪਕ! ਪ੍ਰਤਿਪਲਘਾ = ਹੇ ਪ੍ਰਤਿਪਾਲ! ਹੇ ਪਾਲਣਹਾਰ!

ਹੇ ਹਰੀ! ਹੇ ਪਾਲਣਹਾਰ ਸਰਬ-ਵਿਆਪਕ! ਅਸੀਂ ਤੇਰੇ (ਪੈਦਾ ਕੀਤੇ) ਨਿਮਾਣੇ ਜੀਵ ਹਾਂ, ਅਸੀਂ ਤੇਰੀ ਸਰਨ ਆਏ ਹਾਂ, ਤੂੰ ਆਪ (ਆਪਣੇ) ਸੇਵਕਾਂ ਦੀ ਰੱਖਿਆ ਕਰ।
Oh the great savior creator we are at your feet save your humble followers.

ਦਰਸਨੁ ਸੰਤ ਦੇਹੁ ਸੁਖੁ ਪਾਵੈ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਲੋਚ ਪੂਰਿ ਜਨੁ ਤੁਮਘਾ ੩॥

दरसनु संत देहु सुखु पावै प्रभ लोच पूरि जनु तुमघा ॥३॥
Ḏarsan sanṯ ḏeh sukẖ pāvai parabẖ locẖ pūr jan ṯumgẖā. ||3||
Please bless me with the Blessed Vision of the Saint's Darshan, that I may find peace. O God, please fulfill the desires of Your humble servant. ||3||
ਮੈਨੂੰ ਆਪਣੇ ਸਾਧੂ ਦਾ ਦੀਦਾਰ ਬਖਸ਼, ਤਾਂ ਜੋ ਮੈਨੂੰ ਸ਼ਾਂਤੀ ਪਰਾਪਤ ਹੋਵੇ। ਮੇਰੀ ਸੱਧਰ ਪੂਰੀ ਕਰ। ਹੇ ਸਾਹਿਬ! ਕਿਉਂ ਜੋ ਮੈਂ ਤੇਰਾ ਗੋਲਾ ਹਾਂ।
ਲੋਚ = ਤਾਂਘ। ਪੂਰਿ = ਪੂਰੀ ਕਰ। ਤੁਮਘਾ = ਤੇਰਾ ॥੩॥

ਹੇ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ! ਮੈਂ ਤੇਰਾ ਦਾਸ ਹਾਂ, ਦਾਸ ਦੀ ਤਾਂਘ ਪੂਰੀ ਕਰ, ਇਸ ਦਾਸ ਨੂੰ ਸੰਤ ਜਨਾਂ ਦਾ ਦਰਸਨ ਬਖ਼ਸ਼ (ਤਾ ਕਿ ਇਹ ਦਾਸ) ਆਤਮਕ ਆਨੰਦ ਪ੍ਰਾਪਤ ਕਰ ਸਕੇ ॥੩॥
Let me, the humble follower, fulfill the longing and enjoy your realization.

ਤੁਮ ਸਮਰਥ ਪੁਰਖ ਵਡੇ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਸੁਆਮੀ ਮੋ ਕਉ ਕੀਜੈ ਦਾਨੁ ਹਰਿ ਨਿਮਘਾ

तुम समरथ पुरख वडे प्रभ सुआमी मो कउ कीजै दानु हरि निमघा ॥
Ŧum samrath purakẖ vade parabẖ su▫āmī mo ka▫o kījai ḏān har nimgẖā.
You are the All-powerful, Great, Primal God, my Lord and Master. O Lord, please bless me with the gift of humility.
ਤੂੰ ਸਰਬ-ਸ਼ਕਤੀਵਾਨ ਤੇ ਵਿਸ਼ਾਲ ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ, ਪਾਰਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਪਰਮੇਸ਼ਵਰ ਹੈਂ। ਹੇ ਠਾਕੁਰ! ਤੂੰ ਮੈਨੂੰ ਨਿਮ੍ਰਿਤਾ ਦੀ ਦਾਤ ਬਖਸ਼।
ਪ੍ਰਭ = ਹੇ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ! ਕਉ = ਨੂੰ। ਮੋ ਕਉ = ਮੈਨੂੰ। ਨਿਮਘਾ = ਨਿਮਖ ਭਰ, ਛਿਨ ਭਰ ਲਈ {निमेष = ਅੱਖ ਝਮਕਣ ਜਿਤਨਾ ਸਮਾ}

ਹੇ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ! ਹੇ ਸਭ ਤੋਂ ਵੱਡੇ ਮਾਲਕ! ਤੂੰ ਸਾਰੀਆਂ ਤਾਕਤਾਂ ਦਾ ਮਾਲਕ ਪੁਰਖ ਹੈਂ। ਮੈਨੂੰ ਇਕ ਛਿਨ ਵਾਸਤੇ ਹੀ ਆਪਣੇ ਨਾਮ ਦਾ ਦਾਨ ਦੇਹ।
Creator, the highest master, bless me even for blink of an eye.

ਜਨ ਨਾਨਕ ਨਾਮੁ ਮਿਲੈ ਸੁਖੁ ਪਾਵੈ ਹਮ ਨਾਮ ਵਿਟਹੁ ਸਦ ਘੁਮਘਾ ੪॥੨॥

जन नानक नामु मिलै सुखु पावै हम नाम विटहु सद घुमघा ॥४॥२॥
Jan Nānak nām milai sukẖ pāvai ham nām vitahu saḏ gẖumgẖā. ||4||2||
Servant Guru Nanak has found the Naam, the Name of the Lord, and is at peace; I am forever a sacrifice to the Naam. ||4||2||
ਨਾਮ ਨੂੰ ਹਾਸਲ ਕਰਕੇ ਨਫਰ ਨਾਨਕ ਆਰਾਮ ਪਾਉਂਦਾ ਹੈ। ਮੈਂ ਹਮੇਸ਼ਾਂ ਤੇਰੇ ਨਾਮ ਉਤੋਂ ਘੋਲੀ ਜਾਂਦਾ ਹਾਂ, ਹੇ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ!
ਵਿਟਹੁ = ਤੋਂ। ਘੁਮਘਾ = ਕੁਰਬਾਨ ॥੪॥੨॥

ਹੇ ਦਾਸ ਨਾਨਕ! ਜਿਸ ਨੂੰ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦਾ ਨਾਮ ਪ੍ਰਾਪਤ ਹੁੰਦਾ ਹੈ, ਉਹ ਆਨੰਦ ਮਾਣਦਾ ਹੈ। ਮੈਂ ਸਦਾ ਹਰਿ-ਨਾਮ ਤੋਂ ਸਦਕੇ ਹਾਂ ॥੪॥੨॥
Humble Guru Nanak, one who understands the creator finds comfort, I forever offer all of me to the creator’s understanding.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:UseFELayout/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->
ESSENCE: Guru ji discuss the importance of seeking creator’s understanding. Lot of mental clarity, comfort and happiness is associated with such. The flip side is that even the mightiest of the mighty will eventually regret ignoring such. Guru ji jokingly compare that he traded his head, suggesting it to be a great bargain, to buy creator’s understanding.
All errors are mine and I stand corrected.

Sat Sri Akal.

Last edited:

Scarlet Pimpernel

We seek him here,we sikh
Writer
SPNer
May 31, 2011
In the Self
ESSENCE: Guru ji discuss the importance of seeking creator’s understanding. Lot of mental clarity, comfort and happiness is associated with such. The flip side is that even the mightiest of the mighty will eventually regret ignoring such. Guru ji jokingly compare that he traded his head, suggesting it to be a great bargain, to buy creator’s understanding

Veer Ji ,No matter what the shabad ,the essence to me is always:

WaheGuru... WaheGuru...WaheGuru... ofcourse the particulars of each Shabad will be different.

Last edited:

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
No matter what the shabad the essence to me is always:

WaheGuru... WaheGuru...WaheGuru...
Sinner veer ji you are very right in the above.

In a way the word carries same connotation as "Allah is Great" in Islam.

Only catch is what is meant by "Guru" in "WaheGuru".

Let us look at couple of understandings,

1. If Guru refers to Creator we know then we are saying "Creator is Great" and we also know very well as per Gurbani that creator cannot be full known. Hence we are saying "Great" without knowing what but I can settle for saying so as we marvel at the creator in awe and some understanding or plain awe is fine too.

2. There is also an equally valid interpretation to say in light of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji and in "Waheguru" praise the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. This is also very possible and perhaps understood and practiced by many when they utter "Waheguru". The question again comes up whether "Waheguru" is a word for respect or respectful statement based on one's understanding what one understands from Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. It could simply be again in terms of respect or some understanding or part of both. Again it is OK for me to accept or relate to.

When we follow someone, for example "Waheguru" simran it is important for leader of such simran to clarify what we are doing in terms of the above so at least one is aware as otherwise following is of no consequence as you don't know what you are following.

What do you think when you do "Waheguru Waheguru" or you don't relate it to nothing and let it be?

Sat Sri Akal.

Last edited:

ksandhu83

SPNer
Nov 16, 2011
Horoscope is a prediction about future but hukamnama is totally different. what i think is hukamnama is our daily homework like student gets from school. so we need to practice that while doing our daily life things and one day we will bring all the guidance of guru ji in our life style. we can't implement whole guru granth sahib ji in one day. asking question from guru ji is not bad as guru je ordered "Guru Granth ke maneyo partakh guru ke deh"
now the level of question depends on our awastha. if we start living our life under guru's hukam then all questions will vanish. what should i ask god for my whole life is already planned let god handle it. " hukame ander sab ko bahar hukam na koi" When ever "I" comes to our daily life then only questions start arising. it is the initial stage of bhagti it could only be crossed with simran or meditation then all questions will go away.
is one horoscope for whole man kind ????????? but one hukam nama is for all the man kind.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Veer ji I don't do it ,I don't think it ,I don't relate it ,I don't let it be,now do you see that it thinks me.

Thank you veer ji. That is just peachy too. As 6.88 billion people don't do it like us either or at least use the exact word "Waheguru" and they are no less part of creation.

mundahug

Sat Sri Akal

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
If I ask for a Hukamnana to give me advice on what to do with my life, is that not asking for a miracle? is not that requesting some sort of magical power to point me the way to the answer?

Harry ji
It is only magic if one does not understand the trick. (though the trick must still be performed even after it is understood, otherwise what use is there in understanding it) Once you understand that the magician had the bunny in the hat all along, is it still magic?

The trick is that opening up to a random page and selecting a shabad is more likely to bring the attention of the reader to the shabad, and that which the shabad describes/prescribes. This conscious awareness of the shabad then becomes the grounding conscious awareness throughout the day.
As SP ji says, the essence of all shabad is "waheguru waheguru waheguru..." the grounding conscious awareness.

It is magic when the trick works out correctly. It is true that you have the bunny, the conscious awareness all along and that you could simply pull the bunny out of any old hat, any ritual. You may choose to follow this traditional ritual or you may choose to follow your own rituals. But to pull the bunny out of this one hat specifically is tradition and it brings people together in congregations.

And you know the importance of congregations...

PS A friend your age suggested that I stick to art but I want to get better with analogies and figurative language. It's fun! Hope this one made more sense to you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mysticism <-- check this out too.

Last edited:

Scarlet Pimpernel

We seek him here,we sikh
Writer
SPNer
May 31, 2011
In the Self
at least use the exact word "Waheguru" and

Ambarsaria Ji That was an example what I meant is Naam,whatever comes naturally say it in thought ,he knows his name,even if you don't say it, he hears it,you know how unorthdox Sikh I am so you must realise that is not what I call him,but if you are praying to the Universe like some Sikhs have taken to doing then I guess you should call him matter or antimatter, but in any case it won't matter.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Ambarsaria Ji That was an example what I meant is Naam,whatever comes naturally say it in thought ,he knows his name,even if you don't say it, he hears it,you know how unorthdox Sikh I am so you must realise that is not what I call him,but if you are praying to the Universe like some Sikhs have taken to doing then I guess you should call him matter or antimatter, but in any case it won't matter.
Veer I am OK with that. It must perhaps be few thousand times uttered Waheguru with different understandings and contexts.

Is matter anti-matter like Christ and anti-Christ! I did not know that you have scientific interests.

My posts are more to share thoughts for younger folks at times and trigger hopefully some reflective thinking. Sometimes these are pretty cheap, low and arrogant too so I seek forgiveness.

Sat Sri Akal.

PS: Now what did Bhagat Singh ji do to his avatar picture. Just because Harry did not like it now we got what I don't like mundahug . Now who would not like ascarlet flower, easy way out SP ji lol

Last edited:

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Does a devious smirk work on Guru Nanak as he squeezes one roti to reveal blood and the other to reveal milk? I guess in some way it does.

(A painting I was working on earlier this year from which I cropped out the avatar.)

Edit: I am not sure how it is a devious smirk actually!?

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Edit: I am not sure how it is a devious smirk actually!?
It is off topic so anyone can delete it. But devious smirk is eyes looking lower, mild furrows on the forehead and less than half a smile. Yes it will fit the milk/blood dichotomy theme rather than say an anger look at blood and blissful at milk.

Sat Sri Akal.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
"Good" , "Bad" and "so-so" Hukmanmahs are the result of ritual behaviour. Today its so common to hear people say..I paid the Granthi so much, donated so much to the Goluck..and still got a "bad" hukmnamah....hence the Granthis pay so much attention to give what is expected/demanded...for a person supposedly thanking Guru Ji for a son..new buisness venture..new house...etc etc the Guru has to declare..."Lakh khushian patshahiahn..je satgur nadar kareh..OR the person will be sorely disappointed that the Guru is not "happy" for him or sharing his happiness !! Hence the Granthi makes SURE the Guru says what Hes SUPPOSED TO !! And woe to the GURU IF his Hukmnamah declares Lakh Khusishn patshahin when the person is grieving for a dead son, loss of a court case.....IN THAT case the Granthi who has been well prepared by information provided beforehand...then ensures the GURU issues the most appropriate Hukmnamah that will "give comfort" as expected...

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Harry ji
It is only magic if one does not understand the trick. (though the trick must still be performed even after it is understood, otherwise what use is there in understanding it) Once you understand that the magician had the bunny in the hat all along, is it still magic?

The trick is that opening up to a random page and selecting a shabad is more likely to bring the attention of the reader to the shabad, and that which the shabad describes/prescribes. This conscious awareness of the shabad then becomes the grounding conscious awareness throughout the day.
As SP ji says, the essence of all shabad is "waheguru waheguru waheguru..." the grounding conscious awareness.

It is magic when the trick works out correctly. It is true that you have the bunny, the conscious awareness all along and that you could simply pull the bunny out of any old hat, any ritual. You may choose to follow this traditional ritual or you may choose to follow your own rituals. But to pull the bunny out of this one hat specifically is tradition and it brings people together in congregations.

And you know the importance of congregations...

PS A friend your age suggested that I stick to art but I want to get better with analogies and figurative language. It's fun! Hope this one made more sense to you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mysticism <-- check this out too.

I thought about this thread till the early hours, the argument I was trying to make was that there was enough pragmatic information in the SGGS to explain most things, I have now come up with rational explanations for most of the Sikhi traditions, hair, booze, etc, and everything makes a sense without even a tiny drop of spiritualism or mysticism, however, although I live life pretty much as I wish, and balance that with an attempt to enrich Creation with as of my input as I can, and that is my life, but there is something missing, a void that never gets filled, I attempt to smooth it over with help from the five thieves, but as I start filling it, it empties, filling a void like this with the thieves help is a pointless and destructive task, yet, to embrace the mystical and spiritual aspect of Sikhism, which would be the logical next step, is closed to me, why? and it is this question I asked myself last night, Why is this step closed to me, surely it could be the most enriching thing I have ever discovered about Sikhism, Surely it is the icing on the cake, to have a full and strong connection established in my head to the essence, so Why not?

The answer is easy, it is fear, I fear the connection, and I fear it because as soon as I have that connection, then me, Harry, must die, the personality that I am, can not continue if this connection goes ahead, for most of my lifestyle would not be in line with a complete connection, I would certainly become the person I wish to be, but that person is so far away from who I am, that who I am would cease, and I do not wish to die just yet, I like having the thieves round for a good old party, not often, but sometimes, it is only to my self that I behave like this, to others I am a good sikh, but I am not to myself, so there it is, Fear.........

Oct 21, 2009
India
The answer is easy, it is fear, I fear the connection, and I fear it because as soon as I have that connection, then me, Harry, must die, the personality that I am, can not continue if this connection goes ahead, for most of my lifestyle would not be in line with a complete connection, I would certainly become the person I wish to be, but that person is so far away from who I am, that who I am would cease, and I do not wish to die just yet, I like having the thieves round for a good old party, not often, but sometimes, it is only to my self that I behave like this, to others I am a good sikh, but I am not to myself, so there it is, Fear.........

Very well though of and authored post.!
Harry the Great , shall never die ;his personality shall remain intact if he so wishes.
I have not reached that stage in my life that should have compelled me to analyze the things so objectively. If you have reached that stage ,where you think you can connect with the higher Ups, the next logical aspect is to proceed ahead or Ascend. This is the path shown to us by Guru Sahibs. I am no one to tell you things that you can analyze so well.
The next stage of having a direct connection is naturally the stage that should logically happen to a man. We have five realms in Jap ji sahib. I might be yet in the basest of all the realms that I cannot find out where I am. You are lucky Harry ji that you can take your bearings and decide for yourself. Being at a level much below I cannot react to your post in any other manner except to state that you should always be in ascending mode and take your chances. One can always descend ,probably, as it is the natural human tendency. Law of gravity also states the same.
I don's think if this makes any sense to a person who, himself knows, the path and has not decided to walk it over.
Bhul Chuk Mauf

Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM