• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

How To Make A Differece - For All Sikhs

Maskeen

SPNer
Oct 24, 2006
This is how the young sikhs might usher in a slow revolution

(i) Discard castist last names - upon being asked your got - answer your ancestors were the lowest of low castes but ever since they embraced khalsa they didnt have a caste any more. Refuse to participate in a discussion where caste is mentioned.
(Jo sikh kee puche jaat oh nahin mera sikh aad jugaad - GGS)
(ii) Join Amnesty/Human Rights watch or some other human rights group and bring to their knowledge all that was done to our people - a few thousand sikhs are still languishing in Indian jails without trial. (Upon request I can provide you with a power point presentation ).
(iii) Donate blood regularly and organize doantion drives with help of your local sangat. Also be ready for bone marrow / lung donation (for people suffering from CF ) (Mithya tan nahee parupkaraa ) ( A body that is not altruistic is false )
(iv) Do your dasbandh - Sponsor a child of a sikh shaheed. Gur Aasra Foundation, Canada Other similar trusts are bhai dharam singh and mata gujari. (sukh hovat sukh det )
(v) Organize Free English classes for new immigrants at the local gurughar . Most of us have the advantage of knowing both punjabi and english. I personally believe gurughars should be community centers where people can learn gurmat philosophy, gurmat sangeet, sikh and other martial arts, yoga and may also provide affordable day care.
(vi) Start meditating on Ek Onkar in harmony with your breathing (I will post more on this technique in a seperate post). (sass sass simrat raha nanak daan paye)
(vii) Make gurmat research a mission of your life and share your findings with others.
(viii) Keep fighting fit - guru's khalsa should be tyar bar tyar, make running, pull ups and push ups a part of your weakly workouts.
(ix) Do time as a reservist with your country's forces - A khalsa is supposed to respect and have a thorough knowledge of traditional as well as contemporary arms. (Khalsa soye jo lare hoe age )
(x) Confront your fears - take part in adventurous activities. (Bhai kahu ko det nahin nah bhai manat aun )

Please contribute to this list with your suggestions.

----------------------------------------
----------------------------------------

chk1

SPNer
Nov 25, 2006
stop judging people based on their religion, but see that everyone is different.
Treat others how you yourself would like to be treated.

Let me finish with this wonderful quote, i think this sums my reply up:

"I love you when you bow in the mosque, when you kneel in the temple, when you pray in church.
For you and i are sons of one religion, and it is the spirit."
- Kahlil Gibran

chk1

SPNer
Nov 25, 2006
Our differences should be celebrated, not the reason to allow us to be seperate from each other.
We are children of one God, we are not seperate from each other or from God because we share the same spirit.
Have you heard of "what goes around comes around", if we were to treat others on how they want to be treated, that would come back to us and might not necessarily be a pleasant experience. You would want respect and to be treated as an equal so if you treat people that way REGARDLESS of our differences then it will come back to you too.

Jesus said "Do to others what you would have done unto you"

It is this seperatist theory that causes us to be distance from one another, accepting that everything and everyone is one would overcome this issue.

May 16, 2005
Vernon, BC Canada
Our differences should be celebrated, not the reason to allow us to be seperate from each other.
We are children of one God, we are not seperate from each other or from God because we share the same spirit.
Have you heard of "what goes around comes around", if we were to treat others on how they want to be treated, that would come back to us and might not necessarily be a pleasant experience. You would want respect and to be treated as an equal so if you treat people that way REGARDLESS of our differences then it will come back to you too.

Jesus said "Do to others what you would have done unto you"

It is this separatist theory that causes us to be distance from one another, accepting that everything and everyone is one would overcome this issue.
Very good points chk1, perhaps both could be done, and it would make us see what others feel instead of us thinking what they feel. What we need to do to "Our differences should be celebrated, not the reason to allow us to be separate from each other." we need to show that in our temples and communities. Like have other languages available to people of other backgrounds, and have separate language congregations, we also need to realize that people are the way they are, and we have no right to change that.

Maskeen

SPNer
Oct 24, 2006
I forgot to add organ dontation to be made the first ceremony upon a sikh's passing away.

Altruism is a basic tenet of sikhism and must be adhered to in all situations.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM