• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Leisure How To Drape A Net Dupatta With Anarkali Suit

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
I just ordered a beautiful anarkali suit from Utsav fashion online, and it arrived yesterday. I got it for an upcoming dinner / dance event here around the time of Vaisakhi. (Its not the Vaisakhi event at the Gurdwara but a dinner / dance held elsewhere) I fell in love with the empire waistline which instantly makes me look 10 lbs thinner (amazing!) and the colour and intricate embroidery make me feel like a princess!!!

Only issue is the dupatta is net material... not chiffon. Chiffon is very thin and drapes easily, because it doesn't puff up. Net material seems to be thicker, puffs up and slips easily.

What are the ways to wear it with this suit?? The way I have in the photo (which is me btw) is the way I see a lot of people wear it. Over one shoulder hanging in front, and then around back and draped over the opposite arm. Its haphazard in this photo -but it was slipping too. Should it be pinned at the shoulder to keep it neat?? Any other ways to wear it??

Sorry for the blurry cell phone pic btw. I just wanted to snap a very quick photo... and I blurred the background so you wouldnt see my messy apartment! LOL

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Try wearing another contrasting turban or chunni, with the net over top of it. Fix with a hat pin. Or drape on your shoulders without turban or chunni. You don't have to have your head covered.

A dupatta is not strictly a head covering. Also the anarkali suits are not shown or worn with a head covering in my limited experience.

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
Exactly, I don't need it to cover my head, so I was wondering how to drape it... it has a beautiful border so I'd like to wear it as part of the suit, but it doesn't work draped with the ends over the back of both shoulders like the most common way... Its too bunchy and the net material doesnt sit right.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
http://www.goodhowto.com/how-to-drape_net_dupatta/

from Google

On reflection it would be very difficult for someone to explain how to drape a dupatta either over your head or not over your head in words alone. Demos would seem better. The above link starts with one video ofhow to drape over the head. The remaining videos are quick illustrations of the dupatta draped over the shoulders. Pins are unavoidable.

Watch the pleating technique in Video 1 nonetheless, because the pleating it seems is essential to get a net dupatta to drape correctly even if used over the shoulders.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: