• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

How To Convert To Sikhism?

Azura

SPNer
May 30, 2012
Waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh!

My name is Azura, and I am a Muslim born in Malaysia.. I have a problem, I want to convert to Sikhism (not the problem) and my parents are OK with it, but I heard the government can get me into trouble if I convert to any religion if born a Muslim.. should I practice secretly..? Thanks

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Sikhs have been taught not to 'live and practice' Sikhi in secret. And on the other hand, we wouldn't like a sister (muslim or Sikh) to risk her life.

PS: Most of the govt.s can read the stuff you are posting. You should use TOR for anonymous browsing!

Searching

SPNer
Aug 8, 2011
Azura ji, If in your heart you are a sikh, believe in the Sikh Rehat Maryada, then you are a Sikh.
It does not matter if you formally convert to Sikhism or announce your conversion to the Malaysian government.
As far as I know Sikhs are not required to proclaim shahada like Muslims to declare their faith.

TruthSatnaam

SPNer
May 29, 2012
UK
Satnaam Ji

Sikhism is not a religion- Sikh means student.

We are students of Truth. Truth principles still exist in Islam, in christianity and other religious faiths. The problem is that much of the Brahmgyanis words(Jesus was a great brahmgyani- He taught us about acceptance of hukam, shaheedi and much more before the 10 Gurus did.) have been twisted and corupted by scholars and others over the years.

If you read Guru Granth Sahib Ji, and make a serious effort to Truly apply the gyan to your life, living in Truth and embarking on the path of the bhagat, you'll be able to pick these principles out of other faiths easily.

The thing is, that Truth never changes. It is, always has been and always will remain True. It was around during the age of Satyug (the age of Truth) and before.

It cannot be confined to a faith- if you believe that, then ask yourself, can the All Pervading God(the first One to discover and live the Truth- for Truth is a psychology- psychology is always there, it just needs to be found) be confined to a sect?

One of Guru Nanak Dev Ji's great Truth discoveries was that there is 'No Hindu, No Muslim'- i.e, no religious sects. The Gurus taught that we are all brothers and sisters, and furthermore, we are All the same- we are Truth- we just don't practice it enough to understand who we really are..

Truth is infinite- All pervading, Nirboah and Nirvair(All loving and fearless), beyond image and form.

If you're asked, tell them you follow the Truth- explain the gyan i've just conveyed and hold steadfast in your faith. Truth practitioners never lie(not even white lies), they Speak Truth, serve Truth, Deliver Truth and Die Truth. We can be tortured, killed, slandered etc, but we never forsake the Truth- Our Gurus taught us this, Brahmgyanis like Jesus taught us this in his acceptance of Martyrdom... Regardless of all the pain and pleasure, we can accept it All as Truth(As Him)- as Hukam- God's will.

God bless you to live a life of Gurbani.

sid

SPNer
Jun 9, 2012
india
hello i am siddharth singh born in kshatriya family,and want to become a sikh of revered gurus.

i have felt love of god in so many ways,he gave us chance to live,to become human,to speak,to watch,food,joy,this list is just unlimited and i understand as well that to test us he injected drops of hate,lust,ego,laziness, aggression,etc.
i find happiness in so many ways,but there are so many things which hurt me terribly,like now human fights human regularly like its their aim of life is to fight,so many animals and jungles have lost their existence only because of us and still process of nonexistence is going on and on.
i am quite sure that god must not appreciate it.
so under the guidance of gurus i want to move on for this mission,if any one can give me better suggestion kindly give it to me in detail,if some wants to show the correct path to reach under the proper guidance of revered gurus then kindly show it to me.

TruthSatnaam

SPNer
May 29, 2012
UK
Satnaam Siddharth Ji

hello i am siddharth singh born in kshatriya family,and want to become a sikh of revered gurus.

i have felt love of god in so many ways,he gave us chance to live,to become human,to speak,to watch,food,joy,this list is just unlimited and i understand as well that to test us he injected drops of hate,lust,ego,laziness, aggression,etc.
i find happiness in so many ways,but there are so many things which hurt me terribly,like now human fights human regularly like its their aim of life is to fight,so many animals and jungles have lost their existence only because of us and still process of nonexistence is going on and on.
i am quite sure that god must not appreciate it.

To the contrary, it is All God's will or Hukam. Everthing around you, the birds and the bees, the murderer, the rapist, the celebrity, the rich and poor people is God in different costumes- playing out this khel that we call life- experiencing and discovering.

This is His dream that we live in. He sat for many ages to discover himself- and finally, He discovered Himself to be Truth(Satnaam- Truth is His name). He lives and applies Truth 24/7, and so He Is always Truth.

He has given us the oppertunity to discover what He did in a fraction of the time- we discover it through the maya khel. The maya khel goes further than just earth- there are heavens and hells(we experience the heavenly state of mind while in the human janam through sukh and hell through dukh).

Everything with an image or form(within the 6 senses) is Maya- it's part of the khel. The Truth is: Nothing. God discovered Himself to be Nothing. He is a frequency beyond which those who are attached to Maya can comprehend.

Our purpose of life is to detach from this khel(this is a test world- it is just a game to Find Truth(Sat)) and then to teach others out of it aswell- we detach and discover and experience Truth(God) for ourselves by applying Truth principles of Gurbani to our lives.

We remember constantly that we are all Nothing just like Him- all is Truth, All has always been Truth- we are just deluded into thinking it is Something when really Everything is Nothing. We are really Him, He is Us, you are me, I am you- we are not separate.

All is Him(Truth)- Satnaam ji, Bas Tuhee Tu.

We live Nirboah-Fearlessness to accept God in All- including the Devil and the angel, our torturers and slanderers- all is just God in His different costumes- teaching us every moment.

and Nirvair- Being All loving beyond measure, loving God in every costume and situation He appears to us in- even if we're being hit or killed (The Gurus accepted shaheedi for this reason)..

We always tell the Truth- we don't even tell a white lie- we Speak Truth, Serve Truth, Deliver Truth, Die Truth. We live the Truth throughout our natural lives.

We relax and listen to the anhad naad(the first sound) which is the reflection of the frequency of Truth- of the silence(because even sound doesn't exist- theres only Nothing). The key is to let go and the samadhi take us over- and it is then that we begin to understand the universe around us.

Samadhi is silencing the mind, so that we are able to just Feel within our being. We begin to contemplate from the heart instead of the mind(which is the cause of the 5 thieves).

The mind is ego, it is the identity which we are attached to (attachment & ego are two of the 5 theives)- it is restricted to maya- whereas the True heart is Infinite like God.... Beacause our heart is His heart-which is Him- Because He is True Love(Nirboah and Nirvair). It is the entire creation and beyond..

God bless you

sid

SPNer
Jun 9, 2012
india
thank you very much i knew maya but i was not concerned about maya,what should be my initial steps to get out of this maya,and it will not happen suddenly it will happen gradually ,kindly guide me my brother.
god bless you

TruthSatnaam

SPNer
May 29, 2012
UK
thank you very much i knew maya but i was not concerned about maya,what should be my initial steps to get out of this maya,and it will not happen suddenly it will happen gradually ,kindly guide me my brother.
god bless you

Satnaam Ji

Here are steps you need to take first:

-Speak Truth, Serve Truth, Deliver Truth, Die Truth. Lying is a great blockage on the path of Truth.

The life of the Truth seeker is to apply the gyan(divine knowledge) they have learned 100% to their lives. The gyan is all in Guru Granth Sahib Ji- the very first page of Guru Granth Sahib contains what you need to know about God.

To apply the knowledge to our life, we just Remember. You can say it out loud in your head, or you can remember it in silence- to just let your heart feel it around you.

Here's what Truth is as described in my above post:

The Truth is: Nothing. God discovered Himself to be Nothing. He is a frequency beyond which those who are attached to Maya can comprehend(even dream of).

He has no image and no form, He is Nirboah and Nirvair(see my above post).

Really, we have no image, no form, because we are Him and He is Us. We are both Truth, i.e Nothing- just a frequency so blissful that we cannot even dream of it in maya.

Everything you see around you is Actually Him- nothing really has an image or a form or a sound- the world around you is just a game, just false images- this includes your family members and friends.

Everything happens according to His will. We must not react to any situation in Maya(anger, lust, greed, envy, attachment), but instead accept His will/Hukam as True. This is a most important principle in sikhism- to accept that His will is perfect. All is just a game of Karam- Everything that happens to everyone is deserved- We sow what we reap- no matter how bad some karmas may seem. (The best and highest karma is to have faith in God/Truth and to start the path of bhagti(Welcome)).

While you are sitting and walking, remember this gyan(this is applying the gyan). Applying this gyan takes goes further than just samadhi which some Bhagats practice on it's own. Samadhi is just a peace beyond the pressures of society and yourself. Application of Truth Gyan on top of samadhi goes further than this- it's what the True bhagats practice.

-So another thing is Naam simran and samadhi. Samadhi means: Deep meditation.

Most people at the beginning go into deepest samadhi in the evening while sitting or laying down- with the eyes closed.

Here's what to do as described in the last post:

Relax and listen to the anhad naad(the first sound) which is the reflection of the frequency of Naam/Truth/Silence(because even sound doesn't exist- theres only Nothing).

You'll hear it as a ringing sound, music- it is different for some people- but it is always there.

The key is to let go and the let the samadhi take us over- and it is then that we begin to understand the universe around us.

This is Naam Simran,- the anhad naad attunes us to the frequency of Naam(Truth) that is All around the universe. When we do this naam simran- we are connecting with and embracing the Entire universe and beyond- and feeling who we really are.

Samadhi(deep meditation) is silencing the mind, so that we are able to just Feel within our being. We begin to contemplate Truth from the heart instead of the mind(which is the cause of the 5 thieves).

Eventually, the samadhi becomes 24 hrs(all the time).

Mediation/samadhi is most effective in the evening hours, but is a million times more effective at the beginning in the Amrit-vela.

Wake up at 12:30- 1:00am and do naam simran for 2.5 hours. In the last hour of your naam simran, it is heard by Sachkandh(realm of Truth where True Gurus, Sants, Bhagats and Brahmgyanis live).

You can do it for as long as you want- keep it going during the day- when you apply Truth, you are doing simran anyway-follow your heart and recognise that God is sitting in your heart.

Disregard yourself as Nothing, Live at the feet of others and find the death of the self(By accepting God as your Keeper). We are Nothing- All is hukam/Karam.

God bless you

Last edited:

lionprinceuk

(previously Lion_Prince_Jatinder)
SPNer
Jun 29, 2004
west london

My name is Azura, and I am a Muslim born in Malaysia.. I have a problem, I want to convert to Sikhism (not the problem) and my parents are OK with it, but I heard the government can get me into trouble if I convert to any religion if born a Muslim.. should I practice secretly..? Thanks

Waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh

Conversion or reverting etc , is for paths that are considered religions such as islam or Christianity.

I advise you to start gaining knowledge, which sikhi does for you. Also, many follows of Guru Nanak were muslim. They were his murids. They hadn't given up islam, yet they would also be known as sikhs in today's thinking. Many muslims call Guru Nanak as Hazrat Nanak.

For you to stay on best terms with Malaysian laws, I would say become a murid of Hazrat Pir Nanak, staying within islamic culture, and slowly working your way to your goal, which is your own personal goal. Sufis are also a similar tradition to sikhi in some ways.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012

Hi Azura,

everything TruthSatnaam has states is the truth...

There is no conversion...if you are seeking the truth..then you're a sikh...and the truth can be found in many places for it has existed well before any formation of religion...and it will forever exist.

God is within you...speak to him...ask Him to guide you towards the truth.
Serve others and always try to live, speak the truth....and do your Simran/meditation.

Theres nothing more to it. Live and enjoy your discoveries :)

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Satnaam Siddharth Ji

We relax and listen to the anhad naad(the first sound) which is the reflection of the frequency of Truth- of the silence(because even sound doesn't exist- theres only Nothing). The key is to let go and the samadhi take us over- and it is then that we begin to understand the universe around us.

Samadhi is silencing the mind, so that we are able to just Feel within our being. We begin to contemplate from the heart instead of the mind(which is the cause of the 5 thieves).

Sometimes i think i hear the anhad shabad during my amrit vela simran. But have not been certain of it so maybe it is my mind playing tricks.
Recently when in deep simran, i feel pulses of deep energy/tingles/pins and needles type sensation in my heart/chest region. Words cannot truely describe that feeling...it may be rom rom simran :)

I normally do ardaas before sleeping asking guru ji to wake me up whenever he wants me to do Simran...and i've always been awoken between 3.30am and 4am. Simran during the morning hours when most are sleeping is beyond words again :)

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: