• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

How To Carry Swaroop Of Sri Guru Granth Saheb Ji

sachbol

SPNer
Feb 12, 2010
Sadh sangatji,
Waheguruji ka Khalsa Waheguruji ki Fateh,

Thee is no prescribed rule on how to bring Swaroop.

It has become a rule that the person who is honoured to carry the
Sawari must be barefoot. It is OK if the road is good but if the road
is dirty or is having lot of sharp edged stones, pebbles or glass then
it may not br possible for the Singh to concentrate on his duty. Also
if he is diabetic it mey be very harmful for him. There may be a danger
of poisonous creatures.
In my personal opinion he must be allowed to use shoes.

Please give your valuable comments.

Attachments

• Sikhs-World-War-Two-With-Siri-Guru-Granth-Sahib-Ji.jpg
    Sikhs-World-War-Two-With-Siri-Guru-Granth-Sahib-Ji.jpg
    28.1 KB · Reads: 235

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Re: How to carry Swaroop of Sri Guru Granth Sahebji

Please read the SRM published by SGPC. It very clearly states that the sewadaar carrying SGGS MAY wear SHOES...under such conditions which may harm his feet. COMMON SENSE.
Its also not advisable to remove ones shoes for example when standing in a car park or where their is mud etc OUTSIDE a Gurdawra when Ardass for Milnne/stone laying ceremony etc etc is performed...Again Simple Plain COMMON SENSE.

The "sewadaar" may be BAREFOOT...BUT his MANN inside may be as black as coal... PEOPLE SEE THE NANAGEH PAER...AND SAY wah wah wah wahguru..SUCH A humble MAN..WALKING ON BROKEN GLASS....SHARP THORNS..HE MUST REALLY LOVE HIS GURU...DEEP INSIDE HE MAY BE ?????FAKE HAUMAII...FALSE NOTIONS...`Just be YOURSELF..the GURU is jannan haar...bakshanhaar....I have seen Granthis/sewadaars with calloused heels/dirty stinking feet....black with dirt not cleaned for years...yet go barefooted....in the langgar halls kitchens etc...someone who keeps his CAR-SHOES always INSIDE the CAR only is apt to have CLEANER SHOES than those granthis naked feet...and I think GURU JI would rather be carried by the man wearing those CLEAN SHOES than the man whose toes stink.

sachbol

SPNer
Feb 12, 2010

Please read the SRM published by SGPC. It very clearly states that the sewadaar carrying Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji MAY wear SHOES...under such conditions which may harm his feet. COMMON SENSE.
Its also not advisable to remove ones shoes for example when standing in a car park or where their is mud etc OUTSIDE a Gurdawra when Ardass for Milnne/stone laying ceremony etc etc is performed...Again Simple Plain COMMON SENSE.

The "sewadaar" may be BAREFOOT...BUT his MANN inside may be as black as coal... PEOPLE SEE THE NANAGEH PAER...AND SAY wah wah wah wahguru..SUCH A humble MAN..WALKING ON BROKEN GLASS....SHARP THORNS..HE MUST REALLY LOVE HIS GURU...DEEP INSIDE HE MAY BE ?????FAKE HAUMAII...FALSE NOTIONS...`Just be YOURSELF..the GURU is jannan haar...bakshanhaar....I have seen Granthis/sewadaars with calloused heels/dirty stinking feet....black with dirt not cleaned for years...yet go barefooted....in the langgar halls kitchens etc...someone who keeps his CAR-SHOES always INSIDE the CAR only is apt to have CLEANER SHOES than those granthis naked feet...and I think GURU JI would rather be carried by the man wearing those CLEAN SHOES than the man whose toes stink.

Thanks Gyaniji !

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

There are magnificent images of Sikh soldiers from World War II carrying Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji across war torn fields from trench to trench in combat boots. They took their Guru everywhere. Those are the images of complete bhagati. No one is looking at their shoes, only at the expressions on their faces.

I have just uploaded one.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006

On one hand there is this idea of showing respect by removing shoes, covering one's head, doing chaur, carrying saroop on one's head etc.

On the other hand there is this idea of showing respect by listening, reading, contemplating, carrying the saroop in one's heart, etc.

If the latter is there, the former is not necessary. If the former is there, it looks like the latter is present. If you don't do the former, you will get the wrath from other Sikhs even if the latter is present in you.

How strange is that?

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM