• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Partition How One Sikh Village "Saved" Their Women From A Muslim Mob

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
We all know that Partition was a terrible time.

We all know that horrible atrocities were committed.

We all know, we all know.

But do we realise?

Do we know the extremes that some of our people were forced to - or chose to go to?

This very disturbing video is an interview with an elderly Singh who was there when his village was attacked by Muslims.

I don't know what to say about this. Better for you to view it and decide for yourself. But be prepared. It is disturbing.

YouTube - How Sikhs saved their women from Muslim Mobs during Partition of 1947

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
I've seen this before and I cannot watch it again. It makes me feel awful inside, to think what our ancestors went through.

Randip Singh ji, I agree that seeing it once is enough. The idea is to get the information out there in a way that will actually reach people. I think think this sadly horrifying video does that. Perhaps I am getting soft, but I so much wanted to reach out and comfort the old Singh, although no comfort would be possible.

"Ancestors" seems so remote. This was 1947. These women would have been our mothers, grandmothers, sisters, aunts, friends.

AusDesi

SPNer
Jul 18, 2009
Dharmashtere Australiashtre
Ye pretty terrible. On grand grandmother's side alot of family members were slaughtered. There are so many stories i have heard of the partition that no amount of riots and terrorism surprises me anymore.

I think the worst thing is that no one acknowledges this sacrifice. As far as i know there is no day to commemorate the lives lost in the partition, no monuments for it and no one remembers the people who died on tv.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
AusDesi ji

Thank you for this thoughtful response. Even a person like me, who was not personally affected, cannot be anything other than deeply stricken by sadness. Not to forget!

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Ye pretty terrible. On grand grandmother's side alot of family members were slaughtered. There are so many stories i have heard of the partition that no amount of riots and terrorism surprises me anymore.

I think the worst thing is that no one acknowledges this sacrifice. As far as i know there is no day to commemorate the lives lost in the partition, no monuments for it and no one remembers the people who died on tv.

I think the reason No one acknowledges these sacrifices because If these stories will be remembered then communal peace is going to be disturbed.

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
I think the reason No one acknowledges these sacrifices because If these stories will be remembered then communal peace is going to be disturbed.

I think the main reason no one acknowledges these sacrifices is that they are not spoken of. Those who experienced them are reluctant to speak from their own pain.

The same is in danger of happening about the 1984 genocide. It is our (the survivors) duty to see that, in another 30 years, 1984 is not as distant and unknown to our Sikh nation as 1947 is today.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Mai ji

The case of 1984 and 1947 is totally different .There were Films ,serials were made on partition but in the case of 1984 government tried his level best that nothing should be made and No should know about 84 voilence except victims and sikh community

Btw here is the link of video one of the best serial made on partition voilence Tamas

TAMAS PART FOUR - BHISHAM SAHNI + GOVIND NIHALANI

watch it from especially from 45 minutes

Aug 17, 2009
i had this on my mind kanwardeep ji, people who watch this make notice of the puratan gurdwara in a scene, i belive thats in the beginning the gurdwara sahib is painted with those puratan paintings and not white washed like modern day Gurudwaras.

Another attraction is the heart rendering shabads sung one is by Singh brothers " De shiva bar mohe " and the other which is sung by women " jo larhe deen ke het " they are just amazing. I time and again see it.

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
i had this on my mind kanwardeep ji, people who watch this make notice of the puratan gurdwara in a scene, i belive thats in the beginning the gurdwara sahib is painted with those puratan paintings and not white washed like modern day Gurudwaras.

Another attraction is the heart rendering shabads sung one is by Singh brothers " De shiva bar mohe " and the other which is sung by women " jo larhe deen ke het " they are just amazing. I time and again see it.

faujasingh ji,

Do you have links to those? I'd love to hear them.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Mai ji

The case of 1984 and 1947 is totally different .There were Films ,serials were made on partition but in the case of 1984 government tried his level best that nothing should be made and No should know about 84 voilence except victims and sikh community

Btw here is the link of video one of the best serial made on partition voilence Tamas

TAMAS PART FOUR - BHISHAM SAHNI + GOVIND NIHALANI

watch it from especially from 45 minutes

Kanwardeep Singh ji

That is very right. The events of 1984 are subject to heavy government censorship in film.

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
Kanwardeep Singh ji

That is very right. The events of 1984 are subject to heavy government censorship in film.

Which is yet another reason we who lived through it need to share our experiences. Nobody seems to want to talk about it. I know it's painful, but it's so important.

I have been trying for years to get a single photograph of the sarovar immediately after Bluestar. Not a nibble.

faujasingh ji. I do not understand hindi. After this stroke, I'm lucky to have my English back. Even French, which I think would be my first language is mostly gone and my Punjabi/Gurmukhi entirely

:ice:

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
index.html
Mai ji

I don't remember every picture in this set. But see if there is something about that at this link
Operation Blue Star 1984 Golden Temple Attack Sikhs

I looked and found this horrible picture. No body parts, but lots of blood. This set of pictures is unbelievably difficult to look at. I feel almost homicidal every time I see that picture of those two gloating soldiers. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR, The is picture #21,

Operation Blue Star 1984 Golden Temple Attack Sikhs
RRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
3951824945_287602ff58_o.jpg

(Perhaps this should be moved to the 1984 section.)
index.html

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
Thanks, Narayanjot ji.

I read the article next to that picture. It had some truly bizarre statements.

Prime Minister Indira Gandhi ordered the army to attack more than 1.000 heavily armed Sikh extremists barricaded inside the temple grounds.
Taking great care to preserve the sanctity of the Golden Temple...
But the gold domed temple proper. which sits in the center of the complex. was unmarked by the battle. Government spokesmen stressed that the army had gone to great efforts to preserve the sanctuary, even taking more casualties than would have been normal in order to preserve it.
Intelligence sources also showed that the temple had become a haven for smugglers who had helped the militants finance their arms buildup through the transport and sale of heroin, hashish, and stolen gold, silver and jewels
and total complete hypocritical irony:

"We are all bruised," said one top-level Indian official. "We have killed our own people. India's future and its soul now depends on our humanity, on gentle, forgiving, patient wisdom."

Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM