• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

How Many Trees Are In The Seed?

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
How many trees are in the seed?

A tiny seed becomes a tree. That tree produces many more seeds, which become trees, which produce seeds, and so on. So how many trees are in the seed?
There are no trees in the seed. Crack it open, and you won't find even a single tree. The seed contains only the idea of a tree, the potential for a tree, and the plans for building that tree. The tree itself appears only when the seed is nourished with water and soil and sunlight.
The people you meet, the new things you learn, the experiences you live, the choices you make, the days and moments of your life -- all are seeds with limitless potential to bear fruit. But only when placed in fertile ground and nourished.
That's where you come in. Though you can't always control the seeds that fall into your life, you can control the way they're planted and cared for. In every moment is a lifetime of possibilities. Think of that! You can change the course of the rest of your life right now, this very instant. By deciding which seeds to plant, which choices to make, which relationships to nurture. By giving the seeds of opportunity a fertile soil in which to grow.
-- Ralph Marston
source: greatday.com

etinder

SPNer
Jul 26, 2004
New Delhi, India
This reminds me of how a grain of sand when gets into an oyster can become a great looking beautiful pearl..so the potential of a sand grain to become a pearl is always there..

a very nice quote indeed.......

Hukum Kaur

SPNer
Jul 6, 2005
Portland, Oregon
What is the ego good for? Absolutely nothing?

Can you help me respond to the question of why were we given the ego, if it is ONLY for overcomming? Is the ego a result of not being connected with the Spirit and so the mind and subconcious patterns take over? My father and I talk a lot about these philosophies, and this is what he wrote to me:

one needs the "ego"
to deal with the demands of life and
help to control those uncivilized urges that do unkind acts on one's
fellow man.
The ego is also necessary to
keep the judge that criticizes us in check so that we are able to
realize our full potential as a developing,
creative person.
To give oneself totally to a belief system that asks
one to give up all ego is, unfortunately, not
the answer either.
It is a difficult challenge, and one everyone faces,