• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

General How Many Languages?

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
In 500 B.C. the Greek philosopher Heraclitus said, "Nothing is permanent but change." He also said, "You cannot step twice into the same river, for other waters are always flowing in."

Please translate the above phrases into as many languages as possible without loosing its meaning.

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Re: How many languages ?

• If I feel depressed I will sing.
    If I feel sad I will laugh.
    If I feel ill I will double my labor.
    If I feel fear I will plunge ahead.
    If I feel inferior I will wear new garments.
    If I feel uncertain I will raise my voice.
    If I feel poverty I will think of wealth to come.
    If I feel incompetent I will think of past success.
    If I feel insignificant I will remember my goals.
    Today I will be the master of my emotions.

Archived_Member5

(previously jeetijohal, account deactivated at her
Mar 13, 2006
London, UK

Hypothetically speaking you cannot actually step into a river unless you touch the riverbed, otherwise it is called dipping ones foot into running waters. Water flows and runs for if it does not, it stagnates without oxygenation or aeration. This phrase of Heraclitus is in all probability a poor translation of what he actually meant. The message by means of identification of intention and affect is disclosed by thinkers with the pondering. Change is likened to the water, constant flow and circulation of all things in the world is akin to the human body, requiring motion for life as life is motion. The sun constantly turns as do the planets, as does the life force in man’s body.

Permanent is the air for in its ceaseless flowing it remains constant in the act. The world by its nature of motion is permanently entrenched in its determined life cycle. Hence all things change, yet they change not, life ceases and death becomes a new life. Transitional permanence.

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007

If I feel depressed I will sing.
If I feel sad I will laugh.
If I feel ill I will double my labor.
If I feel fear I will plunge ahead.
If I feel inferior I will wear new garments.
If I feel uncertain I will raise my voice.
If I feel poverty I will think of wealth to come.
If I feel incompetent I will think of past success.
If I feel insignificant I will remember my goals.
Today I will be the master of my emotions.

I will attempt to translate this into Spoken Thai :-

Tha prom lom mai dee, phom rong phreng
Tha phom sia chai, phom hua lor
Tha phom mai sabai, phom usaha saung thau
Tha phom kua, phom sue darn na
Tha phom me khuam hoth, phom sai sear hmai
Tha phom mee khuam mai neh norn, phom khui sieang dang
Tha phom khit phae, phom khit khuam channa thi korn
Tha phom kit sentua mai me sit, phom tong khit redap soung phom dai
Wan ni phom tongkarn pen hua na khuam khit phom

Sorry I could just scrape through with a low passing mark, if this translation was viewed by one fluent in Thai.:yes:

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007

In 500 B.C. the Greek philosopher Heraclitus said, "Nothing is permanent but change." He also said, "You cannot step twice into the same river, for other waters are always flowing in."

Please translate the above phrases into as many languages as possible without loosing its meaning.

To translate the above in Bahasa Malaysia (Malay Language) here is my attempt :-

Dalam tahunan 500 B.C. ahli falsafah Yunani bernama Heraclitus berkata, " Tiada apapun yang kekal melainkan perubahan." Beliau juga berkata, " Anda tidak boleh masuk ke dalam sungai yang sama dua kali, kerana air yang lain selalu masuk di tempatnya."

:D

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007

How do you say the following in Italian, Aad Ji ?

I know you speak quite a few languages. Truly remarkable!

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007

I know you speak quite a few languages. Truly remarkable.

What's the translation into Italian, Punjabi, Hindi, Urdu, French, Russian, etc ?

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

NamJap ji, So che lei parla alcune lingue. Veramente rimarchevole!

Or informal/personal

So che tu parli alcune lingue. Veramente rimarchevole!

More spontaneous style.

So che parli tante lingue. Veramente incredibile!

There are lots of different ways to say it.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

Or you can switch it around

Veramente rimarchevole!

It can be turned around to Rimarchevole veramente!

"Ch" is pronounced like a "k"

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

NamJap ji,

You know French don't you?

Je sais que tu parlais alcunes langues. Vraiment remarquable!

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

We can do Urdu using the online translator at Junoon. heh!

Tum so aksar zabaanein maloomtay ho. Sachcha hayraan-kun.

There is no Urdu word for "remarkable." So I had to substitute "amazing."

And I had to use two different Urdu translators because ijunoon did not want to give me "truly remarkable" in phonetic transliteration. :(

Try this Urdu translator at UrduWord.com English-Urdu Dictionary and Lessons It is fast and it is "remarkable."

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

तुम इतने भाषाएं बोलते हैं. सच में उल्लेखनीय!

Which language? What is the transliteration?

anders

SPNer
Jul 13, 2004
Sweden

Swedish: "Ingenting är beständigt utom förändring." "Man kan inte stiga ned i samma flod två gånger eftersom det varje gång är nytt vatten som flyter in".

A Buddhist could have said that. Probably, Heraclitus didn't. Perhaps, Plutarch did, trying to explain Heraclitus' views.

Harsimran

SPNer
May 18, 2008
Finland

I love this thread!

Here's Finnish for the whole thing.. :D

Vuonna 500 eKr. kreikkalainen filosofi Herakleitos sanoi, "Mikään ei ole pysyvää paitsi muutos." Lisäksi hän sanoi, "Et voi astua kahta kertaa samaan jokeen, sillä siinä virtaava vesi on jatkuvasti uutta."

more about him and his sayings..
Heraclitus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Btw does anyone here speak Japanese?

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA

proof that there are many hidden jewels on spn..what a fantastic thread..
When I was young i was so fascinated by the "uniquely sounding" shabad by Guru nanak ji sahib..Yak arz guftam....i memorised it and used to read it so often...later my dad told me its pure F{censored}e and Guru Ji probabaly penned it while travelling in Iran on His way to mecca.....Guru Ji loved languages...and proof that BANI from Sach Khand doesnt stick to any particular language...imagine Guru Ji in Iran..and suddenly Guru Ji declares..Mardaniah chherr rebab..bani ayeeh.....and Yak Arz Guftam...flows from Guru Jis mukh.....and following His Divine example....we..his sikhs..also love languages.....judging by the varied responses to this thread...
Keep it going Jios....chardeekalla to all..always

Gyani jarnail Singh

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.

Before I translate the above into Portugese, I would like to share what I see in the above from the language of our Gurus. Heraclitus defined what a Sikh is and our Gurus put the wheels to this philosphical thought by creating a way of life called Sikhi.

Now in Portugese:
Em 500 B.C. o grego o filósofo Heraclitus disse, " Nada é permanente mas a mudanca." Tambem disse, " Você não pode pisar duas vezes nas mesmas aguas do rio, porque as outras águas são sempre em de fluxo; as gotas que foram pisadas antes ja viajaram mais para frente".

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: