How Do You Prepare To Pray?

Discussion in 'Questions & Answers' started by Ishna, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Ishna

Ishna Enthusiast Writer SPNer

Sat Sri Akaal

How do you prepare yourself to pray? Is your preparation different depending on the activity - for instance, if you're singing nitnem bania, or if you're performing a random ardaas, or if you're going to do some activity involving chanting or meditating?

For instance, if you don't usually cover your head, do you do so now? Do you brush your teeth or rinse your mouth out, or maybe wash your hands and face? Do you have different preparation for different parts of the day?

I know Sikhs don't follow ritualistic purification or cleansing rituals, but I'm curious nonetheless if you personally feel the need, desire or follow some kind of tradition around preparing for prayer.

And if you do something, why do you do it? What is the thought process?

2. Loading...

3. Logical Sikh

Logical Sikh Writer SPNer

SSA,
    as of my current understandings,
    1. My preparations just consist of Opening Kindle for Reading SGGS and i keep MahanKosh and google chrome open on my mobile just in case if i doubt translation of Prof. Sahib Singh ( which generally isn't the case ) cuz he did one of the most reliable Translations of SGGS ever ( Back in 1920s ). Until i read the works of Dr. Davinder Singh Chahal. XD
    2. For Cleansing, the First Line of JAP
    ਸੋਚੈ ਸੋਚਿ ਨ ਹੋਵਈ ਜੇ ਸੋਚੀ ਲਖ ਵਾਰ ॥
    translates to :-
    If i try to Clean my Mind By Bathing for even a 100,000 times, it still cannot be called cleaned.
    3. If you think there is need to clean your hands then sure do it, but doing it ritually is not advised.

BTW, how do you prepare ?

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  4. Simranjit

Simranjit Writer SPNer

I don't usually cover my head during the day. The only exception is to read bani or to meditate. I use a short scarf in the way I do in my profile pic.
    It helps me as a reminder to remain focused.

I also cover my head to sing banis with my guitar, but if I 'm alone in this case sometimes I don't. I don know why, actually.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Sikhilove

Sikhilove Writer SPNer

I just do ardas and then my naam jaap.

I prefer to be at least in a passably clean state when I do it.