• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

How Do You Lead??

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
A young man saw his primary school teacher on a wedding.
He went to greet him with all the respect and admiration.
He said to him:
"Do you remember me, Teacher?"
The teacher said: "No, please introduce yourself."
The student said: "I was your student in the 3rd Grade, I am the one who stole the watch of a child in the classroom. I will remind you but I am sure you remember the story."

One of the boys in my class had a beautiful watch, so I decided to steal it.
He came to you crying that someone had stolen his watch.
You asked us to stand so as to search our pockets.
I realized that my action would be exposed in front of the Students and Teachers.
I will be called a thief, a liar and my character will be shattered forever.

You asked us to stand and face the wall and close our eyes completely.
You went searching from pocket to pocket, and when you reached my pocket you pulled the watch out of my pocket, and you continued until you searched the last student.

After you finished you asked us to open our eyes and to sit on our chairs.
I was afraid you will expose me in front of the students.

You showed the watch to the class, and gave it back to the boy, and you never mentioned the name of the one who stole the watch.
You never said a word to me, and you never mentioned the story to anyone.

Throughout my school life, none of the teachers nor the students talked about me stealing the watch.
I thought to myself you saved my dignity that day.

The teacher said: "I can't remember who stole the watch that day, because I searched the pockets of all of you while my eyes were also closed."

Education needs wisdom. As Teachers, Parents, Leaders, we should be able to understand the consequences of our actions.

Protecting and reforming is tougher than exposing and expelling

Sikhilove1

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2019
A young man saw his primary school teacher on a wedding.
He went to greet him with all the respect and admiration.
He said to him:
"Do you remember me, Teacher?"
The teacher said: "No, please introduce yourself."
The student said: "I was your student in the 3rd Grade, I am the one who stole the watch of a child in the classroom. I will remind you but I am sure you remember the story."

One of the boys in my class had a beautiful watch, so I decided to steal it.
He came to you crying that someone had stolen his watch.
You asked us to stand so as to search our pockets.
I realized that my action would be exposed in front of the Students and Teachers.
I will be called a thief, a liar and my character will be shattered forever.

You asked us to stand and face the wall and close our eyes completely.
You went searching from pocket to pocket, and when you reached my pocket you pulled the watch out of my pocket, and you continued until you searched the last student.

After you finished you asked us to open our eyes and to sit on our chairs.
I was afraid you will expose me in front of the students.

You showed the watch to the class, and gave it back to the boy, and you never mentioned the name of the one who stole the watch.
You never said a word to me, and you never mentioned the story to anyone.

Throughout my school life, none of the teachers nor the students talked about me stealing the watch.
I thought to myself you saved my dignity that day.

The teacher said: "I can't remember who stole the watch that day, because I searched the pockets of all of you while my eyes were also closed."

Education needs wisdom. As Teachers, Parents, Leaders, we should be able to understand the consequences of our actions.

Protecting and reforming is tougher than exposing and expelling

True but students still need to learn from their actions. The teacher has a responsibility to discipline kids. The teacher should have given the watch back to its owner, as that’s important....but could also have kept the kids name hidden as the child may have had a lot going on at home etc.

It would have been better to find out the psychology behind the child stealing the watch, assess their domestic situation and move forward from there,

tinaseeking

SPNer
Mar 15, 2017
But Sikhilove1, the student assumed the teacher knew who it was, and discovered he didn't have to be shamed by another, which is possibly what he was used to. So whatever caused the theft (not totally abnormal behaviour for a youngster) the student felt his own guilt, and not the shame someone in authority can wield. I feel that his own conscience did the work for him. Nothing else was stolen, probably. Whatever the psychology, leaving the young person to wrestle with his own conscience was more helpful and less damaging. In my opinion.

Sikhilove1

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2019
But Sikhilove1, the student assumed the teacher knew who it was, and discovered he didn't have to be shamed by another, which is possibly what he was used to. So whatever caused the theft (not totally abnormal behaviour for a youngster) the student felt his own guilt, and not the shame someone in authority can wield. I feel that his own conscience did the work for him. Nothing else was stolen, probably. Whatever the psychology, leaving the young person to wrestle with his own conscience was more helpful and less damaging. In my opinion.

I understand what you’re saying, but still no justice for the one who was stolen from in that their belongings were not returned. Justice systems here on earth are in place for a reason. They serve as karma and give justice to those who need it.

We all sin and must feel the wrath of guilt (perhaps at at times unless you’re mentally ill as a sociopath or psychopath).

God doesn’t reprimand us as we are given freedom of choice. However the law of karma is real and at work so we get what we deserve. Hence we Always bear responsibility for our own misdeeds.

Logical Sikh

Writer
SPNer
Sep 22, 2018
I understand what you’re saying, but still no justice for the one who was stolen from in that their belongings were not returned. Justice systems here on earth are in place for a reason. They serve as karma and give justice to those who need it.

We all sin and must feel the wrath of guilt (perhaps at at times unless you’re mentally ill as a sociopath or psychopath).

God doesn’t reprimand us as we are given freedom of choice. However the law of karma is real and at work so we get what we deserve. Hence we Always bear responsibility for our own misdeeds.
lol, Justice, Karma, Sin, God, Law of Karma...... too much for a 3rd Grade kid dude

Sikhilove1

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2019
lol, Justice, Karma, Sin, God, Law of Karma...... too much for a 3rd Grade kid dude

Funny you say that, because we learned about these things as children younger than that, with stories and sakhis of the Gurus. Our mum used to tell us these, eg the story of Guru Nanak and the rich man, Malik Bhago and Bhai Lalo.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM