• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

How Companies Mistreat Job Seekers

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
When it comes to hiring, some employers act like they hold all the cards--and they can treat job seekers as poorly as they want, without consequence. They're wrong: Smart employers know that good candidates have options (to say nothing of the ethical implications of being rude just because you think you can).

Here are five common ways employers behave badly when hiring:

No regard for the candidate's time. From last-minute cancellations, without apology or acknowledgment of the inconvenience, to not paying attention in the interview, some employers act like their time is the only time that matters. Most candidates go to a lot of trouble to prepare for an interview -- reading up on the company, taking time off work, and often traveling--and their time should be respected too.

Not sharing their time line.
Employers have some idea of whether they'll be getting back to candidates in a week or a month. There's no reason not to share that information, and it can be agonizing on the job seeker's side to have no sense of the time line the employer will be moving on -- and yet many employers keep job seekers uninformed.

Refusing to share their salary range, but asking you for yours. Employers know roughly how much they're willing to pay; there's no reason not to share that info, other than that they're hoping to get you for a lower price. But that's lame: If they low ball you now and you figure out later that you're under priced for the market, they risk losing you over it. They should tell you the range they expect to pay and put an end to all the drama and coyness.

Misrepresenting the work. Interviewers who make the job sound more glamorous or downplay less attractive aspects of the job--such as long hours--are guaranteeing they'll end up with a bitter employee. Truth in advertising works to everyone's advantage, because candidates who won't thrive in the job, or the culture, can self-select out before they become your disgruntled employees.

Not notifying candidates that they're no longer under consideration.
This is both common and inexcusably rude. Candidate are often anxiously waiting to hear an answer--any answer--and end up waiting and waiting, long after a decision has been made. It's about simple respect and courtesy (and it just doesn't take that long to email a form letter).

Attachments

• employee woes.jpg
    employee woes.jpg
    10.2 KB · Reads: 336

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
I cannot tell you how many times I have seen this with my own eyes. It happened to me, when i was much much younger, but I watch now and it is happening to everyone.

mukul singh

SPNer
Jul 31, 2009
I cannot tell you how many times I have seen this with my own eyes. It happened to me, when i was much much younger, but I watch now and it is happening to everyone.
I am also experienced to such kind of things & still suffering.I am working with Level1 communication Pvt Ltd.These guys says we are an mnc but they came up as lala company who cuts a half day salary for coming 2 minutes late in office & no buffer time.And one should not ask them to leave 6 in evening,cause its all upon their mood,generally we have to sit till 8,9 or may 11 or 12 and be their at 9:30 in morning otherwise salary deducted.

I am desperately looking for another Job.Its hard to find a good company.

Aug 13, 2004
US
What would you make out of it when you interviewed for a position that was a perfect match for your skills and experience. You did very well in interview. Followed it up with 'Thank you' letters and then with 'what is next steps' follow up. One day you get voice mail to call them back. When you call, you are told that committee selected someone else. You accepted that thinking 'it wasn't meant to be'....and after couple of days you see that job reposted BUT this time for 'current employees' only. I wonder why they wasted their and candidates time if they already had someone picked to promote within? frustrating

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
Some of these companies have to formally advertise as per company regulations.
Even when a existing employee will be taking the position, the company has to show that they didn't just take someone internally but they advertised the postion fairly to the whole public !!

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Some of these companies have to formally advertise as per company regulations.
Even when a existing employee will be taking the position, the company has to show that they didn't just take someone internally but they advertised the postion fairly to the whole public !!

sort of like how the elections work back home!

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
sort of like how the elections work back home!

yes, pretty much so !!
You find that it is also the big boy companies and corporates that do this more often just to make it seem nice and official on the surface !
I've known BMW plant in Hams Hall, Severn Trent water, Boots, ICI and some others do this in UK.

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
On a related but tangential topic, we have recently lost a very very close family friend. Uncleji came to England in 1960s. He was highly educated (upto Masters level) but could not find a job due to racial discrimination. He even worked in a factory for a while to make ends meet and refused to remove his turban/kesh. His determination and perseverance paid off and he became the 1st turbaned Singh to be employed by a grammar school in the UK! :faujasingh: :mundakhalsaflag:

He was a true inspiration to many of us, especially me! One of the essential lessons I learnt was perseverance with dealing with situations like the above.

Last edited by a moderator:

yummy

SPNer
Oct 20, 2012
yes, pretty much so !!
You find that it is also the big boy companies and corporates that do this more often just to make it seem nice and official on the surface !
I've known BMW plant in Hams Hall, Severn Trent water, Boots, ICI and some others do this in UK.

Local and central government jobs and most of the public sector is notorious for this type of recruitment (in the UK).

@findingmyway-ji, that's a really inspirational story, very motivating. Well done to Uncle-ji. Just reminds me, that the older Asian generation who came here from abroad, in general, have worked very hard in the UK especially with the amount of discrimination they faced (assuming the same in the other Western countries also).

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
This world is very complicated. The only way to ease your pain and sorrow is through realizing that many things that we want and desire to attain materially are not worth much spiritually. Hard to get out of such a situation when you have loads of monthly bills to pay.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: