• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Leisure Hoping To Goodness

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
My 76y/o Roman Catholic mother-in-law asked to come to Gurdwara with me, which we did on Sunday. It's currently 2.20am Monday morning and I'm hoping to goodness I've got gastro and not food poisoning... :beg::a26:

aristotle

SPNer
May 10, 2010
Ancient Greece
My 76y/o Roman Catholic mother-in-law asked to come to Gurdwara with me, which we did on Sunday. It's currently 2.20am Monday morning and I'm hoping to goodness I've got gastro and not food poisoning... :beg::a26:

Get well soon Ishna ji....:)
Consulted a doc??
P.S. If it is a typical exotoxin food poisoning case(common in the West), severe symptoms will be seen within 5-6 hours of consumption of contaminated food...

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

How did things turn out? It is annoying when plans are disrupted. Hoping for the best.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
May be too much garam masala in the langar along with some larger sticks of butter thrown in the daal. It happens quite often as each family becomes gourmet cooks for a day to feed the whole sangat.

I tried to convince the Gurdwara committee to hire a dietitian who has knowledge of the Indian cuisine so that less fat and other things are used to make the langar healthier and calorie intake is controlled. In fact there is one in the sangat who wants to do this seva. She spoke about it from the stage one day which may have ruffled some feathers.

Sikhs are very touchy as far as food making is concerned. They claim to be the best with it because of the methods used by their fore-parents. Hence the tradition continues.

And also the committee is not interested in any calorie control for the health reasons nor for any other reason as a matter of fact in order not to offend the langar sponsors because their main aim is in the money coming from the families who sponsor these lavish langars which normally have more than 5 things and that does not include tons of mithai served with chai as snacks during the whole session.

They pay to the Bhai Sahib, to the Gurdwara,to the Raagis, and bring new Rumallas among other things. As most of them are doctors or businessmen, they can show off these things in a lavish manner especially adding calories of fat to the food. Some of them are heart surgeons. The committee does not want to interfere the cash flow even at the cost of churning some tummies.

I hope you feel better soon. It may be just a major hiccup.:)

What did your MIL think of the langar? I hope she did not have any hiccups as you did.

Regards

Tejwant Singh

Last edited:

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Aristotole ji - I read your post in the wee small hours and felt better, my main concern was my mother-in-law getting sick too, but thank goodness I just called her and she's just fine, so I must have picked up a bug or something.

Thanks other for well wishes. :)

Finally got a couple hours sleep after 4am. I stay home from work today. I would rather go but who knows what will happen when I eat, and brain is functioning on about 3 cylinders anyway.

My MIL enjoyed the Gurdwara experience, it was funny as she tried to copy everything we did. She came out of darbar sahib saying it was a really peaceful experience. She really liked the karah prashad and the langar and on the way home was asking me more questions about Sikhi. She's a really lovely lady, it was a nice day.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM