• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Help Needed On Shabad

sonicheez

SPNer
May 15, 2011
Hi All

I have been adviced to read a particular prayer/shabd, but I am not sure if I have written it down correctly.

I will write here what I have and hopefully someone out there can correct me if I'm wrong or lead me to the right one:

"Bilawal mehlwa penjwa
Sant paye guru sat gur pure
Sukh ubhajaye bandth hature
Tah paap senta bihase
Har simret kilwel sebhnase
Anand karo mil sundero nale
Gur nanake meri baj suwaji""

Thank you

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
sonizcheez ji

Bilawal mehlwa penjwa

This means the shabad comes from raag Bilaawal/bilaaval, and is by Guru Arjan Dev as mehla 5. pr 5th Guru

I cannot find any shabad or tuk by Guru Arjan Dev in raag Bilaaval that begins with
Sant paye guru sat gur pure

Something may be off with the transliteration making this unsearhable, or words may be reversed. I will continue to look for you. This is a continual problem with transliterations because people invent them. Things go wrong.

Sometimes, however, a shabad given by another is not really a shabad but something that is part of the popular knowledge that builds over time, like a poem. Let's not give up. Another forum member may be able to help. :)

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Ok You have it here. The transliteration is wrong and the beauty of this shabad lost because of that. The prayer also was not complete. Enjoy

ਬਿਲਾਵਲੁ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ॥
Bilāval mėhlā 5.
Bilawal 5th Guru.

ਸਾਂਤਿ ਪਾਈ ਗੁਰਿ ਸਤਿਗੁਰਿ ਪੂਰੇ ॥
Sāʼnṯ pā▫ī gur saṯgur pūre.
The Guru, the Perfect True Guru, has blessed me with peace.

ਸੁਖ ਉਪਜੇ ਬਾਜੇ ਅਨਹਦ ਤੂਰੇ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
Sukẖ upje bāje anhaḏ ṯūre. ||1|| rahā▫o.
Joy has welled up and the bugles of joy incessantly play. Pause.

ਤਾਪ ਪਾਪ ਸੰਤਾਪ ਬਿਨਾਸੇ ॥
Ŧāp pāp sanṯāp bināse.
My sufferings, sins and afflictions are dispelled.

ਹਰਿ ਸਿਮਰਤ ਕਿਲਵਿਖ ਸਭਿ ਨਾਸੇ ॥੧॥
Har simraṯ kilvikẖ sabẖ nāse. ||1||
Meditating on the Lord, all my vices have hastened away.

ਅਨਦੁ ਕਰਹੁ ਮਿਲਿ ਸੁੰਦਰ ਨਾਰੀ ॥
Anaḏ karahu mil sunḏar nārī.
Meeting together, O the beauteous brides, make ye merry,

ਗੁਰਿ ਨਾਨਕਿ ਮੇਰੀ ਪੈਜ ਸਵਾਰੀ ॥੨॥੩॥੨੧॥
Gur Nānak merī paij savārī. ||2||3||21||
Guru Nanak has saved my honour.

For forum members who have differences with the translation to English, this one is by Bhai Manmohan Singh. Please provide your personal understanding if you do not agree, rather than offer a global criticism. Thank you

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
What a wonderful shabad. Thanks. I already feel at peace within.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
soniacheez ji

I was just wondering how you came to be told to recite this prayer? If it is not overly nosy of me to ask about it...who gave you the prayer to recite and what was the purpose of saying it?

Thanks

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
it is intriguing how word ਸਾਂਤਿ in actual shabad means peace and but in the shabad quoted by the sonicheez means SANT... This derives an entirely different meaning altogether. :mundaviolin:

cocosingh

SPNer
Feb 16, 2011
The correct Shabad is as follows:

This Shabad is by Guru Arjan Dev Ji in Raag Bilaaval on Pannaa 806

iblwvlu mhlw 5 ]
bilaaval mehalaa 5 ||
Bilaaval, Fifth Mehla:

sWiq pweI guir siqguir pUry ]
saa(n)th paaee gur sathigur poorae ||
The Guru, the Perfect True Guru, has blessed me with peace and tranquility.

suK aupjy bwjy Anhd qUry ]1] rhwau ]
sukh oupajae baajae anehadh thoorae ||1|| rehaao ||
Peace and joy have welled up, and the mystical trumpets of the unstruck sound current vibrate. ||1||Pause||

qwp pwp sMqwp ibnwsy ]
thaap paap sa(n)thaap binaasae ||
Sufferings, sins and afflictions have been dispelled.

hir ismrq iklivK siB nwsy ]1]
har simarath kilavikh sabh naasae ||1||
Remembering the Lord in meditation, all sinful mistakes have been erased. ||1||

Andu krhu imil suMdr nwrI ]
anadh karahu mil su(n)dhar naaree ||
Joining together, O beautiful soul-brides, celebrate and make merry.

guir nwnik myrI pYj svwrI ]2]3]21]
gur naanak maeree paij savaaree ||2||3||21||
Guru Nanak has saved my honor. ||2||3||21||

This is exactly the same shabad as I posted previously. However the translation is by Dr. Sant Singh Khalsa. spnadmin winkingmunda

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Aman Singh ji, how does a tramslation difference like that come about? How is a beginner to know what is correct and what is not?

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Ok You have it here. The transliteration is wrong and the beauty of this shabad lost because of that. The prayer also was not complete. Enjoy

ਬਿਲਾਵਲੁ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ॥
Bilāval mėhlā 5.
Bilawal 5th Guru.

ਸਾਂਤਿ ਪਾਈ ਗੁਰਿ ਸਤਿਗੁਰਿ ਪੂਰੇ ॥
Sāʼnṯ pā▫ī gur saṯgur pūre.
The Guru, the Perfect True Guru, has blessed me with peace.

ਸੁਖ ਉਪਜੇ ਬਾਜੇ ਅਨਹਦ ਤੂਰੇ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
Sukẖ upje bāje anhaḏ ṯūre. ||1|| rahā▫o.
Joy has welled up and the bugles of joy incessantly play. Pause.

ਤਾਪ ਪਾਪ ਸੰਤਾਪ ਬਿਨਾਸੇ ॥
Ŧāp pāp sanṯāp bināse.
My sufferings, sins and afflictions are dispelled.

ਹਰਿ ਸਿਮਰਤ ਕਿਲਵਿਖ ਸਭਿ ਨਾਸੇ ॥੧॥
Har simraṯ kilvikẖ sabẖ nāse. ||1||
Meditating on the Lord, all my vices have hastened away.

ਅਨਦੁ ਕਰਹੁ ਮਿਲਿ ਸੁੰਦਰ ਨਾਰੀ ॥
Anaḏ karahu mil sunḏar nārī.
Meeting together, O the beauteous brides, make ye merry,

ਗੁਰਿ ਨਾਨਕਿ ਮੇਰੀ ਪੈਜ ਸਵਾਰੀ ॥੨॥੩॥੨੧॥
Gur Nānak merī paij savārī. ||2||3||21||
Guru Nanak has saved my honour.

In reference to the above sentence by sentence, below is an attempt to get to the essence of the whole as a translation from Prof. Sahib Singh ji's Punjabi "Guru Granth Darpan",

pdArQ:- sWiq—SWqI, Awqmk TMF [ guir—gurU ny [ siqguir—siqgurU ny [ aupjy—pYdw ho gey [ bwjy—v`j pey [ Anhd—{Anhq—ibnw vjwx dy} iek-rs [ qUry—vwjy [1[rhwau[
qwp—du`K [ pwp—ivkwr [ sMqwp—klyS [ ismrq—ismridAW [ iklivK—pwp [ siB—swry [1[
Andu krhu—Awqmk Awnμd pYdw kro [ imil—iml ky [ nwrI—hy nwrIho! hy myry igAwnieMidRE! guir—gurU ny [ nwnik—nwnk ny [ pYj—lwj, ie`zq [2[

ArQ:- hy BweI! pUry gurU ny, siqgurU ny (hir-nwm dI dwiq dy ky ijs mnu`K dy ihrdy ivc) TMf vrqw id`qI, aus dy AMdr swry suK pYdw ho gey (mwno, aus dy AMdr) iek-rs swry vwjy v`jx l`g pey [1[rhwau[

A tranquil and peaceful unison has developed through the understanding of the true creator. It feels like that without effort peaceful sounds are happening inside.

(ijs mnu`K ny gurU dI ikrpw nwl hir-nwm ismrnw SurU kr id`qw, aus dy swry) du`K klyS dUr ho gey [ prmwqmw dw nwm ismridAW ismridAW aus dy swry pwp nws ho gey [1[

Through study and understanding of the creator, the hurt, evil and anguish have dissipated.

(nwm dI brkiq nwl) sohxy (bx cuky) hy myry igAwn-ieMidRE! qusIN hux rl ky (sqsMg mnw ky Awpxy AMdr) Awqmk Awnμd pYdw kro [ gurU nwnk ny (mYƒ qwp pwp sMqwp qoN bcw ky) myrI ie`zq r`K leI hY [2[3[21[

Bliss and happiness has come for me and Nanak you have preserved my dignity.
I stand corrected for any errors and welcome other inputs.

Sat Sri Akal.

sonicheez

SPNer
May 15, 2011
Thank you so much for all your help...it really means a lot to me

Basically, a respectable granthi has told me to read this shabd daily for the next 40 days

I am now recovering from a long sickness and this shabd when recited daily should help me get some inner peace and get me walking properly again..

Thank you very much all, the granthi said it really fast and I could only manage to write down what I did..

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
it is intriguing how word ਸਾਂਤਿ in actual shabad means peace and but in the shabad quoted by the sonicheez means SANT... This derives an entirely different meaning altogether. :mundaviolin:

imho..the word "Sant" was used by the poster..not by the translators. All of the translations are essentially similar becasue this is a shabad in TETH Punjabi..meaning simple straightforward Punjabi langauge. No room for error..

If I may make a guess...the "shabad" is given as a Mantra to be recited for "peace" but the type of peace we ordinary folks seek is ususally the superficial one..( Peace in the family...husband fighting with wife..father beating his wife...daughter in a wild relationship the famaily doesnt agree with and thus constant squabbling..saas-noohn problems,,property matters..etc etc..while the GURU is concerned wth REAL PEACE which is attained via UNION with HIM...which means the MANN..the MIND..settles down..is at PEACE with ITSELF and stops running around...chasing dreams !! So the Sant/Baba ji/Brahmgyani etc will tell you..Go home..recite this shabad..so many times in so and so position..etc etc..and your alcohic husband will stop drinking..your run away daughter will return home..your quarrelsome daughter in law will stop fighting with your wife..your drug abusing son will rehabilitate....blah blah blah.. I come across such daily...people in emotional distress looking for some straw to catch hold of.....and others freely giving out such straws....when they should be explaining the real message of GURBANI is in PRACTISING IT PRACTICALLY and not theoratically mumbling it so many times a day ..

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
"Sonucheez: Basically, a respectable granthi has told me to read this shabd daily for the next 40 days - the granthi said it really fast and I could only manage to write down what I did.. "

I am totally flabbergasted how “a respectable granthi” could gives out such a poor & incomplete information, in passing, without proper explanation / instructions and adequate time. It indicates how much he cares & shares about & with the respected Guru Ji's sangat in spiritual need! But then such a GRANTHI is only a mere READER of Guru Granth Sahib Ji, nothing more ! There lies the problem of connecting the Sangat with the Guru Shabad!

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM