• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Help - I Want To Cut My Hair

Iqbal Singh

SPNer
Jan 4, 2010
This is letter from Father.

My Dear Son – You are truly gift from God,

Shri Guru Granth Sahib Ji starts with Jap Ji and 1st Poori of Jap Ji tells what is the Sikhi It says “Hukam Rajaee Chalna, Nanak Likhiya Naal”. Try to find out what is God's Hukam (God's Order), what I understood, God's Order is "Don't react in ego when some action happened on you". "Cutting hair is your reaction to environment which makes you feel you are different with hair". If you remember that
Our Sikh religion is the latest religion it is only 500 years ago, most of religions are about 2000 years ago one. If you check all the religions you will find, whoever is main person in the religion, had kept hair. Does anybody in internet forum say "Why they prefer to keep the hair"? Can a person without hair, is a Sikh? Answer is simply No because Sikh follows the God's Will. Hair is God's Will. Cutting hair is your will not God's Will. If you cut your hair, hair will come again as per Body structure (it is God's Will) then again if you cut it, it will come again, then why bother cutting the hair. If you are thinking of cutting hair then you are following your will not God's Will. God is most intelligent, the way God structures our body it is real piece of art. Everything on the body is at the perfect place, see your arm, God puts the arms where it should be, there is no other best place to put those arms, check all the human parts you will really appreciate God’s work. Same thing it is true for hair, our Guru Ji appreciates God’s work and specifically ordered his students that my student (Sikh) will keep hair. Jaspreet you may some best friends, you always try to make them happy and try not doing thing which makes them unhappy, God is parent of the whole man kind. It is same relationship as parent and child. Child may have both love and fear from parent. Love - because Child knows that there is someone who really cares about him/her from inner of the heart and without any reason or demands. If you are asked to carry 10 pounds weight day and night for one week, you simply say "No" no way. But mother keeps this 10 Pound weight for 6 months before the baby is born, Mother loves her child most. Fear- Because child knows that if do something wrong, mother will scold him/her. Why mother scolds, because they want to let know child what is right and what is wrong. Mother scolds child because she love her child, she want make him/her perfect. You love your teachers and your friends, though at the same you have some fear from them, fear that you don't do
some thing which makes them mad on you. When Guru Ji loves that his child should have hair, why should we keep it? All the Sikh who scarifies their life and not forsakes sikhi because they come to know that Guru Ji loves them lots. Jaspreet you are a blessed soul and God loves you very much and if you look at your life, you will find that God come to rescue you so many times and always helped you. Everything you have wished from God, God has given you; tell me is that not true?

If all the Sikh parent tells their children "do what you want with hair", none of children will keep their hair. Specially in Western Culture, Sikh Children are experiencing this issue, When I was child, I don’t have this issue, Though when I was in America, then I had this Issue, I was under intense pressure to cut my hair, some of friend did. I cannot make you choose to love your hair. My turban on my head does not tell my ego, it represents my humbleness, I did not listen to my mind who also told me under that pressure that I should cut my hair, that time I just don't get confused and just obey God's will and did not cut my hair. Here I am happy that I did not do that. I truly appreciate your efforts and courage to keep your hair.
If you keep your hair and you are not telling the world that I am proud Sikh, No, You are just saying that I am proud of "what I am", like it or not. Some people may not like your outer body because they don't know what is inside you. Also remembers that our outer body does not remain the same, if some loves because of body, their love will vanish once body changes its shape.
If you ask yours friend, "do you like Jaspreet with hair or without hair", they will tell you that it does not matter whether Jaspreet has hair or not, they like Jaspreet’s heart not the Jaspreet’s body. Jaspreet’s heart is good because it follows the God’s Will. Hair brings in you patience and courage and love for other human being in whatever stage they are in.

Sikhi is to know "Who am I", this is a simple definition. I am still trying to know; we will eventually know if we live our life in God’s will. If you want to join some music club and to do dance, I never stop you, please do it, you can put the pony tail while dancing. If club has some problem with your turban, then please let me know, we can talk to Club and educate them as it will open the way for other Sikh children to do dance too. Take my advice, one day, wear the turban and dance in the front of Glass; you will see how good you look….

Freedom without wisdom makes person thief, so may God bless us Wisdom.

Jaspreet my dear son, cutting hair will not solve any problem, it is not a win-win situation rather it is loose-loose condition. Let's postpone this decision. I would like you to be good in your career and earn truthful earning and I would try to help you all the way I can.

May God bless all!

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: