• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Hearing The Name Of Guru Nanak

Embers

SPNer
Aug 10, 2009
EU
Dear Concious Student
Based on your question as it is, there are some interesting angles and possible replies.

If you mean, why are you hearing it (sense of hearing) more than before it could be "{censored}tail Party effect" which is a concept which might be of interest and I suggest searching for a detailed explanation online.

If you mean the value of speaking/writing and talking about Guru Nanak and why his name occurs many times in the verses of scripture, such as Japji Sahib, I too would also be interested to discuss this further.

My initial understanding of Sikhism is that there should be no person between the aspirant and Akal Purkh and no person should be worshipped (as a God). So I do wonder why “Nanak” appears in praise, such as in the Mool Mantra. Of course Nanak is worthy of respect and admiration, but what is the purpose of reciting his name?

For people, like me, who are new to Sikhism the use of the vocative “O/Oh + name” can come across as unexpected or even contradictory to those ideas I mention above. For example: "True Here And Now. O Nanak, Forever And Ever True.”

Why did Guru Nanak refer to himself in the scriptures? Was this more normal in the period in which the Sri Guru Granth Sahib was written? Was the vocative case (i.e. Oh God, Oh Lord) used more freely then, than in modern day English and so sticks out to us today as superfluous? I would be grateful if someone could explain this from their understanding of the Sikh Scriptures and pardon my ignorance.

I should add that I have also seen the post titled "Nanak is The Guru, Nanak is The Lord Himself", which explains that the Guru and the Lord are One. I do not wish to address a topic that others have already exhausted. It appears that the Sri Guru Granth Sahib addresses the reader/recipient at the level of their understanding in relation to dualism and non-dualism and perhaps much more.

Please can you expand on your question if I have missed the point?

Kind regards, Ambers.

Embers

SPNer
Aug 10, 2009
EU
Thank you Ozarks
Interesting change in grammar in the example you provide. It is becoming clear that I will need to study Punjabi. :)
Kind regards, Ambers.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: