• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Harnam Singh Shan, The Sikh Historian Awarded

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

Award for Sikh Historian (Harnam Singh Shan)

Sikh Nugget: Award for Sikh Historian

Felicitations and honour by the Punjab Chief Minister at a state level function on Fateh Divas at Fatehgarh Sahib came as a salutation to the spiritually enlightened vision and literary prominence of legendary litterateur Harnam Singh Shan. He was presented a citation, shawl, memento, ceremonial sword, siropa and a cash award of Rs 51,000.

A genius with intuitive wisdom and vast knowledge, Professor Emeritus, Dr Harnam Singh Shan (87), ever sporting an innocent smile, is a renowned scholar of religious and Punjabi literary studies.

"All his works on history of religion, folklore and secular literature are more of dedication rather than occupation,"Prof John Burton Page of London University had once opined. His scholarly work deals with a variety of fields, such as language, literature, culture, religion, history, tradition, philosophy, lexicography, Sufi and Sikh folklore. He holds the highest academic degrees, including Ph D in Indian Literature from University of London and D.Litt. from PU besides eleven other national and International degrees.

Shan, at the ripe age of 87, is credited with 87 publications, 234 research papers, 67 book reviews and much more.

With eleven national and international awards, having held 110 positions in literary organisations, participation in 200 conferences in India and abroad, the highly decorated author is neither tired nor complacent as six of his prestigious works are in print or awaiting release.

Most prominent of them all is Guru Granth Sahib- An Analytical and Comprehensive Dictionary of the Thought of the Sacred Sikh Scripture ru

Attachments

• ls3.jpg
    ls3.jpg
    41.5 KB · Reads: 799

arshi

Writer
SPNer
Aug 20, 2009
I first learnt about this literary giant from Balwant Gargi’s book ‘Surmey Vaali Akkh’ a ‘tongue in cheek’ biography of several authors (published in the 1960s).

This had followed an earlier, mildly satirical, account of nine literary figures in ‘Nimm Dey Pattey’. In the process he (Gargi) upset many of his friends and colleagues, including the great Punjabi poetess Amrita Pritam. Despite a few deriding remarks, Harnam Singh Shan’s personality came out loud and clear and it was Gargi himself who, in my opinion, cut a sorry figure.

I have had the pleasure of occasionally reading his book ‘Guru Nanak da Shahkar Japji, a scholarly piece of work based on painstaking and dedicated effort. This is a must reference book for serious students of Gurbani. I would like to wish him many more years of good health and may his pen serve the Panth as it always has in the past.

It is disappointing to see the poor response to this thread while so much attention is levied on superficial matters such as ‘Mandira’s Tattoo’ – much ‘tattoo’ about nothing – as Shakespeare would say.

Rajinder Singh ‘Arshi’

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
It is disappointing to see the poor response to this thread while so much attention is levied on superficial matters such as ‘Mandira’s Tattoo’ – much ‘tattoo’ about nothing – as Shakespeare would say.

Rajinder Singh ‘Arshi’

arshi ji

How I do myself hanker after greater attention to this thread. We all have choices, control over what we fill our heads with.

Nov 16, 2006
Perth, western Australia
Naryanjot ji many many thanks for this post. i had the pleasure of meeting shan sahib 2 years ago at his residence in chandigarh. he gave me one of his books ' GURU ANGAD BACHNAVLI- SO SAID GURU ANGAD DEV" AS A GIFT WHICH IS MY PRIZED POSSESSION. HIS HUMILITY, HIS LOVE,COMPASSION AND AFFECIIONS AND HIS BLESSINGS ARE WITH ME. MAY GOD GIVE HIM LONG LIFE TO SERVE SIKHISM AND THE HUMANITY.
Award for Sikh Historian (Harnam Singh Shan)

Sikh Nugget: Award for Sikh Historian

Felicitations and honour by the Punjab Chief Minister at a state level function on Fateh Divas at Fatehgarh Sahib came as a salutation to the spiritually enlightened vision and literary prominence of legendary litterateur Harnam Singh Shan. He was presented a citation, shawl, memento, ceremonial sword, siropa and a cash award of Rs 51,000.

A genius with intuitive wisdom and vast knowledge, Professor Emeritus, Dr Harnam Singh Shan (87), ever sporting an innocent smile, is a renowned scholar of religious and Punjabi literary studies.

"All his works on history of religion, folklore and secular literature are more of dedication rather than occupation,"Prof John Burton Page of London University had once opined. His scholarly work deals with a variety of fields, such as language, literature, culture, religion, history, tradition, philosophy, lexicography, Sufi and Sikh folklore. He holds the highest academic degrees, including Ph D in Indian Literature from University of London and D.Litt. from PU besides eleven other national and International degrees.

Shan, at the ripe age of 87, is credited with 87 publications, 234 research papers, 67 book reviews and much more.

With eleven national and international awards, having held 110 positions in literary organisations, participation in 200 conferences in India and abroad, the highly decorated author is neither tired nor complacent as six of his prestigious works are in print or awaiting release.

Most prominent of them all is Guru Granth Sahib- An Analytical and Comprehensive Dictionary of the Thought of the Sacred Sikh Scripture ru

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM