• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

General Happy Diwali!

HannahBanana

SPNer
Sep 11, 2006
South Florida
Hello all!

I was reading about the upcoming holiday, Diwali on wikipedia. It says that Jains, Sikhs, Hindus, and Buddhists celebrate this holiday. So I just wanted to say Happy Diwali!

We can celebrate it here in the U.S. right? :shifty: :wink:

Jul 10, 2006
Hello all!

I was reading about the upcoming holiday, Diwali on wikipedia. It says that Jains, Sikhs, Hindus, and Buddhists celebrate this holiday. So I just wanted to say Happy Diwali!

We can celebrate it here in the U.S. right? :shifty: :wink:

Sikhs do not celebrate the Hindu festival but celebrate this day because of:- see article below please :

Bandi Chhor Divas
Bandi Chhor Diwas : October 21st, 2006​

hgb_divali.jpg
Guru Hargobind being released from the Gwalior Jail along with 52 Rajas, who held the strings attached to the dress of the Guru, hence the Guru was called Bandi Chhod.

Bandi Chhor Diwas (Diwali) is the anniversary of Guru Hargobind ji being released from the prison at Gwalior Fort. In was on this day in 1619 A D. The kind Guru ji refused to leave the fort of his own and demanded release of other 52 Hindu Rajas. The Moghuls being the cunning rulers they were, decided on a compromise. They said all the Maharajas that can hold onto your Chowla (gown) could walk out free along side you. The Sikhs smartly made a special Chowla with 50 long strips and all the prisoners walked free. Guru Hargobind ji is known as Bandhi Chhor because the imprisoned ones (Bandhi) were released (Chhor) by Him. Upon their return to Amritsar grand celebrations were held. Harmandir Sahib ji (Golden Temple) was illuminated and fireworks were displayed. Gurbani Kirtan (Hymns) and prayers were performed.​
Guru ji was always prepared to sacrifice his own freedom for the sake of other innocent people. Once Guru ji was accompanying Jahangir, then, a tiger attacked Jahangir. He fired all his shots/arrows but missed attacking on tiger. His accompanying officers failed to respond to his distress call. Brave Guru ji got off His horse and put the tiger to rest with His sword. This incident made Jahangir feel obliged to Guru ji for having saved his life and he began to repent for the sin he had committed by ordering assassination of Guru Arjun Dev ji (Guru ji's father). He visited Guru ji's mother, Mata Ganga ji and apologized for the cruelty. Guru ji demonstrated the extreme and difficult virtue of "forgiveness" when He saved Jahangir's life from an attacking tiger, despite all the hostility and the awful act of ordering assassination of the 5th Guru, Guru Arjun dev ji with an excuse that the latter was a threat to Islam.

Diwali of 1737

Bhai Mani singh transcribed the final version of Guru Granth Sahib upon dictation from Guru Gobind Singh ji in 1704 at Damdamma Sahib. After heavenly abode of Guru Sahib in 1708 he look charge of Harmandir Sahib ji's management. In 1737, invitations were rent to the Sikhs all over India to join Bandi Chhor Diwas celebrations at Harmandir Sahib. A tax of 5000 rupees (some say 10,000) had to be paid to the Mogul governor of Punjab; Zakariya Khan. Bhai Mani Singh Ji later discovered the secret plan of Zakariya khan to kill the Sikhs during the gathering. Bhai Mani Singh ji immediately sent message to all the Sikhs not to turn up for celebrations. Zakariya Khan wasn't happy about the situation and he ordered Bhai Mani Singh ji's assassination at Lahore by ruthlessly cutting him limb-by-limb to death. Ever since, the great sacrifice and devotion of Bhai Mani Singh ji is remembered on the Bandi Chhor Diwas (Diwali) celebration. After knowing the great history of these occasions or festivals, heart wants to say:

Hey Waheguru!
"Raaj Na Chaahayu, Mukti Na Chaahyu
Man Preet Charan Kamlaare"
Oh Wonderful Lord!
I neither desire for empire and material realm nor liberation or mukti,
my soul longs for the love of your lotus feet.​
Celebrating Diwali and Lightening a Deeva in true sense is acquiring divine knowledge and being selfless, tolerant, humble, kind and sweet spoken. That leads one to become one with Waheguru (god).​
Pray to God on this beautiful occasion of Diwali to give us light,
to give us understanding,
so that we may know what
pleaseth thee,
and may all (all whole mankind)
prosper by the Grace.​

What do we learn from Bandi-Chhor Diwas?

52 Hindu Kings were freed with Guru Sahib. Guru Sahib could have left the Fort when he was offered the chance. However, Guru Ji thought of others before himself. Others freedom and rights were more important than his own. Guru Ji is always thinking not of his emancipation but everyone's emancipation. This is the attitude and virtue which Guru Ji filled within his Sikhs, by putting into reality this positive message.

Jul 30, 2004
world
Gurfateh

Das just wants to put over here that in 84 there were more Hindus,who came to help Sikhs then say who killed them and in the same way there very good lots of Sikhs who acted on the behest of pseudo secular govt.

Jul 10, 2006
well this is very peculiar thought that sikh shouldnot celebrate diwali because this is a hindu"s festival

We celebrate it in the Gurdwara with prayers.

Its like Christmas etc. Not celebrated at home but if someone invites me to their home, I will go and celebrate it with them as a show of respect.

sukhz

SPNer
Apr 5, 2006
does anybody watches aajtak channel? i believe few of you does. yesterday they were saying in news all about diwali. i was listening. but after some time they showed Harmandir shaib ji they said " diwali is celebrated in golden temple with many lighted diveys etc and said are enjoying diwali with fireworks etc. yes they were trying to connect us with them . Hindus just think every single person in india is hindu and thats why evrybody celebrate diwali. trust me i hated all that stupid fake connection. We are sikh and we celebrated bani chord diwas not Diwali

Jul 28, 2006
Muktsar
ਧੰਨ ਧੰਨ ਸ਼ੀ੍ ਗੁਰੂ ਹਰਿਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਪਾਤਸ਼ਾਹਿ ਜੀ ਦੇ ਬੰਦੀ ਛੋੜ ਦਿਵਸ ਦੀ ਲੱਖ ਲੱਖ ਵਧਾਈ ਹੋਵੇ. wish u very hapy diwaaali.

13harpreet

SPNer
Sep 2, 2006
hello all, i proud to be a sikh & i want other also proud to be a sikh .bcoz sikhi is a one & only religion which have no fake thoughts.happy diwali to all .this is my thinking that people should make diwali to lightened their hearts with the name of god .

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM