• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Hair?

Veeru

SPNer
Jun 27, 2004
If building high-rise buildings, going bald, kids not being born with hair and women not having facial hair is God's hukam, then cutting hair could also considered God's hukam for those who do cut it.

Hukame andhar sabhko, bahar hukam na koye....

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
If building high-rise buildings, going bald, kids not being born with hair and women not having facial hair is God's hukam, then cutting hair could also considered God's hukam for those who do cut it.

Hukame andhar sabhko, bahar hukam na koye....

**Applause**

I agree but that doesn't mean everyone should cut their hair.
Smoking is also god's hukam but that doesn't mean everyone should smoke.

bkd

SPNer
Nov 2, 2006
Alrite...I was just at the Vaisakhi parade when many many girls had their open, and not covered. I have understood that fact is absoulutly wrong. This isnt a time to lookin good and not caring about your culture! However, my point is, is it wrong to let your hair down? Excluding parties? Perhaps at school or such? Is it wrong to straighten you hair? And is it wrong to curl it in such? I just want to know is it right? :confused:

this is my 1st time being here so I really don't know where to answer ur ouestion:confused: anyways to answer ur ? i know that we sikh girls cant starten our hair we can't even put theem down i mean we cant even show ourr hair in public. I f i made mistakes sorry im in hurry by
im new so u n\might not know me :) buy

bkd

SPNer
Nov 2, 2006
what is goin on where do i reply yur message anyway like i said we comot straghten our hair cause we are disreaspeact them we conot show then in public eather also it is best to do a kaski

bkd

SPNer
Nov 2, 2006
i know that we keep wour hair cause if somenone give u a gift and u thrw it away how would the person feel, what im trying to say is that waheguru gave us our hair as a gift and we cyt it how disrespectful is that. also they say when u go to hell god pulls u out of it w\ our hair.

bkd

SPNer
Nov 2, 2006
we canot cut our hair cause there are a gift fro\m god, imagine u givine a gift to a friend and she throws ot away how would u feel

Veeru

SPNer
Jun 27, 2004
Smoking is also god's hukam but that doesn't mean everyone should smoke.

So obviously there are marry choices we have in this God's world. One can smoke if s/he wants. But it doesn't necessarily mean that it's the best choice. The same way, one could choose to grow hair and the other one could choose to cut hair, but it really doesn't mean growing hair is better choice than cutting hair and vice versa....

max314

SPNer
May 28, 2006
Alrite...I was just at the Vaisakhi parade when many many girls had their open, and not covered. I have understood that fact is absoulutly wrong. This isnt a time to lookin good and not caring about your culture! However, my point is, is it wrong to let your hair down? Excluding parties? Perhaps at school or such? Is it wrong to straighten you hair? And is it wrong to curl it in such? I just want to know is it right? :confused:

Haha...wow, I'm sure it wasn't intentional, but this post is just one of those gems that has one funny line after another :rofl!!:

I love the idea how "caring about your culture" apparently means it's wrong to be "looking good" :}{}{}:

Also loved the demonising of hair straighteners and hair curlers... :}{}{}:

Jul 10, 2006
this is my 1st time being here so I really don't know where to answer ur ouestion:confused: anyways to answer ur ? i know that we sikh girls cant starten our hair we can't even put theem down i mean we cant even show ourr hair in public. I f i made mistakes sorry im in hurry by
im new so u n\might not know me :) buy

I dont know about "cant show our hair in public". Yes we can show our hair in public. I think the point is covering our head.

A head covering is a matter of "identity" and also to keep our hair neat and clean. Sikh women or I should say daughters of Guru Gobind Singh Ji, wear turbans. They follow the "warrior saint's" path.

I had this acquaintance who had decided to cover every bit of hair on her head first with a scarf and then a chunni. She was worried about even showing any stray hair (ie side burn area).!
I was pretty amazed at her reaction. I had to bite my tongue :)D ) from not telling her that No! we are not muslims! we are sikhs and covering "every bit" of hair on our head is not an issue/big deal for a Sikh women.

Felt like telling her maybe she should also wear a khanda pin on her scarf to differentiate her from a muslim.

I have started keeping my head hair long (tied up neatly) because I want a Sikh Identity. "Hair style" is not a big deal anymore.

A Sikh with 5 K's can easily be distinguished among a crowd. If I see a Sikh man without a turban, he might as well be a hindu, christian, buddist etc.

I think once a person starts exploring the scared contents of Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji, one automatically starts keeping ones hair long i.e. keep more of the 5 K's until they are ready to take Amrit. This is because the person starts to understand waheguroo's hukum i.e. to live by waheguroo's hukum.

Sikh identity is a discipline. Keeping ones hair long, I think eventually goes hand in hand with Guru ki bani.

Raamkalee Guru Amar Das - SGGSJ 918
cwlw inrwlI Bgqwh kyrI ibKm mwrig clxw ]
chaalaa niraalee bhagathaah kaeree bikham maarag chalanaa ||
The devotees' lifestyle is unique and distinct; they follow the most difficult path.
lbu loBu AhMkwru qij iqRsnw bhuqu nwhI bolxw ]
lab lobh ahankaar thaj thrisanaa bahuth naahee bolanaa ||
They renounce greed, avarice, egotism and desire; they do not talk too much.
KMinAhu iqKI vwlhu inkI eyqu mwrig jwxw ]
khanniahu thikhee vaalahu nikee eaeth maarag jaanaa ||
The path they take is sharper than a two-edged sword, and finer than a hair.
gur prswdI ijnI Awpu qijAw hir vwsnw smwxI ]
gur parasaadhee jinee aap thajiaa har vaasanaa samaanee ||
By Guru's Grace, they shed their selfishness and conceit; their hopes are merged in the Lord.

For a women, one isnt too bothered anymore whether the haircut or hairstyle is the latest fashion. One isnt bothered anymore whether tieing ones hair up in a neat bun makes one look years older.

I must also add here that I am only taking about the hair on ones head and from a womens point of view.

sarbjit_01

SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
ENGLAND
gettin bak 2 the 1st comment, i just wanted 2 say that bieng sikhs, we shouldnt feel the need to keep our hair open and 2 flaunt it in the name of fashion
we sikhs should be humble people with no ego
and covering our hair not only shows our identity but also protects our beautiful hair from breaking and also keeps it clean
and they keep ur ears all warm n snuggly
lol

Aug 6, 2006
Any issue related to sikhism must be discussed in the light of Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji. Hence Irequest all the writers in this forum to write replies giving references from SGGS ji. We must see what is the teachings of SGGS ji about hairs.
Roopsidhu

max314

SPNer
May 28, 2006
Any issue related to sikhism must be discussed in the light of Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji. Hence Irequest all the writers in this forum to write replies giving references from SGGS ji. We must see what is the teachings of SGGS ji about hairs.
Roopsidhu

Allow me to entertain that request:

----

"kabeer preeti ik siau keey aan dubhidhaa jaai; bhaavey laambe kes karu bhaavey gharari mundaai"

(Kabir, when you are in love with the One God, duality and alienation depart. You may have long hair, or you may shave your head bald.)

~ KABIR ~

Source: Adi Granth, p. 1365

----​

So, does that mean that the discussion is over?

Not really, because there is still the issue of the Khalsa panth, and how it links in with Sikkhi, and what relevance it holds today.

My personal view is that Khalsaism is purely a matter of personal choice, and one doesn't become 'more' or 'less' of a Sikkh if they choose not to follow the writings of the Dassam Granth. Rather, they simply choose not to live a life of warriorship or they manifest their warriorhood in a different manner.

It is also important to remember that the Khalsa fights only for humanity.

Think carefully: if the Moghula empire did not suppress the beliefs of non-Muslims, would the Sikkh Gurus have felt it necessary to create the Khalsa? Furthermore, if the teachings of the Dassam Granth are as timeless and eternal as those of the Granth Sahib, then why did Guru Gobind Singh Ji not bestow the status of Guru-ship upon it?

I think that the answers are fairly obvious. But accepting those answers for someone who has committed their mind to a particular idea is another matter entirely.

Aug 6, 2006
thanks max314,
all what you have wrote is true.
What I want to say is " that anyone who consider himself the khalsa or sikh of Sri Guru Gobind Singh ji has a duty to live his life as per the teachings of SGGS ji because its guru ji's hukam (guru maneeo granth).
Establishing SGGS ji as the last guru of sikhs was the last hukam of guru Gobind Singh ji. Please note that any new hukam or order always nullify the all old hukams ordered earlier.
Bhul chuk maaf

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM