• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Gurus Guru's Descendants - Familial Blood Lines?

singh_man

SPNer
Nov 15, 2006
Just out of curiosity... have the blood lines or family lineage of the Guru's ever been tracked and studied/reported?

Do the direct descendants of the Guru's make false claims or gain "special" respect today?

I know Guru Gobind Singh Ji transferred the Guruship to the Guru Granth Sahib as the final "Guru" but just wondering how the living descendants of the Guru's are living today.

Cheers - Singh_man

Last edited by a moderator:

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
There are Sodhi, Bedi and Bhalla Families in Ferozepore. The Sodhis call themselves Gurus. Infacts their names start with Guru so n so. The town where most of them have land is called Guru Harsahai. Bhallas claim that they are the direct descendants from Ram Chander ji. A writer named Dr. Diwaan Singh Bhalla was writing a book about this fiction before he passed away.

Both Sodhis and Bedis claim to have Pothis from the Gurus which they keep under the wraps and invite the ignorants to matha tek for a price. This is the way they rake money from those who have no idea what Sikhi is.

The main point to be made here is that our indian culture is full of heirachy. Taya is more important than Chacha. Bhuas, Massis, Mamas deves, jeths etc..etc.. all have thier important heirachial roles in Indian culture.

Thanks to Guru Nanak, he put a stop to Heirachy in Sikhi although we manmukhs donot get it. In order to eliminate this patrachial system, Guru Nanak chose Guru Angad as the second Guru not his son. Same way Guru Ram Das chose Guru Arjan as the 5th Guru rather than Prithvi Chand the eldest son.

The above attitide proves that one is not born a sikh but becomes one. hence bloodlines are only the part of nature whereas Sikhi is pure nurturing after Nature has nurtured us in the mother's womb for 9 months.

Tejwant

navroopsingh

SPNer
Nov 15, 2006
arent the udasi's a "bloodline" of guru nanak dev ji? I dont know where i heard it and i could be wrong but im just curious

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
the Udasis are a Rival Sect formed by the REJECTED son of guru nanak ji sahib. It is NOT Gurmatt. They controlled all sikh gurdwaras from 1708 onwards when the Sikhs were hunted down and being killed...and finally forced to give back the Gurdwaras during the 1920 GURDWARAUDHAAR LEHR..and MORCHAS to free Gurdwaras. The Udasi Mahants including narainu of nankana sahib murderd Sikhs trying to get control of nankana sahib.
Now a days some udasi adherents are trying to ressurect udasi and founder Sri chand as a Sahibzadah..when He was REJECTED as UNFIT by guru nanak Ji.
Gyani jarnail Singh

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
gyani ji but baba srichand maintained good relation with gurughar.and
if i am not wrong guru hargobind ji gave his eldest son to baba srichand
as his successor.just because there were corrupt udasis it doee not mean we should call all of them bad

Soni79

SPNer
May 27, 2010
A text is going around. It arrived 2 days ago. It said that "Guru Nanak's descendants are walking the earth. They said that the Sikhs are standing with the muslims get ready"

This message has been sent to the Sikhs

What do you think?

Soni79

SPNer
May 27, 2010
:khanda3:

If this message is from Guru Nanak#'s descendants we have a duty to follow...it is the Sikhi way!!!! Peace to all the world..Our Guru's have come to us in our time of need.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
A text is going around. It arrived 2 days ago. It said that "Guru Nanak's descendants are walking the earth. They said that the Sikhs are standing with the muslims get ready"

This message has been sent to the Sikhs

What do you think?

Soni79 ji

Yes Guru Nanak's descendants are walking the earth and they are private citizens. In sikhism status and rank in society should be of neglgiible importance. The lineage of one human being makes him no more and no less important than another. Only one thing is important.

ਸਲੋਕ ਮ ੧ ॥
salok ma 1 ||
Shalok, First Mehl:

ਫਕੜ ਜਾਤੀ ਫਕੜੁ ਨਾਉ ॥
fakarr jaathee fakarr naao ||
Pride in social status is empty; pride in personal glory is useless.

ਸਭਨਾ ਜੀਆ ਇਕਾ ਛਾਉ ॥
sabhanaa jeeaa eikaa shhaao ||
The One Lord gives shade to all beings.

ਆਪਹੁ ਜੇ ਕੋ ਭਲਾ ਕਹਾਏ ॥
aapahu jae ko bhalaa kehaaeae ||
You may call yourself good;

ਨਾਨਕ ਤਾ ਪਰੁ ਜਾਪੈ ਜਾ ਪਤਿ ਲੇਖੈ ਪਾਏ ॥੧॥
naanak thaa par jaapai jaa path laekhai paaeae ||1||
O Nanak, this will only be known when your honor is approved in God's Account. ||1||

What concerns me is that the idea that Guru Nanak's descendants is coupled with the idea that Sikhs are standing with muslims. What is the connection? Get ready for what?

These 3 ideas together have the sound of an Internet scam.

You follow up with the conviction that we should follow messages from Guru Nanak's descendants. I beg to differ. Guru Nanak has already given us the pillars of our faith and we have only to use our good sense to apply these principles of devotion, truthfulness and service in our daily lives. The message is found in Sri Guru Granth Sahib, repeated over and again, in many different ways.

ਪਿਤਾ ਜਾਤਿ ਤਾ ਹੋਈਐ ਗੁਰੁ ਤੁਠਾ ਕਰੇ ਪਸਾਉ ॥
pithaa jaath thaa hoeeai gur thuthaa karae pasaao ||

The father's status is obtained only if the Guru is pleased and bestows His Favor.

Please do not leave yourself to be misled by individuals who are looking for followers to support their personal need for power and ego.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Roop Ji..absolutely right.
Simply being my fathers son by blood..means NOTHING..( IT may mean something by worldy standards..property inheritance etc etc..BUT GURBANI is NOT for that sort of thing).

1.ALL the sourness and even ENMITY on the part of the "blood relations" of the GURUS arose due to their misconception that GURGADEE of NANAK is a WORLDLY INHERITANCE and should go by BLOODLINE !! They failed (rather miserably_ to see that the Gurgadee is BY MERIT...successor is chosen by the GURU...and evryone..I MEAN "EVERYONE" is eligible....and Final choice is entirely up to the GURU Himself...as each Guru ji showed in succession until 1708 when Guru Gobind Singh Ji CHOSE SGGS..and NO OTHER GRANTHS for this all important "post"....from 1469 to 1708..and BEYOND..ONLY ONE GURU has sat on the Gurgadee of Nanak. No sub-gurus !! NOW ONLY SGGS is GURU. No sub-guru granths as pretenders to the Throne of nanak.

2. Even NOW we sikhs still have Udasis, Nirmalas and others who are not quite GURMATT ORIENTED as Khalsa of SGGS...some actively promote the "environment" but never speak a word of Gurbani of SGGS, or say the Gurfateh and yet control Gurdwaras and are accepted as leaders and holy men. Its OK but a full fledged SIKH fully following and APPLYING Gurmatt and SGGS gurbani in his life would be even more acceptable and desirable.WHY full fledged Sikh "Holy men" wouldnt support the enviornment, greening, anti-pollution, deforestation, wholesale misuse of pesticides, crimianl wastage of scarce water resources, female foeticide, dowry practises etc etc..is beyond me..DESPITE having THOUSANDS of DERAS full to the brim with these HOLY MEN/Babas/mahapurashs...the one person who emerges into this field is a NIRMALA SAADH !! SAD !!cheerleadercheerleadercheerleadercheerleadercheerleadercheerleader

Aug 6, 2006
SSA,
Yes Giyani ji, very wel detailed by you. Some persons just want popularity and they go out to keep themselves in the news adopting different issues and specially the hot topics of the day. I have been told by someone that so called gurus and babas have appointed media asvisors and even publisity managers also to keep publisized one or anotherway.
What we can expect fron such babas.
Roopsidhu

Aug 6, 2006
SSA, Giyani ji, As you have written Dasam Guruji CHOSE Sri Guru Granth Sahib..and NO OTHER GRANTHS for this all important "post. It means we are supposed to obey only SGGS ji. Then why we go to other books for SRM ?. Why we have taken nitname banis from other granths ( other than SGGS ji)? Why all the SRM is not taken from SGGS ji ?.
Why the ardas is not from SGGS ji ?. These are some of the question being asked from us by others.
Roopsidhu

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
SSA,
Yes Giyani ji, very wel detailed by you. Some persons just want popularity and they go out to keep themselves in the news adopting different issues and specially the hot topics of the day. I have been told by someone that so called gurus and babas have appointed media asvisors and even publisity managers also to keep publisized one or anotherway.
What we can expect fron such babas.
Roopsidhu

Nothing surprises me anymore. Not even this surprises me. It is however very sad.

Ishar

SPNer
Aug 31, 2015
Sat Sri Akal,

We are apparently related to Guru Angad Dev, but we are just a business family and more so identified with a liberal blend of Arya Samaj and Sikhism.

Our ancestral place of worship that we historically are supposed to worship at, and have been for hundreds of years, is Goindwal Sahib Gurudwara in Sri Hargobindpur. Although American (born and raised), when I went there one time we had a special recognition (we did not ask for it). I think the concept of taking credit or greatness by association for something ones ancestors did is silly personally.

I am saddened by the ultra orthodox interpretation of Sikhism these days sometimes, especially what I read online or politics in some Gurudwara ( calls for Khalistan, pictures of Bhindrawale). The Sikhism that my family knows is that of tolerance and respect.

Jai Trehan

SPNer
May 27, 2017
SSA

For academic interest only.

I noticed this conversation,and with your permission Id like to add some information.

Yes decendents atleast from Guru Angad Dev Ji (Bhai Lehna Trehan) exist.I can confirm this since I am a direct decendent.

We live ordinary lives.For many generations my family was based in areas of present day Pakistan.Post partition,the members settled in various parts of India.

Detailed family tree I think will be found in Haridwar as I've been told if one wishes to pursue.

We have customarily never expected any special treatment at a Gurudwara.On rare occasions learned elderly people have figured out who we are and seeked blessings.We respectfully inform them that we are not worthy of such an honour & are their fellow human beings and nothing more.

For those curious Im adding the obituary to my great grandfather published in the Lahore Tribune 27 Feb 1947.The second one has been offered by my grandfather & his elder brother.

I would be happy to connect with other decendants to trace my family roots.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-05-27-09-41-03-882.jpeg
    Screenshot_2017-05-27-09-41-03-882.jpeg
    64.9 KB · Reads: 722

sukhsingh

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2012
UK
the Udasis are a Rival Sect formed by the REJECTED son of guru nanak ji sahib. It is NOT Gurmatt. They controlled all sikh gurdwaras from 1708 onwards when the Sikhs were hunted down and being killed...and finally forced to give back the Gurdwaras during the 1920 GURDWARAUDHAAR LEHR..and MORCHAS to free Gurdwaras. The Udasi Mahants including narainu of nankana sahib murderd Sikhs trying to get control of nankana sahib.
Now a days some udasi adherents are trying to ressurect udasi and founder Sri chand as a Sahibzadah..when He was REJECTED as UNFIT by guru nanak Ji.
Gyani jarnail Singh
I'm not sure you can say rejected

lionprinceuk

(previously Lion_Prince_Jatinder)
SPNer
Jun 29, 2004
west london
I'm not sure you can say rejected
wow you revived an old thread.

Anyways, you're correct, as Guru Hargobind Sahib gave his son, Baba Gurditta ji, to become the next leader of the Udasis after Baba Sri Chand.

Also, the line Aad Sach, Jugaad Sach, Haibhi Sach, Nanak hosi bhi sach was entered into Sukhmani Sahib when Guru Arjan Dev ji was discussing with Baba Sri Chand on how to continue Sukhmani Sahib. So this line was added because of Baba Sri Chand.

sukhsingh

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2012
UK
wow you revived an old thread.

Anyways, you're correct, as Guru Hargobind Sahib gave his son, Baba Gurditta ji, to become the next leader of the Udasis after Baba Sri Chand.

Also, the line Aad Sach, Jugaad Sach, Haibhi Sach, Nanak hosi bhi sach was entered into Sukhmani Sahib when Guru Arjan Dev ji was discussing with Baba Sri Chand on how to continue Sukhmani Sahib. So this line was added because of Baba Sri Chand.
So being a pedant i recognise the first part and whilst have no reference point am not sure about the second part.. Realistically I am not sure if it matters..

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM