• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Guru Nanak In Vedas

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Dhan Bhai Gurdas! He sums it up

ਜਿਉ ਕਰਿ ਕਥਿਆ ਚਾਰਿ ਬੇਦਿ ਖਟਿ ਸਾਸਤ੍ਰਿ ਸੰਗਿ ਸਾਖ ਸੁਣਾਵੈ।

Jiu Kari Kadiaa Chaari Baydi Khati Saasatri Sangi Saakhi Sounaavai.

As the four Vedas have been defined, the description of the six philosophies (Shastras) also complements them.

ਆਪੋ ਆਪਣੇ ਮਤ ਸਭਿ ਗਾਵੈ ॥੮॥

Aapo Aapanay Mati Sabhi Gaavai ॥8॥

They all eulogise their own view point.

8 ਵਾਰਾਂ ਭਾਈ ਗੁਰਦਾਸ : ਵਾਰ ੧ ਪਉੜੀ ੮ ਪੰ. ੮

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Abneetji,

There is something about your posts which seem to have a long running theme, almost like you are warming up to something,

you start with

I may be only 15, but I know whats going on in Punjab and whats happening to Sikhs not only in Punjab but all over the world.

Someone has to stand up for Sikhs in Punjab for once and for all

moving on to

With all due respcet, Arvind I can see what your trying to say but we should care for others and throughout Sikh history Gurus have cared for others in tough times. Right now is a real struggle for Punjab with threats and all these drugs and wrong teachings, someone needs to stand up<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

I was just wondering, why did Guru Nanak mention Prophet Muhammad and say he was one of God's beloved prophets when he saw described afterlife, but Prophet Muhammad said he was the last of the prophets every to set on Earth. So why would Guru Nanak even mention him even when Muhammad would reject Guru Nanak as a prophet as God.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Every has read atleast one testimony about near-death experiences.

But why does every person from different religion see something different.
Christians see the light of Jesus Christ apparently, and Muslims see light of Allah.

From my view no one has the right answer since they haven't died fully yet.

What are your guys take on this

and then two posts lauding this Kirpal Singh Gill fellow, who according to

http://www.earthportals.com/Portal_Messenger/biosahib.html

At some of his earlier trips to the USA in the 1960's, certain psychics in America beheld on him a thick effulgent golden halo either around his head from shoulder to shoulder or at times a bright golden aura enveloping him from head to foot. As a consequence he started to be called a 'Prophet', much to his utter embarrassment. Again on one of his many trips to India, a number of people saw the same golden halo around his head, but this time accompanied also by a red flame rising up from his forehead.
Flame From Forehead
Incidentally, it is recorded in one of the Scriptures corroborating such a manisfestation, particularly that of a flame from the forehead thus,
"Pragateh joth mahant ke maathei, Nanak uthrei tein ke saathei"
- (Sukhmani Sahib), meaning, "A lustre of light manifests from the forehead of an illustrious sage; many are transformed and saved in his company". At other times, especially when he is conducting a Meditation session, many have noticed his body becoming completely transformed into the likeness of some of the World's leading Prophets of old.
He himself does not attach much importance to these seemingly impressive outer manisfestations. But a more significant scenario unfolds when participants at his Meditation sessions begin to be baptised effortlessly into an experience of an ecstatic euphoria and a spontaneous vibrant awakening of the Holy Spirit within. This phenomenon validates the oft repeated Scriptural pronouncement, "God is Realised in the Ecstacy of the Awakening". Due to all these strange phenomenon people began calling him a Mahatma, a Satguru (Godly Guru), Baba (Grandfather), Sant (Saint) and other such honorifics, all of which are not in his nature to acknowledge and to adopt.

no no, it gets better!

Strange Birth
It may be pertinent to mention that his birth carries with it a strange and significant history.
He was born in Malaysia after 4 sibling sisters, with the blessing of a mysterious Indian mystic who had the divine gift of bestowing children on barren women and other needy mothers, even with a sex of their own choice! This Saint enjoined on his mother to become a vegetarian because a pure Soul of great Spiritual significance was prepared and destined to become her son. He related that a superior Spiritual being in a previous life time, having achieved God realisation after practicing rigorous Meditation among the snowy Himalayan peaks, and while descending down the mountain paths to share his new found Divine knowledge with the masses below, perished on the way. This elevated Soul the mystic Saint said, now desires to take birth again to complete his earthly mission. He then divulged to the would-be mother that this special son of hers would travel 4 times around the world before her demise and on every such overseas trip, would address aspirants on the Spiritual path and while so doing, certain significant and momentous happenings would take place. The much awaited son was born on Sunday, 16th January 1921, in Malaysia. Only after every one of these momentous happenings had come to pass precisely as predicted, that the mother had to believe the mystic's Saint's strange forebodings. She was also told that he would eventually rise to even higher Divine heights, to take a pre-eminent place among the world's leading Spiritual luminaries.
any agenda here my friend? is your next post going to be 'Guru Nanak in Vegas reborn!'

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2010
Does anyone know if Guru Nanak actually said anything about the Vedas specifically? The thing is that it is pretty accurate describing their will be ten prophet and etc... but are their false statements. IDK

Here I found this site with comments that argue if the source is reliable.

http://www.speakingtree.in/spiritual-blogs/seekers/mysticism/auguries-about-guru-nanak-in-vedas

It should be very clar that Guru Nanak ji said nothing of his own.
Therefore any one should understand GuRu Nanak ji in above context to be more clear.
Prakash.S.Bagga

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
It should be very clar that Guru Nanak ji said nothing of his own.
Therefore any one should understand GuRu Nanak ji in above context to be more clear.
Prakash.S.Bagga

Prakash ji

The above statement could be interpreted to mean that Guru Nanak stole ideas from others and plagiarized when he wrote his shabads. Is that what you mean? It is a serious statement to make.

Or do you mean that Satguru spoke through him. That all his words came from a divine place?

Aug 28, 2010
Does anyone know if Guru Nanak actually said anything about the Vedas specifically? The thing is that it is pretty accurate describing their will be ten prophet and etc... but are their false statements. IDK

Here I found this site with comments that argue if the source is reliable.

http://www.speakingtree.in/spiritual-blogs/seekers/mysticism/auguries-about-guru-nanak-in-vedas

I have just posted my comment in the speaking tree for your reference pl.
Prakash.S.Bagga

Aug 28, 2010
Prakash ji

The above statement could be interpreted to mean that Guru Nanak stole ideas from others and plagiarized when he wrote his shabads. Is that what you mean? It is a serious statement to make.

Or do you mean that Satguru spoke through him. That all his words came from a divine place?

Yes it is that SATi GuR spoke through him.This is declared so in Gurbanee.
Therefore it is this context one should try to understand Gurbanee.
It is ultimately SATi GuR being refered as GurNanak.

Prakash.S.Bagga

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Yes it is that SATi GuR spoke through him.This is declared so in Gurbanee.
Therefore it is this context one should try to understand Gurbanee.
It is ultimately SATi GuR being refered as GurNanak.

Prakash.S.Bagga

Then thank you so much for this clarification. I was distraught. Young people could take things very literally. This is very good of you.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
None of the Sikh GURUS..worked until "RETIREMENT AGE...and then only began preaching !! This Gill fellow was at work until 55 - head engineer of Govt owned radio/TV Malaya RTM....so a "Heavenly soul" who after meditating for centuries..and SLIPPED to his DEATH while coming down the Mountains ( another similar tale about Hemkunt doesnt have this much DRAMA)..and WAITED centuries for human birth...then WAITED for another 55 years after being born...a 8am - 6 job in a Govt office...to begin his "so called Spiritual Mission complete with halos and Flames from forehead etc...pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeee lah..HARRY POTTER reads much better than this...
Isnt it so clear and transparent thta its MR GILL who "Needs" authentication way more than Guru nanak Ji...this is naother rehash of what the Nanaksarees do...to establish their own "shady credentials" they first insist on "praising" Guru nanak to the skies..and subtly INTRODUCE the idea that..NOW GURU NANAK..is their recent WADDEH BABA JI....so Mr Gill is actually trying very hard to be the REINCARNATION of VISHNU via the VEDAS..and GURU Nanak Ji...:faujasingh:

Abneet

SPNer
Apr 7, 2013
its people like this that give the meditating community a bad name lol

Wow this went the opposite way I expected. First I'm not mr gill or what ever his name is. I'm sikh and yeah a very questioning one haha. I'm trying to Learn more about sikhs and questioning it (not in a bad way). If it seems like than my bad. Really I'm just a typical sikh teenager who's trying learn. I would never believe guru Nanak was in the Vedas I really just wanted to know if this source in the Vedas was authentic or not.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
I just wanted to know if this source in the Vedas was authentic or not.

this is what is known as a lose/lose question, If the source is authentic, it only adds weight to Sikhism being an offshoot of Hinduism, if the source is not authentic, it takes proof away in some eyes as to the validity of Sikhism, why would you want to know such a thing in the first place?

Do you think other religions seek to validate themselves in such a way?

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Bhai lehnnaa Ji "beleived" in GURU NANAK...( After having believed in many devis etc for about 30 years)....He certainly did not need any "validation" form nay vedas or Quaran etc..He simply beleived that GURU NANAK JI is the BEST thing that happened to HIM..and he thus became ANGAD _Part /LIMB of Guru nanak ji...
If we call ourselves SIKH of GURU NANAK JI..we must beleive like Bhai lehnna Ji...or we will be left by the wayside..asking each passerby.."wheres the right road ??"...the RIGHT ROAD is the one we are ON Ji...:faujasingh:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Wow this went the opposite way I expected. First I'm not mr gill or what ever his name is. I'm sikh and yeah a very questioning one haha. I'm trying to Learn more about sikhs and questioning it (not in a bad way). If it seems like than my bad. Really I'm just a typical sikh teenager who's trying learn. I would never believe guru Nanak was in the Vedas I really just wanted to know if this source in the Vedas was authentic or not.

Then Abneet ji you are doing what exactly you should do, question, react, and question more.

In response to your question about "this source." Read what I wrote a while back. The source is not competent regarding Hindu meanings of Hindu concepts. Not for the first time, a happenstance understanding of the Hindu scriptures is used to distort the teachings of Guru Nanak, and then goes on to claim Hinduism owns Sikhi. The source should be considered with caution.

Too many people have too many agendas, political and otherwise, aimed at proving that Sikhism is an offshoot of the "Hindu" belief. Not then a surprise that they write books about it.

Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM