• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Guru Nanak In Vedas

Aug 28, 2010
Well, muslim apologetics can go to such levels as to claim that Gurbani too validates Islam. Not to mention the theological bases are always shaky.
Could you please include the verses too with such claims? It would be very helpful....

I have never gone thru the texts of Vedas.
I did listen to the Lecture delivered by Mr NAYAK a Muslim Scholarin India
who seems to have studied Vedas in more comprehensive way.
My information is based from his lectures.
Prakash.S.Bagga

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
This article came up while I was researching and I found it to be interesting.

\http://adishakti.org/_/prophecies_about_guru_nanak_in_hindu_vedas.htm

Tell me what you guys think of it.

First of all I am getting a "server not found" message on the link. So we can't really examine the facts or the logic of the article until we can get access to it.

Second, the full link mentions "prophecies _about_guru_nanak_in_Hindu_Vedas" Think please whether it matters whether he was prophesied or not.. Guru Nanak was and is. That is all that makes a difference, unless of course you feel that Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji needs to be boosted up by a Hindu source. If so, then you are also thinking that the Vedas are a more authoritative source for Sikhs than Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji who is our Guru. When was that repealed?

Third, Guru Nanak said in so many words, I have read the Vedas and the Puranas,and now it is time to take a new direction.

That last point would be worthwhile exploring through vichaar of full shabads.

Last edited:

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
In Vedas ,there are prophecies for

MOHAMMAD SAHIB too.

Prakash.s Bagga

I have never gone thru the texts of Vedas.
I did listen to the Lecture delivered by Mr NAYAK a Muslim Scholarin India
who seems to have studied Vedas in more comprehensive way.
My information is based from his lectures.
Prakash.S.Bagga

Prakash Singh ji

Guru Fateh,

You as a scholar should get in touch with and ask him when were the Vedas written and when Islam came into existent?

@ Harry ji,

You have been watching too many re runs of "Hangover I"and Hangover III.:)

Aug 28, 2010
Prakash Singh ji

Guru Fateh,

You as a scholar should get in touch with and ask him when were the Vedas written and when Islam came into existent?

@ Harry ji,

You have been watching too many re runs of "Hangover I"and Hangover III.:)
Well,It would be better if you can listen to him directly that would ba more convincing for you instead I ask him and represent the same.
I am sure you will not find any thing different what I have mentioned.
He is EXPERT in compari tative study of Islam and Hinduism.Certainly he must have indepth study of both before he can say anything like that.

This fact is also stated in Gurbanee you must be knowing this very well.

Prakash.S.Bagga

Last edited:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
I fixed the url. The page should now be visible. Prepare yourself for real babble. The article is a review of a book about Guru Nanak by one Bhai Kirpal S. Gill, and the lead pic is about Jesus's betrayal by Judas by author E. Pagel. The Punjabi term for this is "panga."

Later I will deal with specifics. Have to run. But someone should take a look at the adishakti home page to get a sense of what agendas might be playing out. One of them it seems is the "world peace" agenda. How could one argue? To do otherwise would be like shooting your grandmother. You must however ask yourself if "world peace" is a sufficient justification for promoting mistruths about Guru Nanak, misunderstanding of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji and puerile interpretations of the Vedas.

Last edited:

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Well,It would be better if you can listen to him directly that would ba more convincing for you instead I ask him and represent the same.
I am sure you will not find any thing different what I have mentioned.
He is EXPERT in compari tative study of Islam and Hinduism.Certainly he must have indepth study of both before he can say anything like that.

Prakash.S.Bagga

Prakash Singh ji,

Guru Fateh.

Then from your own scholarly expertise, please let me know when were the Vedas written and when Islam came into being.

I am very well aware of that because Sikhi started much later than Islam. Islam was in full bloom then. Remember Babar?

Regards

Tejwant Singh

aristotle

SPNer
May 10, 2010
Ancient Greece
Weirdly so, Mr. Zakir Naik and other apoligetics refuse to acknowledge the Torah and Bible saying they were 'corrupted', even when they are mentioned in the Qur'an as Heavenly books and the believers of these books are referred to as 'Ahle-Qitaab'( People of the book); but they don't miss the opportunity to base their arguments on Hindu texts, none of them mentioned in the Qur'an or Hadiths even once (perhaps Muhammad didn't know which all prophecies he was fulfilling). What a standard of scholarship such people have, I've always failed to understand.

Brother Onam

Writer
SPNer
Jul 11, 2012
I thought the title of this thread was Guru Nanak in Vegas at first, after reading the above site, I wish it had been, it might have made more sense and been closer to the truth.

This is another snake oil website and has nothing to do with Guru Nanakji or Sikhism.

This is the same mis-reading of the title I had.
I was just thinking to myself, if he's appearing at the Bellagio, that might be worth freeing up a weekend for.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Does anyone know if Guru Nanak actually said anything about the Vedas specifically?

abneet ji

Go to http://www.srigranth.org

Type "vedas" in the search engine.

You will see pages of single tuks with links to click on. You get the entire shabad after you click on the link.

Read entire shabads - because when Guru Nanak says something like

ਆਖਹਿ ਵੇਦ ਪਾਠ ਪੁਰਾਣ ॥
Ākẖahi veḏ pāṯẖ purāṇ.
The Vedas and the Puraanas speak

In context of the entire section of Ang 5, where that tuk appears, Guru Nanak also says that the vedas and puraanas speak of the One, who is the Priceless gift, worthy of devotion. Guru Nanak is not endorsing Vedas and Puraanas as the sources of Truth. Therefore there is no way that Guru Nanak is using them as a springboard for his own philosophy. Read and think. Guru Nanak says on Ang 5 that Krishna and gopis speak, many created Buddhas speak, devils and demi gods speak, spiritual warriors, the heavenly beings, the silent sages, the humble and serviceful speak, and all these have arisen and departed. Only sacha akaal has not departed. Check it for yourself.

Now if the book, as the review claims, is based on meticulous analysis of the vedas, it may be nothing more than meticulously matching of words and phrases- word counts - how many times x, y or z Hindu ideas are mentioned. Not a matching of meanings. But the story of Guru Nanak disappearing for 3 days in a river and emerging enlightened, as related in the review and elsewhere, could be a rehash of the allegory of the water-birth of Shiva (some sects say Vishnu). Using a literal understanding of the Hindu allegory it is possible that someone took the idea of creating oneself in water, or being reborn in water, pasted it into a collection of janamsakhi of Guru Nanak, and plumb forgot to explain that the Hindu allegory means something very different if you do not take it literally. So either confused or confusing, this book undermines Sikhi.

Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM