• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Gurus Guru Hargobind 1595-1644 (Gurgaddi June 11)

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Guru Hargobind ji (1606-1644)

Overview

While in prison, before his execution at Lahore, Guru Arjun had sent a message to his son, Guru Hargobind, then aged only eleven, that he should henceforth maintain an army. At the very time of his installation as Guru, he insisted that he should wear two swords, one representing his spiritual leadership and the other his temporal and political leadership. Soon after it, he constructed in front of the Amritsar temple, another building called the Akal Takht (God's throne) as the seat of temporal power. This place continues to the present day as the centre of every sociopolitical deliberation and power of the community. There, like the two swords he wore, he raised aloft two flags representing the two aspects of his activities. He told his followers, "My rosary shall be my swordbelt and on my turban I shall wear the emblem of royalty." The Sikhs were already engaged in the trade of horses and the Guru advised every Sikh to keep a sword and maintain a horse, wherever possible. He started recruiting a regular army. He had a personal bodyguard of 57 horsemen and kept 700 horses, 60 gunmen and 500 infantry men. Thus a state within a state, started and developed by the earlier Gurus, was consolidated by him. When this news reached the Emperor, he demanded from the Guru the fine imposed on his father. The Guru was imprisoned in the Gwalior fort along with other political prisoners of high status. Later he was released.

See more at this link

http://www.sikh-history.com/sikhhist/gurus/nanak6.html

Attachments

• guru_hargobind.jpg
    guru_hargobind.jpg
    39 KB · Reads: 264

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
ਸੋਰਠਿ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ॥

Soraṯẖ mėhlā 5.
Sorath 5th Guru.

ਮੇਰਾ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਰਖਵਾਲਾ ਹੋਆ ॥
Merā saṯgur rakẖvālā ho▫ā.
My True Guru is not my saviour.

ਧਾਰਿ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਹਾਥ ਦੇ ਰਾਖਿਆ ਹਰਿ ਗੋਵਿਦੁ ਨਵਾ ਨਿਰੋਆ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
Ḏẖār kirpā parabẖ hāth ḏe rākẖi▫ā har goviḏ navā niro▫ā. ||1|| rahā▫o.
Taking pity and lending His hand, the Lord has saved Hargobind and he is now safe and sound. Pause.

ਤਾਪੁ ਗਇਆ ਪ੍ਰਭਿ ਆਪਿ ਮਿਟਾਇਆ ਜਨ ਕੀ ਲਾਜ ਰਖਾਈ ॥
Ŧāp ga▫i▫ā parabẖ āp mitā▫i▫ā jan kī lāj rakẖā▫ī.
The fever is gone, the Lord has Himself banished it and saved the honour of His slave.

ਸਾਧਸੰਗਤਿ ਤੇ ਸਭ ਫਲ ਪਾਏ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਕੈ ਬਲਿ ਜਾਂਈ ॥੧॥
Sāḏẖsangaṯ ṯe sabẖ fal pā▫e saṯgur kai bal jāʼn▫ī. ||1||
From the society of saints, I have obtained all the boons and unto the True Guru, I am a sacrifice.

ਹਲਤੁ ਪਲਤੁ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਦੋਵੈ ਸਵਾਰੇ ਹਮਰਾ ਗੁਣੁ ਅਵਗੁਣੁ ਨ ਬੀਚਾਰਿਆ ॥
Halaṯ palaṯ parabẖ ḏovai savāre hamrā guṇ avguṇ na bīcẖāri▫ā.
The Lord has saved me both in this world and the next one and my merits and demerits, He has not taken into account.

ਅਟਲ ਬਚਨੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਗੁਰ ਤੇਰਾ ਸਫਲ ਕਰੁ ਮਸਤਕਿ ਧਾਰਿਆ ॥੨॥੨੧॥੪੯॥
Atal bacẖan Nānak gur ṯerā safal kar masṯak ḏẖāri▫ā. ||2||21||49||
Never failing, O Guru Nanak, is Thy word. Thy auspicious hand, thou hast placed on my forehead.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
YouTube - ‪Bhai Randhir Singh - Karaj Satgur Aap Sawareya‬‏

ਬਿਲਾਵਲੁ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ॥
Bilāval mėhlā 5.
Bilaaval, Fifth Mehl:

ਸਗਲ ਅਨੰਦੁ ਕੀਆ ਪਰਮੇਸਰਿ ਅਪਣਾ ਬਿਰਦੁ ਸਮ੍ਹ੍ਹਾਰਿਆ ॥
Sagal anand kī▫ā parmesar apṇā biraḏ samĥāri▫a.
The Transcendent Lord has brought bliss to all; He has confirmed His Natural Way.

ਸਾਧ ਜਨਾ ਹੋਏ ਕਿਰਪਾਲਾ ਬਿਗਸੇ ਸਭਿ ਪਰਵਾਰਿਆ ॥੧॥
Sāḏẖ janā ho▫e kirpālā bigse sabẖ parvāri▫ā. ||1||
He has become Merciful to the humble, holy Saints, and all my relatives blossom forth in joy. ||1||

ਕਾਰਜੁ ਸਤਿਗੁਰਿ ਆਪਿ ਸਵਾਰਿਆ ॥
Kāraj saṯgur āp savāri▫ā.
The True Guru Himself has resolved my affairs.

ਵਡੀ ਆਰਜਾ ਹਰਿ ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਕੀ ਸੂਖ ਮੰਗਲ ਕਲਿਆਣ ਬੀਚਾਰਿਆ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
vadī ārjā har gobinḏ kī sūkẖ mangal kali▫āṇ bīcẖāri▫ā. ||1|| rahā▫o.
He has blessed Hargobind with long life, and taken care of my comfort, happiness and well-being. ||1||Pause||

ਵਣ ਤ੍ਰਿਣ ਤ੍ਰਿਭਵਣ ਹਰਿਆ ਹੋਏ ਸਗਲੇ ਜੀਅ ਸਾਧਾਰਿਆ ॥ आ ॥
vaṇ ṯariṇ ṯaribẖavaṇ hari▫ā ho▫e sagle jī▫a sāḏẖāri▫ā.
The forests, meadows and the three worlds have blossomed forth in greenery; He gives His Support to all beings.

ਮਨ ਇਛੇ ਨਾਨਕ ਫਲ ਪਾਏ ਪੂਰਨ ਇਛ ਪੁਜਾਰਿਆ ॥੨॥੫॥੨੩॥
Man icẖẖe Nānak fal pā▫e pūran icẖẖ pujāri▫ā. ||2||5||23||
Nanak has obtained the fruits of his mind's desires; his desires are totally fulfilled. ||2||5||23||

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
I have found that some Sikh Sites seem to be confused and then further confuse others .( http://www.sikh-history.com/sikhhist/gurus/nanak6.html)
Look at this...in one article it says.: Guru Hargobind (1606 - 1644)..
Guru Hargobind ji (1606-1644)

and in a second article on the same site it says: Guru hargobind ( 1595-1644)
Guru Hargobind (1595-1644)

To those who know..the date 1595 is the BIRTH date of Guru hargobind Sahib Ji and the second date 1606 is the date of His Installation on the Gurgadee of the House of nanak after the death of Guru Arjun Ji sahib.
But the way the two are used make for a confusion....we must make a choice...because we Sikhs do celebrate the Natural BIRTHs of our Gurus as Gurpurabs and also celebrate the GURGADEE Dates BUT a clear distinction must be made as two dates in brackets almost always are accepted as BIRTH/AGE indicators.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM