• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Guru Granth Darpan By Professor Sahib Singh (A Brief Guide)

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Darpan: http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/guru-granth-darpan/

Brief description: Guru Granth Darpan is a monumental work by the Sikh theologian and grammarian, Professor Sahib Singh. The work serves as both a dictionary and an "exegesis" (explanation) of each and every shabad of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. Guru Granth Darpan is organized by raag, by Ang and by shabad, giving the meanings of individual words, the considerations each work requires given the fact that Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is poetry, and insights into important influences on the use and translation of words and shabads. Each section is subdivided into a presentation of the shabad, word definitions, interpretation of passages.

You can access the online Granth Darpan by Professor Sahib Singh at this link.

Siri Guru Granth Sahib Translation in Punjabi by Professor Sahib Singh

I like this one because it has been formatted to make searching for shabads and tuks very efficient.

To beginners: I recommend this version for those who are new to Guru Granth Darpan. Although many versions are available on the Internet, and available as .pdf download files, the copy at this link has format features that help you to navigate through the document. These format features are not always found in other versions on the Internet. Those with more experience take navigation and searching for granted. But not the beginner. You don't want to throw up your hands and run away in frustration.

This famous text is written in Punjabi and Gurmukhi fonts. Sources of confusion for beginners lie in the fact that the Guru Granth Darpan page numbers do not match those of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. This is natural because each of the 1430 pannas of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji and their explanation would take up more than one page each. Therefore the number of pages in Guru Granth Darpan exceeds 1430 and keys to figure out where to go is helpful.

To read this version, you only need three keys:

1) On the landing page/home page there are buttons that group all 1430 pages of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji into smaller groups or chunks. Click on the button for the page group you want. For example 94-113. This will take you directly to the part of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji of interest to you.

2) When you are looking for a particular shabad, scroll until you see a page number in the text. It will look like this (p. xxx). That takes you to the Ang of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji of interest to you.

3) Explanations and word meanings for any single Ang can go on for several pages. Therefore, to find the shabad you want to know more about, look for the text in red font. That gets you right away to the particular shabad you are interested in.​

Now for the story of its author, Professor Sahib Singh

SAHIB SINGH, PROFESSOR (1892-1977), grammarian and theologian, was born on 16 February 1892 in a Hindu family of the village of Phattevali in Sialkot district of undivided Punjab. He was originally named Natthu Ram by his father, Hiranand, who kept a small shop in the village. Soon the family shifted to Tharpal, another village in the same district. As a youth, Natthu Rain was apprenticed to the village Maulawi, Hayat Shah, son of the famous Punjabi poet, Hasham, upon whom his royal patron, Ranjit Sirigh, the Maharaja of the Punjab, had settled a permanent jagir.Winning a scholarship at his middle standard examination, Natthu Ram joined the high school at Pasrur where he received in 1906 the rites of the Khalsa and his new name Sahib Singh. The untimely death of his father made the situation hard for him, yet he managed to plough through first Dyal Sirigh College, Lahore, and then the Government College, Lahore. At the latter, he obtained his bachelor's degree. In 1917, he joined as a lecturer in Sanskrit at Guru Nanak Khalsa College, Gujranwala.

Sahib Sihgh, now commonly known as Professor Sahib Singh, took part in the Gurdwara Reform movement in the twenties of the century. He was appointed joint secretary of the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee in 1921. During this period he suffered jail twice-once during the Guru ka Bagh agitation (1922) and then in the Jaito morcha (1924). In 1927 he returned briefly to his college in Gujranwala which he soon quit to join the Khalsa College at Amritsar. From 1929 to 1952 he remained at Khalsa College producing a succession of learned works and commentaries on the Sikh sacred texts. Retiring from the Khalsa College, Amritsar, after many a long year of unbroken and luminous scholarly work, he became principal of the Shahid Sikh missionary College. He also worked as principal at the Gurmat College, Patiala.

Professor Sahib Singh was known for his erudition and assiduous pursuit of scholarship. Nearly 50 of his works were published between 1927 and 1977. These included exposition of several of the Sikh sacred texts and his monumental 10-volume commentary on Sikh Scripture, Sri Guru Granth Sahib Darpan, published during 1962-64. A most original and earlier work was his Gurbani Viakaran, a textual grammar of the Guru Granth Sahib. No exegetical work since the publication of this book in 1932 has been possible without resort to the fundamental principles enunciated in it, especially those concerning the interpretation of vowel endings in inflexions of nouns and verbs. Sahib Singh made a notable contribution to Punjabi prose through his essays on moral and spiritual themes, religious philosophy and issues in history arid biography.

Sahib Singh's contribution to Sikh studies and Punjabi letters received wide recognition in his own lifetime. The Punjabi Sahitya Akademi, Ludhiana, honoured him in 1970 with a life fellowship, and Punjabi University, Patiala, conferred upon him, in 1971, the degree of Doctor of Literature (honoris causa). Earlier, the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee had made award to him for his Gurbani Viakaran, and the Government of Patiala and East Punjab States Union had honoured him in 1952 marking his services to Punjabi literature.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Note: When we add to this thread keep in mind the objective is to keep understanding close to the minds and hearts of the ordinary seeker. Long before the idea that all are created equal and democracy became the form of government in Western Europe and the new world, Guru Nanak understood. Guru Nanak and Guru Angad did everything in their power to make Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji understandable, accessible, meaningful to the ordinary person. Professor Sahib Singh in his own way continued this tradition. It is no accident that he took part in the Gurdwara Reform movement. Because of his labors, students of the Guru do not need an intellectual elite. Because of his labors, Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is not abstract, difficult to translate in our daily lives. Please, when you add comments, do not go down a different path. So many times in history we have been told that we need special scholars of Sanskrit and/or Vedic scriptures to reveal the true message of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji to us. Professor Sahib was a scholar of Sanskrit and ancient scriptures, yet he took a different approach. Welcome to comments that add and extend the work of the professor.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2007
London
I heard a while ago that Prof Sahib Singh's Darpan was going to be translated into English? Does anyone know about this? Also, doing so would potentially dilute no doubt dependant on "Who" does it if they are associated with a certain group etc.

I think it would be good, as the existing english translations are flawed in places, for example on Srigranth.org you can show the transliteration and also choose with darpan to view, if you understand both languages you find yourself reading two different meanings entirely.

Almost like watching a film with subtitles but you know the original language and they dont match up because the translating language is not flexible enough to explain the original.

swarn bains

Poet
SPNer
Apr 8, 2012
Prof sahib singh did a wonderful job at the time when sikhs did not understand much of sggs. it was the beginning of looking into the sggs. but now in the internet age the minds of scholars who try to translate sggs have changed to point theat they can nit pick guru granth darpan. so it is old and the scholars should look into new thinking and methods

Logical Sikh

Writer
SPNer
Sep 22, 2018
Apo
Prof sahib singh did a wonderful job at the time when sikhs did not understand much of sggs. it was the beginning of looking into the sggs. but now in the internet age the minds of scholars who try to translate sggs have changed to point theat they can nit pick guru granth darpan. so it is old and the scholars should look into new thinking and methods
Apologies Swarn singh ji but the time when "Sikhs did not understand much of sggs" is the time of the Biggest achievements of Sikhi.... There was a time when Sikhs solely released Gurudwaras from the Hands of the people who ruled Half of the Globe, Today, with all the enlightenment Sikhs are having difficulties releasing them from a Single Family's Clutch Hold.
i think you should rephrase your argument...

swarn bains

Poet
SPNer
Apr 8, 2012
this is prof wrote , read it and look into it

Page 1410
ੴ ਸਤਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਕਰਤਾ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਨਿਰਭਉ ਨਿਰਵੈਰੁ
ਅਕਾਲ ਮੂਰਤਿ ਅਜੂਨੀ ਸੈਭੰ ਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ॥
ਸਲੋਕ ਵਾਰਾਂ ਤੇ ਵਧੀਕ ॥
ਮਹਲਾ ੧ ॥ ਉਤੰਗੀ ਪੈਓਹਰੀ ਗਹਿਰੀ ਗੰਭੀਰੀ ॥ ਸਸੁੜਿ ਸੁਹੀਆ ਕਿਵ ਕਰੀ ਨਿਵਣੁ ਨ ਜਾਇ ਥਣੀ ॥ ਗਚੁ ਜਿ ਲਗਾ ਗਿੜਵੜੀ ਸਖੀਏ ਧਉਲਹਰੀ ॥ ਸੇ ਭੀ ਢਹਦੇ ਡਿਠੁ ਮੈ ਮੁੰਧ ਨ ਗਰਬੁ ਥਣੀ ॥੧॥ {ਪੰਨਾ 1410}
ਤੇ = ਤੋਂ। ਸਲੋਕ ਵਾਰਾਂ ਤੇ ਵਧੀਕ = 'ਵਾਰਾਂ' (ਵਿਚ ਦਰਜ ਹੋਣ) ਤੋਂ ਵਧੇ ਹੋਏ ਸਲੋਕ।
ਸ੍ਰੀ ਗੁਰੂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਵਿਚ ਕੁਲ 22 ਵਾਰਾਂ ਹਨ। ਗੁਰੂ ਨਾਨਕ ਦੇਵ ਜੀ ਗੁਰੂ ਅਮਰਦਾਸ ਜੀ ਅਤੇ ਗੁਰੂ ਰਾਮਦਾਸ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਜੀ ਦੀਆਂ ਰਚੀਆਂ 'ਵਾਰਾਂ' ਪਹਿਲਾਂ ਸਿਰਫ਼ 'ਪਉੜੀਆਂ' ਦਾ ਸੰਗ੍ਰਹਿ ਸਨ। ਜਦੋਂ ਗੁਰੂ ਅਰਜਨ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਨੇ ਸਾਰੀ ਬਾਣੀ ਨੂੰ ਰਾਗਾਂ ਅਨੁਸਾਰ ਹੁਣ ਵਾਲੀ ਤਰਤੀਬ ਦਿੱਤੀ, ਤਾਂ ਉਹਨਾਂ ਨੇ 'ਵਾਰ' ਦੀ ਹਰੇਕ 'ਪਉੜੀ' ਦੇ ਨਾਲ ਘੱਟ ਤੋਂ ਘੱਟ ਦੋ ਦੋ ਮਿਲਵੇਂ ਭਾਵ ਵਾਲੇ ਸ਼ਲੋਕ ਦਰਜ ਕਰ ਦਿੱਤੇ। ਜਿਹੜੇ ਸ਼ਲੋਕ ਵਧ ਗਏ, ਉਹ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਨੇ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਗੁਰੂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਜੀ ਦੇ ਅਖ਼ੀਰ ਵਿਚ 'ਸਲੋਕ' ਵਾਰਾਂ ਤੇ ਵਧੀਕ' ਦੇ ਸਿਰ-ਲੇਖ ਹੇਠ ਦਰਜ ਕਰ ਦਿੱਤੇ।
ਪਦ ਅਰਥ: ਉਤੰਗੀ = (उत्तुंग = Lofty, high, tall) ਲੰਮੀ, ਲੰਮੇ ਕੱਦ ਵਾਲੀ। ਪੈਓਹਰੀ = (पयस् = ਦੁੱਧ! पयोधर = ਥਣ) ਥਣਾਂ ਵਾਲੀ, ਭਰ-ਜੁਆਨੀ ਤੇ ਅੱਪੜੀ ਹੋਈ। ਗਹਿਰੀ = ਡੂੰਘੀ, ਮਗਨ। ਗੰਭੀਰੀ = ਗੰਭੀਰ ਸੁਭਾਅ ਵਾਲੀ। ਗਹਿਰੀ ਗੰਭੀਰੀ = ਮਾਣ ਵਿਚ ਮੱਤੀ ਹੋਈ, ਮਸਤ ਚਾਲ ਵਾਲੀ। ਸਸੁੜੀ = ਸਸੁੜੀ ਨੂੰ, ਸੱਸ ਨੂੰ। ਸੁਹੀਆ = ਨਮਸਕਾਰ। ਕਿਵ = ਕਿਵੇਂ? ਕਰੀ = ਕਰੀਂ, ਮੈਂ ਕਰਾਂ। ਥਣੀ = ਥਣੀਂ, ਥਣਾਂ ਦੇ ਕਾਰਨ, ਭਰਵੀਂ ਛਾਤੀ ਦੇ ਕਾਰਨ। ਗਚੁ = ਚੂਨੇ ਦਾ ਪਲਸਤਰ। ਜਿ ਧਉਲਹਰੀ = ਜਿਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਧੌਲਰਾਂ ਨੂੰ, ਜਿਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਪੱਕੇ ਮਹਲਾਂ ਨੂੰ। ਗਿੜਵੜੀ ਧਉਲਹਰੀ = ਪਹਾੜਾਂ ਵਰਗੇ ਪੱਕੇ ਮਹੱਲਾਂ ਨੂੰ! ਸਖੀਏ = ਹੇ ਸਖੀ! ਸੇ = ਉਹ (ਬਹੁ-ਵਚਨ) । ਡਿਠੁ = ਡਿੱਠੇ ਹਨ। ਮੁੰਧ = ਹੇ ਮੁੰਧ! (मुग्धा = A young girl attractive by her youthful simplicity) ਹੇ ਭੋਲੀ ਜੁਆਨ ਕੁੜੀਏ! ਨ ਗਰਬੁ = ਅਹੰਕਾਰ ਨਾਹ ਕਰ। ਥਣੀ = ਥਣੀਂ, ਥਣਾਂ ਦੇ ਕਾਰਨ, ਜੁਆਨੀ ਦੇ ਕਾਰਨ।1।
ਅਰਥ: ਉੱਚੇ ਲੰਮੇ ਕੱਦ ਵਾਲੀ, ਭਰ-ਜੁਆਨੀ ਤੇ ਅੱਪੜੀ ਹੋਈ, ਮਾਣ ਵਿਚ ਮੱਤੀ ਹੋਈ ਮਸਤ ਚਾਲ ਵਾਲੀ (ਆਪਣੀ ਸਹੇਲੀ ਨੂੰ ਆਖਦੀ ਹੈ– ਹੇ ਸਹੇਲੀਏ!) ਭਰਵੀਂ ਛਾਤੀ ਦੇ ਕਾਰਨ ਮੈਥੋਂ ਲਿਫ਼ਿਆ ਨਹੀਂ ਜਾਂਦਾ। (ਦੱਸ,) ਮੈਂ (ਆਪਣੀ) ਸੱਸ ਨੂੰ ਨਮਸਕਾਰ ਕਿਵੇਂ ਕਰਾਂ? (ਮੱਥਾ ਕਿਵੇਂ ਟੇਕਾਂ?) । (ਅਗੋਂ ਸਹੇਲੀ ਉੱਤਰ ਦੇਂਦੀ ਹੈ-) ਹੇ ਸਹੇਲੀਏ! (ਇਸ) ਭਰਵੀਂ ਜੁਆਨੀ ਦੇ ਕਾਰਨ ਅਹੰਕਾਰ ਨਾ ਕਰ (ਇਹ ਜੁਆਨੀ ਜਾਂਦਿਆਂ ਚਿਰ ਨਹੀਂ ਲੱਗਣਾ। ਵੇਖ,) ਜਿਹੜੇ ਪਹਾੜਾਂ ਵਰਗੇ ਪੱਕੇ ਮਹੱਲਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਚੂਨੇ ਦਾ ਪਲਸਤਰ ਲੱਗਾ ਹੁੰਦਾ ਸੀ, ਉਹ (ਪੱਕੇ ਮਹੱਲ) ਭੀ ਡਿਗਦੇ ਮੈਂ ਵੇਖ ਲਏ ਹਨ (ਤੇਰੀ ਜੁਆਨੀ ਦੀ ਤਾਂ ਕੋਈ ਪਾਂਇਆਂ ਹੀ ਨਹੀਂ ਹੈ) ।1। baba nanak was not looking at the breast of a tall woman. that means it may have different meaning also

swarn bains

Poet
SPNer
Apr 8, 2012
further to our argument sir. here is page 1430 megh rag by sahib singh
ਖਸਟਮ ਮੇਘ ਰਾਗ ਵੈ ਗਾਵਹਿ ॥ ਪਾਂਚਉ ਸੰਗਿ ਬਰੰਗਨ ਲਾਵਹਿ ॥ ਸੋਰਠਿ ਗੋਂਡ ਮਲਾਰੀ ਧੁਨੀ ॥ ਪੁਨਿ ਗਾਵਹਿ ਆਸਾ ਗੁਨ ਗੁਨੀ ॥ ਊਚੈ ਸੁਰਿ ਸੂਹਉ ਪੁਨਿ ਕੀਨੀ ॥ ਮੇਘ ਰਾਗ ਸਿਉ ਪਾਂਚਉ ਚੀਨੀ ॥੧॥ {ਪੰਨਾ 1430}

ਪਦ ਅਰਥ: ਖਸਟਮ = ਛੇਵਾਂ। ਵੈ = ਉਹ (ਵਿਦਵਾਨ) ਬੰਦੇ। ਗਾਵਹਿ = ਗਾਂਦੇ ਹਨ। ਬਰੰਗਨ = (वरांगना) ਇਸਤ੍ਰੀਆਂ, ਰਾਗਣੀਆਂ। ਪੁਨਿ = ਫਿਰ। ਊਚੈ ਸੁਰਿ = ਉੱਚੀ ਸੁਰ ਨਾਲ। ਸਿਉ = ਸਮੇਤ, ਨਾਲ। ਚੀਨੀ = ਪਛਾਣ ਲਈ।

ਮੇਘ ਰਾਗ ਦੀਆਂ ਰਾਗਣੀਆਂ: ਸੋਰਠਿ, ਗੋਂਡ, ਮਲਾਰੀ, ਆਸਾ, ਸੂਹਉ।

(ਨੋਟ: ਸਿਰੀ ਰਾਗ ਦੇ ਅੱਠ ਪੁੱਤਰਾਂ ਵਿਚ ਭੀ 'ਗੋਂਡ' ਦਾ ਜ਼ਿਕਰ ਆ ਚੁੱਕਾ ਹੈ) ।

ਬੈਰਾਧਰ ਗਜਧਰ ਕੇਦਾਰਾ ॥ ਜਬਲੀਧਰ ਨਟ ਅਉ ਜਲਧਾਰਾ ॥ ਪੁਨਿ ਗਾਵਹਿ ਸੰਕਰ ਅਉ ਸਿਆਮਾ ॥ ਮੇਘ ਰਾਗ ਪੁਤ੍ਰਨ ਕੇ ਨਾਮਾ ॥੧॥ {ਪੰਨਾ 1430}

ਪਦ ਅਰਥ: ਅਉ = ਅਉਰ, ਅਤੇ।

ਮੇਘ ਰਾਗ ਦੇ ਅੱਠ ਪੁੱਤਰਾਂ ਦੇ ਨਾਮ = ਬੈਰਾਧਰ, ਗਜਧਰ, ਕੇਦਾਰਾ, ਜਬਲੀਧਰ, ਨਟ, ਜਲਧਾਰਾ, ਸੰਕਰ, ਸਿਆਮਾ।

(ਨੋਟ: ਜਿੱਥੇ ਜਿੱਥੇ ਭੀ ਕੋਈ 'ਬੰਦ' ਮੁਕਾਇਆ ਹੈ, ਹਰ ਥਾਂ 'ਅੰਕ 1' ਹੀ ਵਰਤਿਆ ਹੈ। ਸ੍ਰੀ ਗੁਰੂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਦੀ ਬਾਣੀ ਵਿਚ ਅੰਕਾਂ ਦੀ ਕਿਤੇ ਭੀ ਇਹ ਵਿਓਂਤ ਨਹੀਂ ਹੈ। ਹਰ ਥਾਂ 'ਅੰਕ 1' ਦਾ ਲਿਖਿਆ ਜਾਣਾ ਅੰਕਾਂ ਬਾਰੇ ਪਾਠਕ ਦੀ ਕੋਈ ਸਹਾਇਤਾ ਨਹੀਂ ਕਰਦਾ) ।

ਖਸਟ ਰਾਗ ਉਨਿ ਗਾਏ ਸੰਗਿ ਰਾਗਨੀ ਤੀਸ ॥ ਸਭੈ ਪੁਤ੍ਰ ਰਾਗੰਨ ਕੇ ਅਠਾਰਹ ਦਸ ਬੀਸ ॥੧॥੧॥ {ਪੰਨਾ 1430}

ਪਟ ਅਰਥ: ਖਸਟ = ਛੇ। ਉਨਿ = ਉਹਨਾਂ ਨੇ । ਅਠਾਰਹ ਦਸ ਬੀਸ = 18+10+20=48.
wh are those 48 sons of God. do you read the entire sggs or just answering the questions raised by some one else. i will send you the entire rag mala by prof sahib singh and swarn bains compare it and then tell me. your observation. or send me some of his translation , i will compare with mine and argue with you. he who reads and analises the entire sggs has the right to discus or argue. sahib singh translated the sggs from the brain, though sggs is written from the mind. check it and let me know whether you think on your own or sy what sahib singh said. sorry for the illogical words used. i will give the meaning from the mind of page 1410 what baba says to a tall woman with ਭਰਮੀ ਛਾਤੀ ਜਾਂ ਕੁਝ ਹੋਰ

Logical Sikh

Writer
SPNer
Sep 22, 2018
Ve
further to our argument sir. here is page 1430 megh rag by sahib singh
ਖਸਟਮ ਮੇਘ ਰਾਗ ਵੈ ਗਾਵਹਿ ॥ ਪਾਂਚਉ ਸੰਗਿ ਬਰੰਗਨ ਲਾਵਹਿ ॥ ਸੋਰਠਿ ਗੋਂਡ ਮਲਾਰੀ ਧੁਨੀ ॥ ਪੁਨਿ ਗਾਵਹਿ ਆਸਾ ਗੁਨ ਗੁਨੀ ॥ ਊਚੈ ਸੁਰਿ ਸੂਹਉ ਪੁਨਿ ਕੀਨੀ ॥ ਮੇਘ ਰਾਗ ਸਿਉ ਪਾਂਚਉ ਚੀਨੀ ॥੧॥ {ਪੰਨਾ 1430}

ਪਦ ਅਰਥ: ਖਸਟਮ = ਛੇਵਾਂ। ਵੈ = ਉਹ (ਵਿਦਵਾਨ) ਬੰਦੇ। ਗਾਵਹਿ = ਗਾਂਦੇ ਹਨ। ਬਰੰਗਨ = (वरांगना) ਇਸਤ੍ਰੀਆਂ, ਰਾਗਣੀਆਂ। ਪੁਨਿ = ਫਿਰ। ਊਚੈ ਸੁਰਿ = ਉੱਚੀ ਸੁਰ ਨਾਲ। ਸਿਉ = ਸਮੇਤ, ਨਾਲ। ਚੀਨੀ = ਪਛਾਣ ਲਈ।

ਮੇਘ ਰਾਗ ਦੀਆਂ ਰਾਗਣੀਆਂ: ਸੋਰਠਿ, ਗੋਂਡ, ਮਲਾਰੀ, ਆਸਾ, ਸੂਹਉ।

(ਨੋਟ: ਸਿਰੀ ਰਾਗ ਦੇ ਅੱਠ ਪੁੱਤਰਾਂ ਵਿਚ ਭੀ 'ਗੋਂਡ' ਦਾ ਜ਼ਿਕਰ ਆ ਚੁੱਕਾ ਹੈ) ।

ਬੈਰਾਧਰ ਗਜਧਰ ਕੇਦਾਰਾ ॥ ਜਬਲੀਧਰ ਨਟ ਅਉ ਜਲਧਾਰਾ ॥ ਪੁਨਿ ਗਾਵਹਿ ਸੰਕਰ ਅਉ ਸਿਆਮਾ ॥ ਮੇਘ ਰਾਗ ਪੁਤ੍ਰਨ ਕੇ ਨਾਮਾ ॥੧॥ {ਪੰਨਾ 1430}

ਪਦ ਅਰਥ: ਅਉ = ਅਉਰ, ਅਤੇ।

ਮੇਘ ਰਾਗ ਦੇ ਅੱਠ ਪੁੱਤਰਾਂ ਦੇ ਨਾਮ = ਬੈਰਾਧਰ, ਗਜਧਰ, ਕੇਦਾਰਾ, ਜਬਲੀਧਰ, ਨਟ, ਜਲਧਾਰਾ, ਸੰਕਰ, ਸਿਆਮਾ।

(ਨੋਟ: ਜਿੱਥੇ ਜਿੱਥੇ ਭੀ ਕੋਈ 'ਬੰਦ' ਮੁਕਾਇਆ ਹੈ, ਹਰ ਥਾਂ 'ਅੰਕ 1' ਹੀ ਵਰਤਿਆ ਹੈ। ਸ੍ਰੀ ਗੁਰੂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਦੀ ਬਾਣੀ ਵਿਚ ਅੰਕਾਂ ਦੀ ਕਿਤੇ ਭੀ ਇਹ ਵਿਓਂਤ ਨਹੀਂ ਹੈ। ਹਰ ਥਾਂ 'ਅੰਕ 1' ਦਾ ਲਿਖਿਆ ਜਾਣਾ ਅੰਕਾਂ ਬਾਰੇ ਪਾਠਕ ਦੀ ਕੋਈ ਸਹਾਇਤਾ ਨਹੀਂ ਕਰਦਾ) ।

ਖਸਟ ਰਾਗ ਉਨਿ ਗਾਏ ਸੰਗਿ ਰਾਗਨੀ ਤੀਸ ॥ ਸਭੈ ਪੁਤ੍ਰ ਰਾਗੰਨ ਕੇ ਅਠਾਰਹ ਦਸ ਬੀਸ ॥੧॥੧॥ {ਪੰਨਾ 1430}

ਪਟ ਅਰਥ: ਖਸਟ = ਛੇ। ਉਨਿ = ਉਹਨਾਂ ਨੇ । ਅਠਾਰਹ ਦਸ ਬੀਸ = 18+10+20=48.
wh are those 48 sons of God. do you read the entire sggs or just answering the questions raised by some one else. i will send you the entire rag mala by prof sahib singh and swarn bains compare it and then tell me. your observation. or send me some of his translation , i will compare with mine and argue with you. he who reads and analises the entire sggs has the right to discus or argue. sahib singh translated the sggs from the brain, though sggs is written from the mind. check it and let me know whether you think on your own or sy what sahib singh said. sorry for the illogical words used. i will give the meaning from the mind of page 1410 what baba says to a tall woman with ਭਰਮੀ ਛਾਤੀ ਜਾਂ ਕੁਝ ਹੋਰ
Brother, when you read Prof. Sahib Singh's Ragmala, it can be seen that he is only translating whatever he is reading and He is not himself fully convinced and he doesn't give his opinion about its authenticity or anything....
Hence he writes note at the end :

"ਨੋਟ: ਪਾਠਕਾਂ ਵਾਸਤੇ ਇਹ ਹੈਰਾਨੀ ਵਾਲੀ ਗੱਲ ਹੀ ਹੋਵੇਗੀ ਕਿ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਗੁਰੂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਵਿਚ ਵਰਤੇ ਕੁਝ ਰਾਗ ਇਸ 'ਰਾਗ ਮਾਲਾ' ਵਿਚ ਨਹੀਂ ਹਨ। ਹੋਰ ਬਥੇਰੇ ਰਾਗਾਂ ਦਾ ਜ਼ਿਕਰ ਹੈ ਜੋ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਗੁਰੂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਵਿਚ ਨਹੀਂ ਹਨ।"

Logical Sikh

Writer
SPNer
Sep 22, 2018
this is prof wrote , read it and look into it

Page 1410
ੴ ਸਤਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਕਰਤਾ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਨਿਰਭਉ ਨਿਰਵੈਰੁ
ਅਕਾਲ ਮੂਰਤਿ ਅਜੂਨੀ ਸੈਭੰ ਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ॥
ਸਲੋਕ ਵਾਰਾਂ ਤੇ ਵਧੀਕ ॥
ਮਹਲਾ ੧ ॥ ਉਤੰਗੀ ਪੈਓਹਰੀ ਗਹਿਰੀ ਗੰਭੀਰੀ ॥ ਸਸੁੜਿ ਸੁਹੀਆ ਕਿਵ ਕਰੀ ਨਿਵਣੁ ਨ ਜਾਇ ਥਣੀ ॥ ਗਚੁ ਜਿ ਲਗਾ ਗਿੜਵੜੀ ਸਖੀਏ ਧਉਲਹਰੀ ॥ ਸੇ ਭੀ ਢਹਦੇ ਡਿਠੁ ਮੈ ਮੁੰਧ ਨ ਗਰਬੁ ਥਣੀ ॥੧॥ {ਪੰਨਾ 1410}
ਤੇ = ਤੋਂ। ਸਲੋਕ ਵਾਰਾਂ ਤੇ ਵਧੀਕ = 'ਵਾਰਾਂ' (ਵਿਚ ਦਰਜ ਹੋਣ) ਤੋਂ ਵਧੇ ਹੋਏ ਸਲੋਕ।
ਸ੍ਰੀ ਗੁਰੂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਵਿਚ ਕੁਲ 22 ਵਾਰਾਂ ਹਨ। ਗੁਰੂ ਨਾਨਕ ਦੇਵ ਜੀ ਗੁਰੂ ਅਮਰਦਾਸ ਜੀ ਅਤੇ ਗੁਰੂ ਰਾਮਦਾਸ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਜੀ ਦੀਆਂ ਰਚੀਆਂ 'ਵਾਰਾਂ' ਪਹਿਲਾਂ ਸਿਰਫ਼ 'ਪਉੜੀਆਂ' ਦਾ ਸੰਗ੍ਰਹਿ ਸਨ। ਜਦੋਂ ਗੁਰੂ ਅਰਜਨ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਨੇ ਸਾਰੀ ਬਾਣੀ ਨੂੰ ਰਾਗਾਂ ਅਨੁਸਾਰ ਹੁਣ ਵਾਲੀ ਤਰਤੀਬ ਦਿੱਤੀ, ਤਾਂ ਉਹਨਾਂ ਨੇ 'ਵਾਰ' ਦੀ ਹਰੇਕ 'ਪਉੜੀ' ਦੇ ਨਾਲ ਘੱਟ ਤੋਂ ਘੱਟ ਦੋ ਦੋ ਮਿਲਵੇਂ ਭਾਵ ਵਾਲੇ ਸ਼ਲੋਕ ਦਰਜ ਕਰ ਦਿੱਤੇ। ਜਿਹੜੇ ਸ਼ਲੋਕ ਵਧ ਗਏ, ਉਹ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਨੇ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਗੁਰੂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਜੀ ਦੇ ਅਖ਼ੀਰ ਵਿਚ 'ਸਲੋਕ' ਵਾਰਾਂ ਤੇ ਵਧੀਕ' ਦੇ ਸਿਰ-ਲੇਖ ਹੇਠ ਦਰਜ ਕਰ ਦਿੱਤੇ।
ਪਦ ਅਰਥ: ਉਤੰਗੀ = (उत्तुंग = Lofty, high, tall) ਲੰਮੀ, ਲੰਮੇ ਕੱਦ ਵਾਲੀ। ਪੈਓਹਰੀ = (पयस् = ਦੁੱਧ! पयोधर = ਥਣ) ਥਣਾਂ ਵਾਲੀ, ਭਰ-ਜੁਆਨੀ ਤੇ ਅੱਪੜੀ ਹੋਈ। ਗਹਿਰੀ = ਡੂੰਘੀ, ਮਗਨ। ਗੰਭੀਰੀ = ਗੰਭੀਰ ਸੁਭਾਅ ਵਾਲੀ। ਗਹਿਰੀ ਗੰਭੀਰੀ = ਮਾਣ ਵਿਚ ਮੱਤੀ ਹੋਈ, ਮਸਤ ਚਾਲ ਵਾਲੀ। ਸਸੁੜੀ = ਸਸੁੜੀ ਨੂੰ, ਸੱਸ ਨੂੰ। ਸੁਹੀਆ = ਨਮਸਕਾਰ। ਕਿਵ = ਕਿਵੇਂ? ਕਰੀ = ਕਰੀਂ, ਮੈਂ ਕਰਾਂ। ਥਣੀ = ਥਣੀਂ, ਥਣਾਂ ਦੇ ਕਾਰਨ, ਭਰਵੀਂ ਛਾਤੀ ਦੇ ਕਾਰਨ। ਗਚੁ = ਚੂਨੇ ਦਾ ਪਲਸਤਰ। ਜਿ ਧਉਲਹਰੀ = ਜਿਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਧੌਲਰਾਂ ਨੂੰ, ਜਿਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਪੱਕੇ ਮਹਲਾਂ ਨੂੰ। ਗਿੜਵੜੀ ਧਉਲਹਰੀ = ਪਹਾੜਾਂ ਵਰਗੇ ਪੱਕੇ ਮਹੱਲਾਂ ਨੂੰ! ਸਖੀਏ = ਹੇ ਸਖੀ! ਸੇ = ਉਹ (ਬਹੁ-ਵਚਨ) । ਡਿਠੁ = ਡਿੱਠੇ ਹਨ। ਮੁੰਧ = ਹੇ ਮੁੰਧ! (मुग्धा = A young girl attractive by her youthful simplicity) ਹੇ ਭੋਲੀ ਜੁਆਨ ਕੁੜੀਏ! ਨ ਗਰਬੁ = ਅਹੰਕਾਰ ਨਾਹ ਕਰ। ਥਣੀ = ਥਣੀਂ, ਥਣਾਂ ਦੇ ਕਾਰਨ, ਜੁਆਨੀ ਦੇ ਕਾਰਨ।1।
ਅਰਥ: ਉੱਚੇ ਲੰਮੇ ਕੱਦ ਵਾਲੀ, ਭਰ-ਜੁਆਨੀ ਤੇ ਅੱਪੜੀ ਹੋਈ, ਮਾਣ ਵਿਚ ਮੱਤੀ ਹੋਈ ਮਸਤ ਚਾਲ ਵਾਲੀ (ਆਪਣੀ ਸਹੇਲੀ ਨੂੰ ਆਖਦੀ ਹੈ– ਹੇ ਸਹੇਲੀਏ!) ਭਰਵੀਂ ਛਾਤੀ ਦੇ ਕਾਰਨ ਮੈਥੋਂ ਲਿਫ਼ਿਆ ਨਹੀਂ ਜਾਂਦਾ। (ਦੱਸ,) ਮੈਂ (ਆਪਣੀ) ਸੱਸ ਨੂੰ ਨਮਸਕਾਰ ਕਿਵੇਂ ਕਰਾਂ? (ਮੱਥਾ ਕਿਵੇਂ ਟੇਕਾਂ?) । (ਅਗੋਂ ਸਹੇਲੀ ਉੱਤਰ ਦੇਂਦੀ ਹੈ-) ਹੇ ਸਹੇਲੀਏ! (ਇਸ) ਭਰਵੀਂ ਜੁਆਨੀ ਦੇ ਕਾਰਨ ਅਹੰਕਾਰ ਨਾ ਕਰ (ਇਹ ਜੁਆਨੀ ਜਾਂਦਿਆਂ ਚਿਰ ਨਹੀਂ ਲੱਗਣਾ। ਵੇਖ,) ਜਿਹੜੇ ਪਹਾੜਾਂ ਵਰਗੇ ਪੱਕੇ ਮਹੱਲਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਚੂਨੇ ਦਾ ਪਲਸਤਰ ਲੱਗਾ ਹੁੰਦਾ ਸੀ, ਉਹ (ਪੱਕੇ ਮਹੱਲ) ਭੀ ਡਿਗਦੇ ਮੈਂ ਵੇਖ ਲਏ ਹਨ (ਤੇਰੀ ਜੁਆਨੀ ਦੀ ਤਾਂ ਕੋਈ ਪਾਂਇਆਂ ਹੀ ਨਹੀਂ ਹੈ) ।1। baba nanak was not looking at the breast of a tall woman. that means it may have different meaning also
Ofcourse baba nanak is only telling a "Vaar", pls give link to different interpretation...

( On the other Hand, i don't think I'm qualified enough to discuss on Prof. Sahib singh's thesis veerji, so I cannot argue there even if i wanted to....)

Last edited:

swarn bains

Poet
SPNer
Apr 8, 2012
Page 1410

ੴ ਸਤਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਕਰਤਾ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਨਿਰਭਉ ਨਿਰਵੈਰੁ ਅਕਾਲ ਮੂਰਤਿ ਅਜੂਨੀ ਸੈਭੰ ਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ॥

There is one God. It is true. He is the Creator. He is fearless, enemyless, immortal, beyond birth, self existent, realized by guru’s grace

ਸਲੋਕ ਵਾਰਾਂ ਤੇ ਵਧੀਕ Hymns of tune of Vaar and others

ਮਹਲਾ ੧ ॥ First Mahalla:

ਉਤੰਗੀ ਪੈਓਹਰੀ ਗਹਿਰੀ ਗੰਭੀਰੀ ॥

O proud, youthful, self centered and out of control bride.

ਸਸੁੜਿ ਸੁਹੀਆ ਕਿਵ ਕਰੀ ਨਿਵਣੁ ਨ ਜਾਇ ਥਣੀ ॥

How can you be respectful to your mother in law if you are not humble?

ਗਚੁ ਜਿ ਲਗਾ ਗਿੜਵੜੀ ਸਖੀਏ ਧਉਲਹਰੀ ॥

O sister, those painted mansions built as high as mountains.

ਸੇ ਭੀ ਢਹਦੇ ਡਿਠੁ ਮੈ ਮੁੰਧ ਨ ਗਰਬੁ ਥਣੀ ॥੧॥

I saw them fall O bride, do not be proud? ||1||

ਸੁਣਿ ਮੁੰਧੇ ਹਰਣਾਖੀਏ ਗੂੜਾ ਵੈਣੁ ਅਪਾਰੁ ॥

O bride with deer-like eyes, listen to the words of infinite wisdom.

ਪਹਿਲਾ ਵਸਤੁ ਸਿਞਾਣਿ ਕੈ ਤਾਂ ਕੀਚੈ ਵਾਪਾਰੁ ॥

First, check the merchandise, and then buy it.

ਦੋਹੀ ਦਿਚੈ ਦੁਰਜਨਾ ਮਿਤ੍ਰਾਂ ਕੂੰ ਜੈਕਾਰੁ ॥

Do not associate with evil but honor and celebrate the friends.

swarn bains

Poet
SPNer
Apr 8, 2012
it is mine word ਥਣੀ ਦਾ ਮਤਲਬ ਹੈ (ਹੈ) or is thank for your comments. there are many more places that his translation is very contradictory. but if needed it can be produced. thanks

Logical Sikh

Writer
SPNer
Sep 22, 2018
A
Page 1410

ੴ ਸਤਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਕਰਤਾ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਨਿਰਭਉ ਨਿਰਵੈਰੁ ਅਕਾਲ ਮੂਰਤਿ ਅਜੂਨੀ ਸੈਭੰ ਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ॥

There is one God. It is true. He is the Creator. He is fearless, enemyless, immortal, beyond birth, self existent, realized by guru’s grace

ਸਲੋਕ ਵਾਰਾਂ ਤੇ ਵਧੀਕ Hymns of tune of Vaar and others

ਮਹਲਾ ੧ ॥ First Mahalla:

ਉਤੰਗੀ ਪੈਓਹਰੀ ਗਹਿਰੀ ਗੰਭੀਰੀ ॥

O proud, youthful, self centered and out of control bride.

ਸਸੁੜਿ ਸੁਹੀਆ ਕਿਵ ਕਰੀ ਨਿਵਣੁ ਨ ਜਾਇ ਥਣੀ ॥

How can you be respectful to your mother in law if you are not humble?

ਗਚੁ ਜਿ ਲਗਾ ਗਿੜਵੜੀ ਸਖੀਏ ਧਉਲਹਰੀ ॥

O sister, those painted mansions built as high as mountains.

ਸੇ ਭੀ ਢਹਦੇ ਡਿਠੁ ਮੈ ਮੁੰਧ ਨ ਗਰਬੁ ਥਣੀ ॥੧॥

I saw them fall O bride, do not be proud? ||1||

ਸੁਣਿ ਮੁੰਧੇ ਹਰਣਾਖੀਏ ਗੂੜਾ ਵੈਣੁ ਅਪਾਰੁ ॥

O bride with deer-like eyes, listen to the words of infinite wisdom.

ਪਹਿਲਾ ਵਸਤੁ ਸਿਞਾਣਿ ਕੈ ਤਾਂ ਕੀਚੈ ਵਾਪਾਰੁ ॥

First, check the merchandise, and then buy it.

ਦੋਹੀ ਦਿਚੈ ਦੁਰਜਨਾ ਮਿਤ੍ਰਾਂ ਕੂੰ ਜੈਕਾਰੁ ॥

Do not associate with evil but honor and celebrate the friends.
Appreciate this,
But word "ਥਣ/ਥਣੀ" comes a few times in SGGS, and at all places it has been used for "teet", why should its translation be any different here ?

swarn bains

Poet
SPNer
Apr 8, 2012
different people have different meaning. ਥਣੀ is used for hai in the border of sangroor and haryana
tell me where in sggs it is coming and send it to me. i will explain it to you. i do not want to spend time on it on my own

swarn bains

Poet
SPNer
Apr 8, 2012
Ragmala is a masterpiece written by guru arjan dev jee not alam
i put here my translation f it. if you need further clarification i will diwcus
ੴ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ॥

There is one God. He is realized by guru’s grace.

ਰਾਗ ਏਕ ਸੰਗਿ ਪੰਚ ਬਰੰਗਨ ॥ਸੰਗਿ ਅਲਾਪਹਿ ਆਠਉ ਨੰਦਨ ॥

There is one tune (God). The whole world sings His

praise in classical Tunes in the group of five;

ਪ੍ਰਥਮ ਰਾਗ ਭੈਰਉ ਵੈ ਕਰਹੀ ॥

The first major tune is Raag Bhairao (Devotee’s tune).

Page 1430

ਪੰਚ ਰਾਗਨੀ ਸੰਗਿ ਉਚਰਹੀ ॥

It sings the praise of God in a group of five including other sub tunes.

ਪ੍ਰਥਮ ਭੈਰਵੀ ਬਿਲਾਵਲੀ ॥

First sub tunes in the group is Bhairavee, and Bilaavalee;

ਪੁੰਨਿਆਕੀ ਗਾਵਹਿ ਬੰਗਲੀ ॥

Your praises are sung in melodious tunes.

ਪੁਨਿ ਅਸਲੇਖੀ ਕੀ ਭਈ ਬਾਰੀ ॥

Then comes the turn of other truthful tunes;

ਏ ਭੈਰਉ ਕੀ ਪਾਚਉ ਨਾਰੀ ॥

These are the five tunes of major tune Bhairao.

ਪੰਚਮ ਹਰਖ ਦਿਸਾਖ ਸੁਨਾਵਹਿ ॥

All five sing Your praises joyfully in godly tunes.

ਬੰਗਾਲਮ ਮਧੁ ਮਾਧਵ ਗਾਵਹਿ ॥੧॥

Singing your praises in beautiful tunes full of melody; ||1||

ਲਲਤ ਬਿਲਾਵਲ ਗਾਵਹੀ ਅਪੁਨੀ ਅਪੁਨੀ ਭਾਂਤਿ

Tunes Lalat and Bilaaval - each have their own melody.

ਅਸਟ ਪੁਤ੍ਰ ਭੈਰਵ ਕੇ ਗਾਵਹਿ ਗਾਇਨ ਪਾਤ੍ਰ ॥੧॥

Everyone is the son of Bhairav (God). Sings your praise with devotion! ||1||

ਦੁਤੀਆ ਮਾਲਕਉਸਕ ਆਲਾਪਹਿ ॥ਸੰਗਿ ਰਾਗਨੀ ਪਾਚਉ ਥਾਪਹਿ ॥

Second major tune is Maalakausak (Acquired knowledge)

also sing Your praises in the group of five tunes!

ਗੋਂਡਕਰੀ ਅਰੁ ਦੇਵਗੰਧਾਰੀ ॥ਗੰਧਾਰੀ ਸੀਹੁਤੀ ਉਚਾਰੀ ॥

Gondakaree and Dev Gandhaaree sing Your praises in loud voice.

ਧਨਾਸਰੀ ਏ ਪਾਚਉ ਗਾਈ ॥ਮਾਲ ਰਾਗ ਕਉਸਕ ਸੰਗਿ ਲਾਈ ॥

Including Dhanaasaree and maal raag in the group of Maalakausak;

ਮਾਰੂ ਮਸਤਅੰਗ ਮੇਵਾਰਾ ॥ਪ੍ਰਬਲਚੰਡ ਕਉਸਕ ਉਭਾਰਾ ॥

Maaroo tune is devotional tune of Maiwar sung emotionally in the group.

ਖਉਖਟ ਅਉ ਭਉਰਾਨਦ ਗਾਏ ॥ਅਸਟ ਮਾਲਕਉਸਕ ਸੰਗਿ ਲਾਏ ॥੧॥

The devotional singers sing their best. Every

one is the son of Maalakausak (God). ||1||

ਪੁਨਿ ਆਇਅਉ ਹਿੰਡੋਲੁ ਪੰਚ ਨਾਰਿ ਸੰਗਿ ਅਸਟ ਸੁਤ ॥

Then comes Hindol (joy); all sing Your praises in the group of five.

ਉਠਹਿ ਤਾਨ ਕਲੋਲ ਗਾਇਨ ਤਾਰ ਮਿਲਾਵਹੀ ॥੧॥

They sing in harmony to the best of their ability. ||1||

ਤੇਲੰਗੀ ਦੇਵਕਰੀ ਆਈ ॥ਬਸੰਤੀ ਸੰਦੂਰ ਸੁਹਾਈ ॥

Then, comes Taylangee the music of gods; it is sung

with best attire including saffron on forehead.

ਸਰਸ ਅਹੀਰੀ ਲੈ ਭਾਰਜਾ ॥ਸੰਗਿ ਲਾਈ ਪਾਂਚਉ ਆਰਜਾ ॥

The universe blooms and becomes green O brother;

here also Your praises are sung in the group of five tunes.

ਸੁਰਮਾਨੰਦ ਭਾਸਕਰ ਆਏ ॥ਚੰਦ੍ਬਿੰਬ ਮੰਗਲਨ ਸੁਹਾਏ ॥

The singers come well dressed wearing mascara, scent of

sandalwood on the forehead and wearing the sacred thread.

ਸਰਸਬਾਨ ਅਉ ਆਹਿ ਬਿਨੋਦਾ ॥ਗਾਵਹਿ ਸਰਸ ਬਸੰਤ ਕਮੋਦਾ ॥

The whole atmosphere fills with joy, they sing Your

praises in tune basant with musical instruments.

ਅਸਟ ਪੁਤ੍ਰ ਮੈ ਕਹੇ ਸਵਾਰੀ ॥

God pervades all.

ਪੁਨਿ ਆਈ ਦੀਪਕ ਕੀ ਬਾਰੀ ॥੧॥

Then comes the turn Deepak (enlightenment); ||1||

ਕਛੇਲੀ ਪਟਮੰਜਰੀ ਟੋਡੀ ਕਹੀ ਅਲਾਪਿ ॥

Todee tune is sung with lot of zest in the group of five tunes.

ਕਾਮੋਦੀ ਅਉ ਗੂਜਰੀ ਸੰਗਿ ਦੀਪਕ ਕੇ ਥਾਪਿ ॥੧॥

Goojree tune is sung with musical instruments in the group of major tune Deepak. ||1||

ਕਾਲੰਕਾ ਕੁੰਤਲ ਅਉ ਰਾਮਾ ॥ਕਮਲਕੁਸਮ ਚੰਪਕ ਕੇ ਨਾਮਾ ॥

The ugly the beautiful and devotees of God;

all are the children of the same flower The God.

ਗਉਰਾ ਅਉ ਕਾਨਰਾ ਕਲਿਆਨਾ ॥ ਅਸਟ ਪੁਤ੍ਰ ਦੀਪਕ ਕੇ ਜਾਨਾ ॥੧॥

Tune Gauraa, Kaanaraa and Kaylaanaa; all are the son of Deepak tune (God). ||1||

ਸਭ ਮਿਲਿ ਸਿਰੀਰਾਗ ਵੈ ਗਾਵਹ ॥ਪਾਂਚਉ ਸੰਗਿ ਬਰੰਗਨ ਲਾਵਹਿ ॥

All join and sing Siree Raag (tune to honor God) that also is sung in the group of five.

ਬੈਰਾਰੀ ਕਰਨਾਟੀ ਧਰੀ ॥ਗਵਰੀ ਗਾਵਹਿ ਆਸਾਵਰੀ

Bairaaree is tune of Karnaatka. The Aasaavaree is sung in a simple tune.

ਤਿਹ ਪਾਛੈ ਸਿੰਧਵੀ ਅਲਾਪੀ ॥ਸਿਰੀਰਾਗ ਸਿਉ ਪਾਂਚਉ ਥਾਪੀ ॥੧॥

Then follows tune Sindhavee; It is also part of the group of tune siree Raag. ||1||

ਸਾਲੂ ਸਾਰਗ ਸਾਗਰਾ ਅਉਰ ਗੋਂਡ ਗੰਭੀਰ ॥

Deep tune Saarag is sung in deep devotion and tune Gond is serious.

ਅਸਟ ਪੁਤ੍ਰ ਸ੍ਰੀਰਾਗ ਕੇ ਗੁੰਡ ਕੁੰਭ ਹਮੀਰ ॥੧॥

Everyone is son of Siree Raag (God) whether

named Gund, Kumb or Hameer. ||1||

ਖਸਟਮ ਮੇਘ ਰਾਗ ਵੈ ਗਾਵਹਿ ॥ਪਾਂਚਉ ਸੰਗਿ ਬਰੰਗਨ ਲਾਵਹਿ ॥

The sixth major tune is Maygh Raag. (tune of guru’s grace)

Also sung in the group of five tunes!

ਸੋਰਠਿ ਗੋਂਡ ਮਲਾਰੀ ਧੁਨੀ ॥

The tunes Sorath, Gond, and Malaar are part of Mayagh raag.

ਪੁਨਿ ਗਾਵਹਿ ਆਸਾ ਗੁਨ ਗੁਨੀ ॥

Including Aasaa that is sung in slow rhythm in the head;

ਊਚੈ ਸੁਰਿ ਸੂਹਉ ਪੁਨਿ ਕੀਨੀ ॥ ਮੇਘ ਰਾਗ ਸਿਉ ਪਾਚਉ ਚੀਨੀ ॥੧॥

All sung in devotion loudly and form

part of the group of five the Maygh Raag. ||1||

ਬੈਰਾਧਰ ਗਜਧਰ ਕੇਦਾਰਾ ॥ਜਬਲੀਧਰ ਨਟ ਅਉ ਜਲਧਾਰਾ ॥

The salty land, jungles, the religious shrines, the

land of warriors and the land of rivers;

ਪੁਨਿ ਗਾਵਹਿ ਸੰਕਰ ਅਉ ਸਿਆਮਾ ॥

Everywhere the devotees and the prophets sing Your praises.

ਮੇਘ ਰਾਗ ਪੁਤ੍ਰਨ ਕੇ ਨਾਮਾ ॥੧॥

Those are the names of the sons of Maygh Raag. (God)

ਖਸਟ ਰਾਗ ਉਨਿ ਗਾਏ ਸੰਗਿ ਰਾਗਨੀ ਤੀਸ ॥

Six major tunes have been sung including the sub tunes

totaling thirty in Your admiration. One more added later.

ਸਭੈ ਪੁਤ੍ਰ ਰਾਗੰਨ ਕੇ ਅਠਾਰਹ ਦਸ ਬੀਸ ॥੧॥੧॥

All are sons of the Creator of music (God)

whether eighteen, ten or twenty. ||1||1||

Logical Sikh

Writer
SPNer
Sep 22, 2018
different people have different meaning. ਥਣੀ is used for hai in the border of sangroor and haryana
tell me where in sggs it is coming and send it to me. i will explain it to you. i do not want to spend time on it on my own
If i have to tell you where other places it comes in SGGS ji, then i don't think you've concrete understanding of the context of word ji, and thus i don't think yours translation is superior to Prof. Sahib Singh's (apologies, that is just my personal opinion)

swarn bains

Poet
SPNer
Apr 8, 2012
you have your right, i admire that. i am not highly qualified person especially i do not have gidad parcy. i know where thani comes. it is a sindhi slang. by the way you should also translate sggs. more people do it more explanation is experienced.

Logical Sikh

Writer
SPNer
Sep 22, 2018
you have your right, i admire that. i am not highly qualified person especially i do not have gidad parcy. i know where thani comes. it is a sindhi slang. by the way you should also translate sggs. more people do it more explanation is experienced.
If you know, then you should strengthen your arguement by explaining (not here, in a form of stand alone article) why it should be translated differently here by giving all shabads...

swarn bains

Poet
SPNer
Apr 8, 2012
ਤਵ ਗੁਣ ਕਹਾ ਜਗਤ ਗੁਰਾ, ਜਉ ਕਰਮਨ ਨਾਸੈ
ਓ ਜੱਗ ਦੇ ਗੁਰੂ ਮੈਂ ਤੇਰੇ ਗੁਣ ਗਾਉਂਦਾ ਹਾਂ, ਜੋ ਕਰਮਾਂ ਦਾ ਨਾਸ ਕਰਦੇ ਹਨ

ਸਿੰਘ ਸਰਣ ਕਤ ਜਾਈਐ, ਜਉ ਜੰਬੁਕ ਗ੍ਰਾਸੈ
ਜਿਵੇਂ ਕਿ ਜੇ ਗਿੱੜ ਸ਼ੇਰ ਕੋਲ ਚਲਾ ਜਾਵੇ, ਉਹ ਉਹਨੂੰ ਖਾ ਜਾਦਾ ਹੈ

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM