• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Interfaith Guru Gobind Singh Ji's 52 Hukkams

namritanevaeh

Writer
SPNer
Oct 14, 2012
Surrey, Canada
Guru Gobind Singh ji gave 52 hukkams (one about learning about other faiths, see below). While I see people dissing other Sikhs for cutting their hair or for having sex or drinking, I see very few people who are completely “holy” when it comes to all of these 52, and it seems hypocritical to me to be looking down your nose on someone else for not following all 52 when “you yourself” don’t.
“Istree da mooh nahee phitkaarnaa|
Do not subject your wife to cursing, or verbal abuse.”

How often do we hear of Sikh families with abuse? About just as often as any other family. In other words it happens. You probably know someone it’s happened to. Which means usually you know or have an idea of who was doing it. And sometimes you don’t say anything pretending it’s not your business. But oh if someone has been found out to be having unmarital sex it’s all over the community?!! ::SMH::

“Dhan, javaanee, tae kul jaat da abhiman naee karnaa (Nanak daadak tahe duae goath. Saak guroo Sikhan sang hoath)|
Do not be proud of riches, youthfulness or lineage. (Regardless of maternal and paternal caste or heritage, all of the Guru’s Sikhs are siblings of one family.)”

Many people proudly flaunt their brand new “xyz”. Clothes phone car whatever. Sometimes it’s as “little” as flaunting that you donated more to a specific charity than someone else. It’s still flaunting. (Most of us are guilty of this to an extent).

“Doosrae mataa dae pustak, vidyaa parhnee. Pur bhrosaa drirh Gurbanee, Akaal Purakh tae karnaa|
Study the books and beliefs of other faiths. But maintain trust in Gurbani and Akal Purakh [Undying divine personification].”

Given the small numbers of Sikhs who know of Wicca when I talk about it, and of those who have heard of it most know VERY VERY little about it, I’d say this is most likely the one that fewest Sikhs do. I’d say if you look down your nose at your neighbour who drinks alcohol but knows about Wicca and you know nothing about Wicca but don’t drink? It's rather hypocritical. Like, why would the edicts you decide to follow be more important than the ones someone else follows?(And there are more religions than that one but it’s not a well known one by many Sikhs despite it being relatively popular in North America and Northern Europe…).

“Jhutthi gavaahee nahee daenee|
Do not make false statements.”
Yeah almost everyone has lied in their life.

“Dhroh nahee karnaa|
Do not participate in fraud.”
Some do this a lot. Luckily maybe not many.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: