• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

General Girls In Dastaar

mannii

SPNer
Feb 23, 2011
Many people are against girls in dastaar..... why? here are some of the reasons:
- they think their daughters wont look pretty
- they feel its only for boys
- they think it looks funny
- they believe it will bring discrimination

I personally believe that girls who wear a dastaar are the most beautiful girls ever who represent our religion and look like princesses! I have recently started tying a dastaar and am very fond of it however my family are not that supportive of it and say that I should wear a patka instead or just cover my head with a chuni.
I feel girls in todays generation are being held back from wearing this true identity because they are afraid about the way they will look, also I believe that they are not supported enough.... Im not saying everyone Sikh girl has to wear one but what I am trying to say that not enough girls are tying it out due to lack of support. My mum said to me that the gurus wives didn't wear one so I should just wear a chuni or patka to cover my head.... my dad says its too big and always laughs at me.....
What are your vies on this topic?? ( why didnt the gurus wives/ bibiaa of that time wear one.... is recently that some girls have started wearing one?)
I would like to know other peoples views on this topic.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
mannii I believe it may go back into cultural practices and preferences.

In Punjabi culture there is great admiration and love for, "Girls with long dark flowing hair". It has been considered an aspect of looking beautiful. Are the concepts of external beauty subject to change? Of course and so it all depends on how one carries it. You can look equally beautiful if done right in different persona or appearances. When internal and external are in balance, one looks most wonderful so find that sweet spot.

Sat Sri Akal.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
:yippie:

Now is the time to write songs such as "Singh diyan sonian zulfan" and "Poch poch pagan banan Singhnian". japposatnamwaheguru:

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
:yippie:

Now is the time to write songs such as "Singh diyan sonian zulfan" and "Poch poch pagan banan Singhnian". japposatnamwaheguru:
Bhagatsingh ji good to see you back here again after a little respite. I assume study times for you and Caspian ji too.

No kidding about the following,

" .... "Singh diyan sonian zulfan""

I lived at Khalsa College Amritsar for about 8-10 years, way back in time. There used to be annual variety show put up by the students from the college. One skit was about someone sitting behind a white chadar (square cotton cloth like a bed sheet) hung from the stage so you could see the profile though projected light. The theme was a girl going through the motions of combing hair, etc. Everyone (all boys) were quite excited about seeing a female form doing all this. Guess what, at the end, the sheet was dropped and there stood a Handsome sardar! Many a kids/young men were quite disappointed as their fantasies crashed along with the hormone levels lol

Sat Sri akal.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
LOL @ Ambarsaria ji's story! I remember there was a Sikh Park cartoon with a similar idea.

Yes study is going on still. Had a week off (they call it 'study week') so thought I would drop by.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM