• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Giesbrecht Offers Insight Into Sikh Turban

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
I have to agree with Regina Dalton's letter (Turban talk sets her head spinning, Times, Aug. 23). I, too, was disappointed with Ken Herar's column (Keep turban queries respectful, Times, Aug. 18).

We never did find out the answer to a question that many of us have wondered about. I have never taken the time to ask or look it up online, but now I have. This is the answer I found on www.sikhwomen.com which seems quite helpful:

In general, any colour or design is acceptable. Most men and women tend to coordinate the colour of the turban with their outfit and vice versa. Choice of colour may be just as unique as the individual. The turban fabric can be found in almost any colour's shade or hue. For the more creative folks there are various patterns to choose from as well. Although there are some commonly regarded colour preferences for certain occasions, choice of colour may vary.

There aren't any rules regarding what colour or pattern can or cannot be worn.

There a few popular favourites and some commonly practiced norms. For example, orange and navy are traditional Sikh Khalsa colours also worn on days of religious observance or special commemorative events. A shade of pink or red is worn on a special day such as one's wedding, engagement or to celebrate other major events. Many Sikh men and women choose to don a white, off-white or a similar shade daily as part of their beliefs in keeping with the faith. It is also a common colour worn by Eastern Sikhs at events such as a funeral ceremony or any event where a bright colour would not be considered appropriate.

On the other hand, Western Sikhs commonly wear white as part of their daily Sikh garb. Black and navy are more popular with the younger generation and also worn at more formal events such as black tie dinners and parties.

Camouflage pattern is a popular choice among the military personnel. Patriotic patterns also add their own charm.

These are the answers provided by www.sikhnextdoor.org

Q: Does the colour of the turban matter?

A: No. The colour of the turban is based on personal preference. There are hundreds of different colours, even tie-died colours and unique prints.

Q: Do girls and women also wear turbans?

A: Yes. Girls and women have the choice of wearing a turban.

A suggestion to Ken Herar: After questioning the motives behind the question you could have actually provided an answer for us all.

Too bad the opportunity to promote understanding was not used to best advantage.

Colleen Giesbrecht, Abbotsford

Read more: http://www.abbotsfordtimes.com/life...ikh+headwear/5304542/story.html#ixzz1WFtqwftZ

Attachments

• images (1).jpeg
    images (1).jpeg
    17.3 KB · Reads: 360

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM