• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Food For Thought: COURAGE

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Courage
by: Owen Waters - InfiniteBeing.com

Courage is a product of higher purpose. Courage conquers the
fear of pain, of loss of life or the loss of a loved one.
With higher purpose, you gain the power to spring into action
and achieve your mission despite any fear that you may feel.

The conquest of fear is one of the primary reasons for life on
Earth. When you identify with a higher purpose you rise above
the fear. From this, you learn that higher consciousness frees
you from the immobilizing numbness of basic, primeval fear.

Acts of great heroism occur when a person rises above their
own fear for survival and acts to save others from injury and
death. Even those who physically die in the attempt pass on
into the spirit realms with the knowledge of a very valuable
lesson; that higher purpose, a higher state of consciousness,
is the key to overcoming basic fear.

Courage is required to let go of a loved one who has a
terminal illness when it is their time to pass on.

It takes courage to stand up for your beliefs, especially when
they are not widely held.

It takes courage for you to be who you are when you know that
your mission is to be yourself and to express exactly who you
are.

Your inner being has the strength to overcome all obstacles.
Courage springs from communion with your inner self.

simpy

SPNer
Mar 28, 2006
Soul_jyot said:
Courage
by: Owen Waters - InfiniteBeing.com

Courage is a product of higher purpose. Courage conquers the
fear of pain, of loss of life or the loss of a loved one.
With higher purpose, you gain the power to spring into action
and achieve your mission despite any fear that you may feel.

The conquest of fear is one of the primary reasons for life on
Earth. When you identify with a higher purpose you rise above
the fear. From this, you learn that higher consciousness frees
you from the immobilizing numbness of basic, primeval fear.

Acts of great heroism occur when a person rises above their
own fear for survival and acts to save others from injury and
death. Even those who physically die in the attempt pass on
into the spirit realms with the knowledge of a very valuable
lesson; that higher purpose, a higher state of consciousness,
is the key to overcoming basic fear.

Courage is required to let go of a loved one who has a
terminal illness when it is their time to pass on.

It takes courage to stand up for your beliefs, especially when
they are not widely held.

It takes courage for you to be who you are when you know that
your mission is to be yourself and to express exactly who you
are.

Your inner being has the strength to overcome all obstacles.
Courage springs from communion with your inner self.
On the spiritual journey, one reawakens the awareness of the Spiritual power that lies within us. Comunion with God (through Prayer/Naam Simran/Meditation) strengthens the eternal connection with the Divine source of power. It is that connection which is a necessary component to restore the courage (our eternal nature).

Dec 2, 2004
if that is the perception of courage, then you can easily translate it into being hate.

Hate conquers fear or pain, by simply not caring about it anymore. Its no longer a factor to the aim you are trying to achieve.

So i don't think that defines courage, i think courage is something when you are still afraid, you are still scared, but you do it anyway, for that "higher purpose." Courage doesn't conquer fear, and never takes away, it simply means you are facing it. And even if you do succeed, you still a little afraid still, and just hope you don't have to face that fear again any time soon.

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
Dear Elegant Destruction

Welcome to this forum !

Well I see no contradiction in your post and the post above that , to me it is saying the same thing

By conquering something you dont intend to just ignore it but put it under control and priorties you actions

And the above post mainly stress connecting to higher conciousness as I think by doing so nothing else changes in ones life except the viewpoint to see the problems of life so they are still there but dont stop one from doing the appropiate thing .

In other words the above discription of courage is of a some observer outside watching courages act happening and your view point is inner viewpoint of person doing the courageous act .

Jatinder Singh

simpy

SPNer
Mar 28, 2006
Respected Elegant_Destruction Ji,

i think you are giving somewhat negative attitude to Courage.

One does not hate fear or as you perceive from the article, hate it/ignore it; to use the courage to overcome it.

Fear is merely an anticipation of pain (physical/mental/emotional). Above writing is:

Accept what is happening around you with Courage. Even if you are in a situation that has the capacity to bring the shadows of fear in your life, do not let it happen. Rising above the fears does mean that you should move through the fears if you have any and must not turn away and be scared.

Hate cannot conquer fear/pain, as both (fear as well as hate) do not have any roots. In fact hate is a product of fear. Look what is going on around the world today. All started from Fear, as people are controlled by all different kinds of fears and that is generating hatred all around (be it racial, religious or any other type). Fear is said to be the most effective tool in destruction.

Courage is a VIRTUE. It is not merely an empty emotion like fear and pain. Where courage is, fear cannot sustain.

To be courageous, you have to empty the mind of your past and future concerns (worries, anticipations, regrets, jealousies etc.). Spiritual growth helps you to overcome fears and doubts.

Courage is always creative.
Despair is always destructive.

And Guru Sahib Ji Says:

Kaun darey dar kis kaa Hoi…(who is scared and of whome..)

ijs dw swihbu fwFw hoie ]
iqs no mwir n swkY koie ]
swihb kI syvku rhY srxweI ]
Awpy bKsy dy vifAweI ]
iqs qy aUpir nwhI koie ]
kauxu frY fru iks kw hoie ]

One who belongs to the All-powerful Lord and Master
no one can destroy him.
The Lord's servant remains under His protection;
The Lord Himself forgives him, and blesses him with glorious greatness.
There is none higher than Him.
Why should he be afraid? What should he ever fear? SGGS Page: 842 (Source: Sikhitothemax)

What we are scared of when : Toon Karta Sachyaar mainda Sai…

Awsw mhlw 4 ]
qUM krqw sicAwru mYfw sWeI ]
jo qau BwvY soeI QIsI jo qUM dyih soeI hau pweI ]1] rhwau ]
sB qyrI qUM sBnI iDAwieAw ]
ijs no ik®pw krih iqin nwm rqnu pwieAw ]
gurmuiK lwDw mnmuiK gvwieAw ]
quDu Awip ivCoiVAw Awip imlwieAw ]1]
qUM drIAwau sB quJ hI mwih ]
quJ ibnu dUjw koeI nwih ]
jIA jMq siB qyrw Kylu ]
ivjoig imil ivCuiVAw sMjogI mylu ]2]
ijs no qU jwxwieih soeI jnu jwxY ]
hir gux sd hI AwiK vKwxY ]
ijin hir syivAw iqin suKu pwieAw ]
shjy hI hir nwim smwieAw ]3]
qU Awpy krqw qyrw kIAw sBu hoie ]
quDu ibnu dUjw Avru n koie ]
qU kir kir vyKih jwxih soie ]
jn nwnk gurmuiK prgtu hoie ]4]2]

You are the True Creator, my Lord and Master.
Whatever pleases You comes to pass. As You give, so do we receive. ||1||Pause||
All belong to You, all meditate on you.
Those who are blessed with Your Mercy obtain the Jewel of the Naam, the Name of the Lord.
The Gurmukhs obtain it, and the self-willed manmukhs lose it.
You Yourself separate them from Yourself, and You Yourself reunite with them again. ||1||
You are the River of Life; all are within You.
There is no one except You.
All living beings are Your playthings.
The separated ones meet, and by great good fortune, those suffering in separation are reunited once again. ||2||
They alone understand, whom You inspire to understand;
they continually chant and repeat the Lord's Praises.
Those who serve You find peace.
They are intuitively absorbed into the Lord's Name. ||3||
You Yourself are the Creator. Everything that happens is by Your Doing.
There is no one except You.
You created the creation; You behold it and understand it.
O servant Nanak, the Lord is revealed through the Gurmukh, the Living Expression of the Guru's Word. SGGS Page: 11 (Source: Sikhitothemax)

And when Naam is our Counselor What else we need: Har Naavai Naal Gallaan Har Naavai Naal Maslat….

pauVI ]
ijn kY hir nwmu visAw sd ihrdY hir nwmo iqn kMau rKxhwrw ]
hir nwmu ipqw hir nwmo mwqw hir nwmu sKweI imqRü hmwrw ]
hir nwvY nwil glw hir nwvY nwil msliq hir nwmu hmwrI krdw inq swrw ]
hir nwmu hmwrI sMgiq Aiq ipAwrI hir nwmu kulu hir nwmu prvwrw ]
jn nwnk kMau hir nwmu hir guir dIAw hir hliq pliq sdw kry insqwrw ]15]

Those whose hearts are forever filled with the Name of the Lord, have the Name of the Lord as their Protector.
The Lord's Name is my father, the Lord's Name is my mother; the Lord's Name is my helper and friend.
My conversation is with the Lord's Name, and my counseling is with the Lord's Name; the Lord's Name always takes care of me.
The Lord's Name is my most beloved society, the Lord's Name is my ancestry, and the Lord's Name is my family.
The Guru, the Lord Incarnate, has bestowed upon servant Nanak the Name of the Lord; in this world, and in the next, the Lord ever saves me. SGGS Page 592 (Source: Sikhitothemax)

Respected Veer Jatinder Singh Ji,
i totally agree with you on -"By conquering something you dont intend to just ignore it but put it under control and priorties you actions"

The thing i am confused about is: "In other words the above discription of courage is of a some observer outside watching courages act happening and your view point is inner viewpoint of person doing the courageous act ."
Can you please elaborate it for me.

Thanks a lot

Guru Bhala Karey

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
Dear khalsa ji

Sorry for the confusion

I was just trying to make sense of both the views one above and the other od member elegent destruction.

Actually when we face some situation in which we have to be courageous , then definately it come as a challenge to one mind and can also be seen as fear but person with connection to higher counsiousness automatically decided face it as devine blessing whether it bad or good . So a lot happens inside a man doing a courageous act .

But for a observer who he watching from outside a courageous act being done , he just see the beautiful act of courage happening in front of him and apprecitae it with respect as described in above post where courage is serving people, sacrifising , leting loved one goand so on .

Actually when I write i think little and just write what ever comes forth and also I was trying resolve conflict as in my personal experience I have seen that conflict arise out of nothing at some stage of learning you just feel like rejecting everything to find truth but at some stage of your journey you just accept everything so thing re,mains the same but just viewpoint or the way you look at the thing changes

Other cause of my my confusing statement is may be I am not very good at expreesing my thoughts in articular fashion or clearly but I am learning to do it!

Akal Sahai

Jatinder Singh

Dec 2, 2004
I never said anything about courage in the negative. i just said my perception and yours of it is different.

I believe courage, is when your in the greatest of pain, but still doing the right thing anyway.

It doesn't get rid of fear or pain, if anything it heightens it, and makes it more real, nor does it over-comes it, but what it does do, is name something else more important than those emotions, while still feeling them. Courage is to face suffering, pain and fear, and just declare what is right, more important than them.

Hate tends to numb these other emotions, making them unimportant, and thus removing them. courage accepts these emotions, and moves beyond them.

that's the difference.

simpy

SPNer
Mar 28, 2006
Elegant_Destruction said:
I never said anything about courage in the negative. i just said my perception and yours of it is different.

I believe courage, is when your in the greatest of pain, but still doing the right thing anyway.

It doesn't get rid of fear or pain, if anything it heightens it, and makes it more real, nor does it over-comes it, but what it does do, is name something else more important than those emotions, while still feeling them. Courage is to face suffering, pain and fear, and just declare what is right, more important than them.

Hate tends to numb these other emotions, making them unimportant, and thus removing them. courage accepts these emotions, and moves beyond them.

that's the difference.

Respected Elegant_Destruction Ji,

In Simple words:
Fear comes in to play when a person thinks that whatever is happening, will or can cause problems for him/her or someone else, in present or future.

This means that he/she is not accepting God's Will. Once you are in God's Will, how can you have fear for anything. Your will cannot be different than God's Will.

There is no Fear or emotional pain for God loving people. Emotional pain is a product of fear.

There are people in this world who even enjoy the physical pain, as their perception is that, this leads them to remember God more often.

Stay in His Remebrance and Accept His Will, only then you will be able to know what actually courage is.

Action out of fear is not courage, it is a reaction to the situation.

Action out of love is courage, as you are accepting whatever is happening as it is, and this way your kind action in this situation becomes your response to it. Fear has no room for itself in this process.

Dec 8, 2005
I think these are the words of coward.
THe one who delibrates in fear.
Courage knows no bound of reason .
Its roots are in faith that God shall see him in thes moments.

Guess we need to debate it more.

love
hps62:) :star:

Dec 2, 2004
hps62 said:
I think these are the words of coward.
THe one who delibrates in fear.
Courage knows no bound of reason .
Its roots are in faith that God shall see him in thes moments.

Guess we need to debate it more.

love
hps62:) :star:
i'm not sure i like your implication there that i'm a coward.

i am just stating how i define each word, and how one precieves things.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: