• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Flappy Fatkay!

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
Shared by Mai Harinder Kaur Ji!

Whats up with these flappy flappy fatkay!? Cant singhs tie pugs these days?? Is it too difficult or do they feel the need to look like their idols like Slim Shady and Jay Z!

The funniest is when you see a singh with a full dhari (beard) with his joori sitting up on his head like a surprised pigeon with the flappy bits at the back spread out over his shoulders like aeroplane wings!! I mean what it going on?

These guys need to be renamed S.A.P’s which stands for Stoopid Application of Patka!

The only excuse to wear a patka (I like to call them ‘fatkay’, as it sounds stupid as well as looking stupid!) are the following:

you are going to the gym
you are at the gym
you are coming home from the gym

Or any other activity such as sports where a dastar would be too uncomfortable!

“Imagine the scene: its 1740, the hindus and Sikhs are facing persecution, the residents of a village are going to be attacked, they have no hope of defending themselves from the approaching moghul army. They do what they can to get a message to the remaining sikh army, their only hope.

As the day of the attack gets closer the men of the village lock up the women and gather what weapons they have, knowing that taking one or two moguls down with them is all they can hope for! They see the dust cloud rise as the enemy approaches; they brace themselves for a short but hard fought battle! Where are the Sikhs, did they not get the message, maybe the messenger was killed?

But wait what’s that, it looks like people, men, they are armed, I can see blue and saffron, it’s the Sikhs!! At last! We now stand a chance, think the villagers! They are overjoyed! The Sikhs approach closer, their long flowing beards blowing gently in the breeze, there huge horses towering the men as high as the sky, weapons glistening, chiming, ringing the pre war battle! But whats this? Somethings not right! Where are their majestic dastars, the crowns of the gurus lions?? They been replaced by FLAPPY FATKAY!!!! Ah man! These huge soldiers ready to do battle with big diamond shaped jooras and flappy fatkay!! the villagers including the women think sod this and beat up the singhs!”

Stop and think! Visualise the scene.

Its wrong in many ways I know. Yes, I would much rather the singhs of today keep there un-cut hair and wear a fatka then have a ‘short back and sides’. But going to the gurdwara and weddings etc with a flappy fatka is just taking it too far!

And the joora on the back of the head is just wrong too, yes again for sports its understandable, but for your hair to be worn like that everyday-to pretend that you haven’t got a joora is just silly! The blonde down the road wont think you’re cool, she’ll just be thinking that you got some sort of strange elongated head!

The guru gave us this image as a reflection of himself, and whenever we can, we must do our duty to represent our guru. Not just visually but, in our action and mannerism we must do as our guru would in all situations, or at least try. Be proud of who you are and your heritage, many people died for you to have the right to wear a dastar and follow the gurus teachings, don’t let that be in vain.

It seems that the future generation of singhs will not be able to tie dastars as there will be fewer singhs to teach them. If you the reader cant tie a dastar, the next time you go to the gurdwara and see someone wearing a dastar you like the look of, just ask them how to tie it and if they will show you, they will never refuse as it will be very flattering of you to ask them.

A dastar/pug/turban shouldn’t take more then 3 minutes to tie, and once tied is one of the most comfortable things you can wear, if yours hurts or is uncomfortable something’s wrong and maybe you are sacrificing form for style.

Come on guys, stop flapping about and tie a dastar! Do it for yourself and do it for your guru!

http://sikhtalk.blogspot.com/2007/08/flappy-fatkay.html

Attachments

• flappy-fatke.jpg
    flappy-fatke.jpg
    6.1 KB · Reads: 218

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
It is a difficult subject, I personally believe Amanji, Kanwaljitji above love their turbans and hair, and what it means to them, hugely. I do not think you can understand that between men like you, and men like me, lie many men all in different states of enlightenment, some coming towards your side, some coming towards my side, if you both keep your hair because of a deep love of Guru and yourself, to be whole , as Guru intended, then I envy both of you, as you are in place that I am not,.

If however you keep hair out of family pressure, fear, etc, then you have not understood the Gurus message anymore than anyone else, and in my view, you have no right to pass yourself off as a warrior saint.

Maybe those in the middle are being honest with themselves, and waiting for a time when they can present themselves as they feel inside, rather than cutting hair and giving up completely

I have used the words 'men' as this seems to be male issue and problem, but I am sure the principles apply equally to females

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
I was always taught that a boy should start tying turban when he first sprouts visible hair on his face and most certainly by the time he begins to get a beard. Patkas are mostly for kids, except when doing athletics or possibly around the house.

The picture of the Sikh army arriving all in patkas is hilarious! We all know that laughter is a good thing, but who wants to be laughed at in battle? Our Singhs are kings and a king without a crown is a pathetic sight indeed.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
But wait what’s that, it looks like people, men, they are armed, I can see blue and saffron, it’s the Sikhs!! At last! We now stand a chance, think the villagers! They are overjoyed! The Sikhs approach closer, their long flowing beards blowing gently in the breeze, there huge horses towering the men as high as the sky, weapons glistening, chiming, ringing the pre war battle! But whats this? Somethings not right! Where are their majestic dastars, the crowns of the gurus lions?? They been replaced by FLAPPY FATKAY!!!! Ah man! These huge soldiers ready to do battle with big diamond shaped jooras and flappy fatkay!! the villagers including the women think sod this and beat up the singhs!”

The above quote shows that the man believe that if Sikhs in 1740's would have been wearing Patka then they villagers would have been beating them , means there training was useless ,only their Turbans were responsible for them winning wars

610x.jpg

An officer (R) of Indian Air Force (IAF) Special Forces "Garuds" talks with a U.S. Air force "Special Operation Forces" officer during 'Cope-India-09', a joint exercise between the IAF and the U.S. Air Force in the northern Indian city of Agra, October 19, 2009. A six-day joint exercise begins here on Monday.

610x.jpg

The above officer is serving in IAF,thanks to Patka O/W he should had to cut his hair or leave IAF job.

And BTW One of the main reason is why so many urban sikhs have not cut their hair like many in punjab is because of Patka.There are so many occasions where Patka is helpful.

Scarlet Pimpernel

We seek him here,we sikh
Writer
SPNer
May 31, 2011
In the Self
346px-Sikh_helmet.jpg

Warriors of old ,wearing these, won't have been laughed at by villagers,today's warriors are not having their metal tested to the same extent as their forefathers,with a war footing you need metal ,in peace time it just comes down to personal preference or aescetics.

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
kds ji,

Granted there are specialized circumstances when the patka may be mandated.

This article is rightfully objecting to those adult Singhs who choose to wear a patka instead of tying a turban.

Much better a patka than cutting the kesh and much better a turban than a patka on an adult under most circumstances.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
kds ji,

Granted there are specialized circumstances when the patka may be mandated.

This article is rightfully objecting to those adult Singhs who choose to wear a patka instead of tying a turban.

Much better a patka than cutting the kesh and much better a turban than a patka on an adult under most circumstances.

Inderjeet kaur ji

This article is making fun of sikhs who wear Patka.Just look at cartoon the it shows a fat sikh with Patka followed by stupid imagination story that how Sikhs could had been beaten by Villagers if they were wearing Patka
if sikhs will make fun of other sikhs who wear other type of head covering then how is it different from those people who make fun of sardar image?

Patka is headcovering ,how is it different from chhotti dastar? and what about Maya vaali pag which Sardar use as topi (means once tied and then wear again and again).Just because it shows Joora many people find it offensive quite strange

I agree that turbans look smart and wearing Patka is not appropriate for marriage or any other function.

I am sorry but I found this article quite offensive ,if sikhs will make fun of other sikh's image then we have no right to object to non sikhs not to make fun of Turbaned Sikhs

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
I think if a man does decide to keep his kesh, we should not be militantly telling him how to wear it, otherwise where do you draw the line, turban colours, styles, height, thin streamlined ugandan style, strawberry style, its hard enough getting kids interested in hair, I think Aman singhji is correct, but the reality real world answer is better to have a kesh intact than not

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM