• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Canada First Turbaned Sikh Woman In Canadian Navy A Milestone: WSO

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
http://worldsikh.ca/news-release/first-turbaned-sikh-woman-canadian-navy-milestone-wso

NOTE: I feel a little odd posting this, since it's about me! Humbled is more like it...I'm not the type to look for the spotlight haha. p.s. the photo was taken at Khardung La - World's highest motor able road in Ladakh region of Kashmir, India in Sept.

Ottawa (October 29, 2014): The World Sikh Organization of Canada has helped Master Seaman Wanda McDonald become the first Sikh woman to wear the turban while serving in the Royal Canadian Navy (RCN).

McDonald, a Sonar operator based out of Halifax Nova Scotia, joined the RCN in 1997 and became interested in the Sikh faith three years ago. After deciding to become an initiated or amritdhari Sikh, she requested permission to wear the turban on duty.

The WSO regularly provides information to the Canadian Forces with respect to Sikh practices and articles of faith. When McDonald made her request to wear the turban, the WSO was once again consulted and provided information and advice on the significance of the turban to both Sikh men and women.

The Canadian Forces now allow both Sikh men and women to wear turbans and the Sikh articles of faith while serving.

McDonald has now been given permission and has begun to wear her turban full time while on duty. She said today, "as the first Sikh woman in the Royal Canadian Navy to be approved to serve while wearing a turban, I feel fortunate to be given this opportunity. Military service is a very rewarding career, and I hope that my example will inspire other Canadian Sikh women to follow this path; to be able serve their country without worrying about having to compromise their identity as a Sikh. I would especially like to thank legal counsel Bhai Balpreet Singh Ji, and the World Sikh Organization of Canada for the assistance they have provided in this process.

WSO President Dr. Amritpal Singh Shergill said, “it is another milestone for Canadian Sikhs to see a Sikh woman proudly serve her country in the Canadian Forces while fearlessly being allowed to follow the teachings of her faith. We congratulate Wanda for this achievement and the Royal Canadian Navy for making it possible. This is another example of what makes Canada great and makes us proud to be Canadians.”

The World Sikh Organization of Canada (WSO) is a non-profit organization with a mandate to promote and protect the interests of Canadian Sikhs as well as to promote and advocate for the protection of human rights for all individuals, irrespective of race, religion, gender, ethnicity, and social and economic status.

Attachments

• 0005a.jpg
    0005a.jpg
    117.1 KB · Reads: 649

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
Apparently I made it off the internet, and into actual print in India...Jagbani, Hindustan Times, and this one... I wish I could get a copy of this particular article. It was Times of India, Chandigarh issue on 17 Nov.

Btw, I now have a Sikh name, the legal paperwork has been done, and my ID all reflect this. I am now a Kaur, and with the help of some friends in India and here, and with the letter H came up, my name has been changed to Harkiran. So I am now legally Harkiran Kaur.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    45.7 KB · Reads: 530

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: