• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

General Financial Incentive To Improve Punjab Sex Ratio

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
THE GOVERNMENT will give money to families that allow the birth of a girl child in Fategarh Sahib, Punjab, the district with lowest sex ratio in the country This means all pregnancies will have to be registered and the number of girls born be monitored. The government selected Fatehgarh Sahib last month after the Union Finance Ministry insisted that the scheme be utilised to test whether state intervention helps in improving the sex ratio. A study sponsored by the Bill Gates Foundation showed that the ratio is down to 628 girls to 1,000 boys in Khamano in Fatehgarh Sahib. Punjab's sex ratio is 874 females. Nanowal in Fatehgarh Sahib recorded the country's lowest sex ratio of 754 in the age group of 0-6 years in the 2001 census. If the scheme works in this district, it could be extended to other blocks with low sex ratio, a Women and Child Development ministry official said. Punjab, Haryana and Delhi, considered rich states, have the lowest sex ratios in the country The Women and Child Development Ministry will launch the conditional cash transfer scheme in five states - Andhra Pradesh, Orissa, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand and Punjab - from January 2007. According to the ministry, the objective of the scheme is to provide a set of staggered financial incentives to families so that they look after girls and educate them. The scheme entails giving money to parents for registration of birth, the entire process of immunisation, enrolment in school and completing primary education. The girl will get a choice to pursue higher studies or join a government-run vocational training course. The last condition is that she should remain unmarried till the age of 18. At birth, the family will get Rs 5,000 followed by Rs 200 for each immunisation till 24 months. For primary school, the girl child will get Rs 1,000 for admission followed by Rs 500 every year, provided her attendance is 85 per cent. For secondary level, she will get Rs 1,500 on admission and Rs 750 every yeal: thereafter During this entire period, the government will pay Rs 500 every year as premium for her insurance. At end of 12 years, she will get Rs 7,000. If she marries after 18, she will get a lump sum. WORRYING STATS Population (0-6) 78,820,411 Sex ratio (O-6) 927 Literacy rate 53.7 % of females infant 61 per mortality rate 1,000 Child mortality 21.1 per rate (O-4 years) 1,000

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
Printed from
The Times of India -Breaking news, views. reviews, cricket from across India

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]British-Indians aborting 'unwanted girls'
3 Dec 2007, 1416 hrs IST
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
PTI

SMS NEWS to 58888 for latest updates
spacer.gif
LONDON: If you think that selective sex abortion is only widespread in India, you are wrong. It is a practice which is prevalent in Britain too, but among the women in the Indian community.

Researchers at Oxford University have carried out a probe and found that a number of Indian-born women living in Britain are aborting unwanted daughters in order to have more boys -- only because of cultural pressure.

According to their findings, nearly 1,500 girls have gone missing from the birth statistics in England and Wales since 1990 -- that is, one in ten girls missing from the list for Indian-born women having their third or fourth child.

"There's a shortfall of girls born to Indian women compared with what would be expected. What I have found is that the proportion of boys over girls has increased over time... it's increased in a way that's not normal. The most probable explanation seems to be sex selective abortion by a minority of mothers born in India," lead researcher Sylvie Dubuc, a population expert, was quoted by The Times as saying.

In fact, the researchers found that many Indian women in Britain are undergoing the sex selective abortion in their home country -- a practice outlawed in India since the 1980s.

"We are aware that it does go on in India. We are surprised and shocked that it's possibly happening in Indian women who are living in this country. We think this is very unfortunate in this day and age -- it's shocking. It's very hard to say why this could happen. It could be that the parents themselves feel the pressure to have sons, because of culture or background, rather than from family," the President of the British Association of Physicians of Indian Origin, Ramesh Mehta, was quoted as saying.

[/FONT]

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
It is now clear that many people want children for selfish reason.Europe is another example of this.Many european countries are facing severe crisis low birth rate.they are trying many things to promote it but no visible results ARE COMING .Many social scientists beleive that chilfdren are no longer economically beneficial that's why people are opting for less or no children.Similarly girls in indian society are not economically beneficial for parents that's why they are opting for boys.

I hear that India is doing a better job at enforcing the ban of dowry...which may also help.

But those fundamentalist cultural attitudes are engrained and it might take chisal to remove them.

I know this idea seems far fetched and sinister but i will throw it out there to stick true to my name...

Maybe sexual ratio disparity amongst the sexes is a socio cultural agent that was adopted unconsciously by Inidian society to control population within india?

I mean it would be effective considering woman possess the fixed gametes.

Im not trying to justify infanticide or anything similiar to sex selected abortion...I am against it
I would see this argument as belonging purely to a utilitarian, thus should be discussed

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
I hear that India is doing a better job at enforcing the ban of dowry...which may also help.

But those fundamentalist cultural attitudes are engrained and it might take chisal to remove them.

I know this idea seems far fetched and sinister but i will throw it out there to stick true to my name...

Maybe sexual ratio disparity amongst the sexes is a socio cultural agent that was adopted unconsciously by Inidian society to control population within india?

Im not trying to justify infanticide or anything similiar to sex selected abortion...I am against it
I would see this argument as belonging purely to a utilitarian, thus should be discussed

Then hear another problem.The main culprits of female foeticide's are which are not so poor and educated.The next problem is now trading of girls is started rapidly in haryana punjab.agents purchase girls from very poor parts of india and then sell them here.These people treat these girls like animals.The new report is that india is facing shortage of
28 million brides and worst hit will be poor men.so with this problem crimes are also going to be increased.

As far as dowry law is concerned at present it is severly misused with reports of upto
80% cases registered under it are fake.Thanks to this law men's right movement like Save indian family is also started. they declared november 19 as men's day

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
t's not just india and the UK...

i read an article about a clinic that aims it's advertisements for sex detection ultrasounds at punjabi immigrants in Canada:

Ultrasound ads promote female abortion, immigrant society charges
There are quite few clinics in America that Assure Male child from artificial fertilization and there visitors aree not only Immigrants but even Tourist from far off places like CHINA

I agree somewhat It could be called natures way to control it or could be collective Intelligence that operates at mass level .I know these concepts look wierd but sucg concepts were used very widely by various people like Sigmund freud

It is now clear that many people want children for selfish reason.Europe is another example of this.Many european countries are facing severe crisis low birth rate.they are trying many things to promote it but no visible results ARE COMING .Many social scientists beleive that chilfdren are no longer economically beneficial that's why people are opting for less or no children.Similarly girls in indian society are not economically beneficial for parents that's why they are opting for boys.

You are quite right!

this is the baseline reason for the plight of europe and India

Self interest has become first pirority for everybody and children are considered bad investment now a days in bussiness terms

But religious beliefs of some groups which consider child birth to be devine thing will ultimately rise in numbers and may be even power!!

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
But religious beliefs of some groups which consider child birth to be devine thing will ultimately rise in numbers and may be even power!!

So it means that modern values are self destructing for a society.humans don't need atom bomb to extinct themselves.Modern values are enough to destroy a country.

So does it means that final demographic victory belongs to traditional religions like islam and others.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
I agree somewhat It could be called natures way to control it or could be collective Intelligence that operates at mass level .I know these concepts look wierd but sucg concepts were used very widely by various people like Sigmund freud

Then what about the sexual starvation of men or Indian society will adopt method of pandava's (polyandry)

Hello Dr. Khalsa,
Good to hear from you.

Well I guess I would have to give credit where it is due… Thankyou Freud…lol…interesting concept nonetheless.

You are quite right!

this is the baseline reason for the plight of europe and India

Self interest has become first pirority for everybody and children are considered bad investment now a days in bussiness terms

It seems that capitalism planted its own seeds of destruction if we were to travel along these Freudian psychoanalytical pathways? but that argument seems myopic? any thoughts?

I find it funny how humanity, in general, views a continuously expanding population as beneficial. Continuous growth is the same philosophy of a malignant cancer cell … it spreads and expands until it kills the host. In this case the host being planet earth and its limited resources.

Thus I have a radically different view. The future belongs to those societies that hold self-sustainability above mindless uncontrolled expansion.

cheers

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
I find it funny how humanity, in general, views a continuously expanding population as beneficial. Continuous growth is the same philosophy of a malignant cancer cell … it spreads and expands until it kills the host. In this case the host being planet earth and its limited resources.

It is not humanity it is democracy that views more population beneficial.Everthing is distribuited in democracy on the basis of popualtion of community.Its the main reason that 1984 riots victims were unable to get justice and all parties in india make and are making gujarat riots their issue.The reason muslim population = 8 times higher than sikh population.

It is not humanity it is democracy that views more population beneficial.Everthing is distribuited in democracy on the basis of popualtion of community.Its the main reason that 1984 riots victims were unable to get justice and all parties in india make and are making gujarat riots their issue.The reason muslim population = 8 times higher than sikh population.

democracy? so communist/dictatorship china doesnt veiw high unsustainable population as its asset?

face it humans are obsessed with continous demographic and economic expansion. which is in the end disasterous

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
democracy? so communist/dictatorship china doesnt veiw high unsustainable population as its asset?

I don't know about china.The only thing i know about them is they brutaly tried to imposed population control methods.These methods were also discussed in india but indian politicians clearly said that they are not possible in democracy.

only the societies that can become one with there environment will live on. those who have mastered self-sustainability with minimal ecological footprint. those societies that operate with the greatest effeciency and those that do not have HUGE populations but rather self sustaining populations will live on longer.

when population plateau's (like Malthus predicted) it will be these societies which will prosper while the others fade into the abyss.

do you think india's 1.2 billion population is sustainable without warfare and the fight for more natural resources?

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
do you think india's 1.2 billion population is sustainable without warfare and the fight for more natural resources?

Yes its sustainable .The only thing india has to do is to make its people skilled.European old age population is increasing at crazy rate.They desperately needed yound skilled workers to support their pension fund.With the advantage of english india can provide them plenty of workers.

The main problem at present of india is that population of communities like muslimsand regions like bihar is increasing rapidly while other developed regions has population which is at replacement level as result migration and craetion of bihari votebank.so local leaders are spreading hatred against them.This problem will tear india into pieces.

I don't know about china.The only thing i know about them is they brutaly tried to imposed population control methods.These methods were also discussed in india but indian politicians clearly said that they are not possible in democracy.

and what about iran?

which saw a only modest population growths during its democratic era because of population control measures but then drastic population increases during its dictatorship rule under Khomeani.

your logic is flawed:
democracy is not the only agent of population growth its the general human obsession with growth that causes this sprawl. And this psyche is very much present in some religious philosphy as anywhere else.

Yes its sustainable .The only thing india has to do is to make its people skilled.European old age population is increasing at crazy rate.They desperately needed yound skilled workers to support their pension fund.With the advantage of english india can provide them plenty of workers.

The main problem at present of india is that population of communities like muslimsand regions like bihar is increasing rapidly while other developed regions has population which is at replacement level as result migration and craetion of bihari votebank.so local leaders are spreading hatred against them.This problem will tear india into pieces.

you just answered my question

but its not the only factor that will lead to india's collapse...once the precious coal and oil reach peak levels, famine (superbug) is likely to tear india apart. The ensuing social revolts will be drastic and violent.

once the soils of punjab are exhausted and its landscape resembles rajasthan India will meet its end. The intensive agriculture in india's greenbelt is not sustainable...water tables are shriking and fresh water reservoirs are undergoing Eutrophication (just like you mentioned in the thread you posted today).

if india cannot become energy independant, reduce its population and learn to respect the environment it will fade into the abyss along with any other country that follows suit.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
your logic is flawed:
democracy is not the only agent of population growth its the general human obsession with growth that causes this sprawl. And this psyche is very much present in some religious philosphy as anywhere else.

You are a misinterpretting my statement There is no single reason for population growth or decline.I was just saying that in democracies communities with large population takes everything while minorites just get neglected . as a result these communities also started imposing their laws ,culture,religion on minorites.In this case i think you should ask begum,namjap about malaysia.Some days ago he wrote how the laws were fair when population was 50:50 and now how muslims have started imposing their laws because now population is in their favour.so communities with higher birth rate are not at all interested in population control methods

As far as psyche is concerned just type low birth rate europe in google and you will find 100's of articles from socail scientists and govenment measure's to increase population in european countries but hardly anything is working.So european example tell us that human psyche is not for population growth.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Santokh singh ji your help needed please tell us about malayasia

Sinister Ji and kds Ji,

I see you both are raising very good points and the discussion was healthy until it went off topic. So now it seems that the topic has shifted from "sex ratio" to "higher population".

Please keep within the topic - sex ratio.

~ Santokh ~

Last edited by a moderator:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM