• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Gurus Favourite Guru

roshi

SPNer
Jul 4, 2006
a very subjective question.....even i have a favorite Guru....but i think this happens a lot to ppl in sikhism....we have so much literature on some Gurus and some Gurus have not been given their due in our historical literature..that it is very natural to feel more attached to one Guru and not that much attached to some other Guru just because i havent read much about Him.....
kaur-1 said:
Is it ok to have a "favourite" or a strong attachment to a Guru.?

Harinder1986

SPNer
Apr 3, 2006
London
Well all the Guru Jis had the same divine jot, which now continues in Guru Granth Sahib Ji. When you say favourite or a strong attachment to one Guru, if the divine jot is the same, then it automatically applies to all the Gurus. lol if you get what I am trying to say.

Jul 10, 2006
Thanks for the replies but i have since moved on (for the better) in my learning process. Initially I was somehow driven to learn more about Sikhi by my strong attachement to Sri Guru Arjan Dev ji.

But I am sure others might want an answer to the above question.

For example why are sikhs from new mexico more attached to Sri Guru Ram Das ji.?

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
For your kind consideration: some sangat may have the following divine attibutes in mind of each Guru Ji:

source: http://www.sikhworld.co.uk/page3.html

Each one of the Gurus represents a divine attribute:
  • Guru Nanak Dev Ji - Humility
    Guru Angad Dev Ji - Obedience
    Guru Amar Das Ji - Equality
    Guru Ram Das Ji - Service
    Guru Arjan Dev Ji - Self-Sacrifice
    Guru Hargobind Ji - Justice
    Guru Har Rai Ji - Mercy
    Guru Harkrishan Ji - Purity
    Guru Tegh Bahadur Ji - Tranquillity

Guru Gobind Singh Ji - Royal Courage
    Guru Granth Sahib Ji - The living embodiment of the Gurus

NamHariKaur

SPNer
Jun 23, 2005
Eugene Oregon USA
Kaur-1 Ji;
The reason the New Mexico "white sikhs" or 3HO sikhs favor Guru Ram Das so much, is because the teacher that inspired them to become Sikhs - Yogi Bhajan - regarded Guru Ram Das as his own special guide and Guru. As for why YB favored Guru Ram Das, if I ever read that, I have forgotten what was said.

Wahe Guru!

Nam Hari Kaur, Eugene OR

inderpreet99

SPNer
Nov 24, 2004
Boston
Rather than saying if its OK, I should say that the life stories of the following Gurus extremely motivate me: Guru Gobind Singh Ji and Guru Arjan Dev Ji. As you can imagine, I listen to a lot of Dhadi Vaaran.

Like you all have already said, since it is the same Divine Jot, there is really no reason for me to feel connected to only 1 Guru, rather than all.

Jaspreet08

SPNer
Feb 1, 2008
For your kind consideration: some sangat may have the following divine attibutes in mind of each Guru Ji:

source: http://www.sikhworld.co.uk/page3.html

Each one of the Gurus represents a divine attribute:
  • Guru Nanak Dev Ji - Humility
    Guru Angad Dev Ji - Obedience
    Guru Amar Das Ji - Equality
    Guru Ram Das Ji - Service
    Guru Arjan Dev Ji - Self-Sacrifice
    Guru Hargobind Ji - Justice
    Guru Har Rai Ji - Mercy
    Guru Harkrishan Ji - Purity
    Guru Tegh Bahadur Ji - Tranquillity
    Guru Gobind Singh Ji - Royal Courage

Guru Granth Sahib Ji - The living embodiment of the Gurus

Hmmmm....Very interesting. I never thought of it like this. I can definetely see some truth in these attributes assigned to each Guru Maharaj.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: