• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

False Worldly Love

Jun 11, 2004
India
Raag Dayv-Gandhaaree, Ninth Mehl:
In this world, I have seen love to be false.
Whether they are spouses or friends, all are concerned only with their own happiness. ||1||Pause||
All say, ""Mine, mine"", and attach their consciousness to you with love.
But at the very last moment, none shall go along with you. How strange are the ways of the world! ||1||
The foolish mind has not yet reformed itself, although I have grown weary of continually instructing it.
O Nanak, one crosses over the terrifying world-ocean, singing the Songs of God. ||2||3||6||38||47||

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
I guess, the feeling of 'Detached Attachment' comes via Naam Simran by discarding Haumai. Then there is only one thing in mind - Bahut janam bichuray the madho, eh janam tumhare lekhe - I was lost for so many births, now this birth is FOR YOU ONLY Karta Purakh.

etinder

SPNer
Jul 26, 2004
New Delhi, India
off hand the bani that comes to mind is
from Anand Sahib

ey mn ipAwirAw qU sdw scu smwly ]
eae man piaariaa thoo sadhaa sach samaalae ||
O beloved mind, contemplate the True Lord forever.

eyhu kutMbu qU ij dyKdw clY nwhI qyrY nwly ]
eaehu kutta(n)b thoo j dhaekhadhaa chalai naahee thaerai naalae ||
This family which you see shall not go along with you.

swiQ qyrY clY nwhI iqsu nwil ikau icqu lweIAY ]
saathh thaerai chalai naahee this naal kio chith laaeeai ||
They shall not go along with you, so why do you focus your attention on them?

AYsw kMmu mUly n kIcY ijqu AMiq pCoqweIAY ]
aisaa ka(n)m moolae n keechai jith a(n)th pashhothaaeeai ||
Don't do anything that you will regret in the end.

siqgurU kw aupdysu suix qU hovY qyrY nwly ]
sathiguroo kaa oupadhaes sun thoo hovai thaerai naalae ||
Listen to the Teachings of the True Guru - these shall go along with you.

khY nwnku mn ipAwry qU sdw scu smwly ]11]
kehai naanak man piaarae thoo sadhaa sach samaalae ||11||
Says Nanak, O beloved mind, contemplate the True Lord forever. ||11||

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
Thanks etinder ji.

Why it is said that Anand Sahib should be recited by husband and wife together by reading alternate tuks? Is there any particular reason for this, or what I heard is wrong?

Regards.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Sevadaar ji,

As we discussed before that the journey is one's own and belongs to the individual. Husband and wife can share the same goal but each has to walk on the path according to his/her own drum beat- Dasam Duar.

One can share goodness with others but only after attaining it on his/her own with Worship, Work and Welfare - the 3 basic tenets of Sikhi.

In Christanity it is said that Jesus died for his followers. In Sikhi, each of us is the bearer of Gurmat Torch. No one dies for anyone else.

The interesting part is that we say 'DO' paath not study Gurbani, which itself shows the mechanical ritual, an everday chore that we dread at times.

'Doing' Paath together by each reciting one tuk is ok in a group which could be one's spouse or anyone else. But it is just a baby crawl. In order for us to stand tall and be able to walk on our own we have to STUDY Gurbani albeit alone or with the fellow journeyman/woman.

Tejwant

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
Thanks Tejwant ji. I got your point about study of Gurubani and the individual journeys. And now, I dont think, I am going to look for the resource I mentioned before.

etinder

SPNer
Jul 26, 2004
New Delhi, India
I totally agree with tejwant veerji, that we all have to do our own share..its beneficial to have a sadh sangat, but still i strongly believe that its ur own learning, understanding and "dharaan" of baani that would matter at the end.

bhul chuk maaf

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM