• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Evolution & Sikhism

Feb 14, 2006
Harjas Kaur.
Please read Darwin’s original work... In NO way was he out to undermine the church and push a material world agenda. If you read his work he makes no reference to God until his last measly paragraph. Where he writes one of the most eloquent statements:

“There is grandeur in this view of life, with it’s several powers, having been originally breathed by the Creator into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.”
--(origin of species, pg 396…last manuscript)
Dear Sinister, don't patronize me, I'm probably twice your age, and yes, I have read The Origin of Species, about 2 decades ago. What you have written above as refutation of the Rationalist-Materialist-Atheistic scientific platform is in no way persuasive. For one thing, did you know Charles Darwin was an avowed agnostic, and a white racist? His original theories of survival of the fittest were in fact the science which nazi Germany used to justify it's campaign of extermination of undesirable races. There is certainly no eloquence in a scientific theory in which personal prejudice seeps into interpretations compatible with Nietzche, which is then expounded upon by fanatics like Hitler.

In his later private autobiography, Darwin wrote of this time:

"Whilst on board the Beagle (October 1836-January 1839) I was quite orthodox, and I remember being heartily laughed at by several of the officers (though themselves orthodox) for quoting the Bible as an unanswerable authority on some point of morality. I suppose it was the novelty of the argument that amused them. But I had gradually come, by this time, to see that the Old Testament; from its manifestly false history of the world, with the Tower of Babel, the rainbow as a sign, etc., etc., and from its attributing to God the feelings of a revengeful tyrant, was no more to be trusted than the sacred books of the Hindoos, or the beliefs of any barbarian." (Charles Darwin: The Autobiography of Charles Darwin with original omissions restored. New York, Norton, 1969. p.85) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Darwin's_views_on_religion
Darwin expressed his doubts about the teleological argument which claimed nature as evidence of god :
"With respect to the theological view of the question: This is always painful to me. I am bewildered. I had no intention to write atheistically, but I own that I cannot see as plainly as others do, and as I should wish to do, evidence of design and beneficence on all sides of us. There seems to me too much misery in the world. I cannot persuade myself that a beneficent and omnipotent God would have designedly created the Ichneumonidae with the express intention of their feeding within the living bodies of caterpillars or that a cat should play with mice... On the other hand, I cannot anyhow be contented to view this wonderful universe, and especially the nature of man, and to conclude that everything is the result of brute force. I am inclined to look at everything as resulting from designed laws, with the details, whether good or bad, left to the working out of what we may call chance."
Darwin's Duplicity and Opportunism.
During the five years on the Beagle Darwin was a close companion of Captain Robert FitzRoy. FitzRoy was an opinionated conservative Anglican. It is interesting indeed that on the long voyage young Charles maintained a reputation for being a biblical literalist. Yet as we have seen, after only five months or less off the ship Darwin had written down some of his basic ideas on evolution and his repudiation of the God of the Bible.It is incredible that his thinking could have undergone total transformation from biblical literalism in that short time. No, on board ship he must have acted like an orthodox Christian in order to please his opinionated captain. In the period from 1837 to 1840 Charles Darwin's reputation was rising, promoted especially by Adam Sedgwick who sponsored him in the Royal Society. Yet to Sedgwick evolution was an abomination, so Charles had to keep his chief love absolutely to himself. In one of his notebooks he wrote out a verbal strategy he could use to conceal his belief in evolution. If Sedgwick had guessed what his young protege was thinking, Darwin's career would have suffered a severe setback. Yet he yearned to tell his associates about his theory. It was during this time of great inner stress before 1840 that he began to suffer from severe headaches and stomach trouble. Darwin kept his ideas from general circulation for some years until his reputation in the scientific community was established.

Show some respect for this. He did not want to disprove the existence of God, If anything he admits the existence of God. He wanted to build a model so that we could understand the working of nature without the introducing variables like “God’s plan” “God’s will”.
I don't have to show respect for a Humanistic paradigm of agnosticism and racism. The personal philosophies and views of Darwin did seep into his writings, and his teaching. It's undeniable, as he was a pioneer for the Agnostic scientific rationalist view. But even acknowledging that does not impinge the pure science.

But we weren't discussing the pure science. We are discussing the philosophical implications and interpretations of the pure science, which is a very different thing. And in this instance, it is not merely personal views of Darwin, but personal views of those who aggressively espouse the atheistic paradigm in Darwin's name, hiding behind the pure science, which have led to confrontations in courts of law with churches, continuing to the present day. So let's be honest about this shall we?

HOW HARD IS THIS TO UNDERSTAND? Science is not out to “get” religion… we leave that to the philosophers. Science simply collects and reports data in a fashion that enhances the ability of the human to understand natural
I never said science is "out to get religion." There you go hiding your atheistic beliefs behind the reality of pure and provable science. I don't even debate if atheistic philosophers and lawmakers ban religion. No one can ever stop religious experience. That is the birthright of every human being. but for you to flagrantly deny that an atheistic-rationalist-humanistic paradigm exists with science as interpretive of the pure facts, you're being intellectually dishonest.

To the vast majority of world populations and cultures, these very questions are of ultimate importance. Even in western societies founded upon evidentiary principles of science and rationalism, there are whole university departments and fields of study dedicated to evaluating the answers to these same questions you dismiss as invalid.

HUH? You mean philosophy department’s right? You won’t find a “god” discussion in any scientific community … I’ll assure you that. Your claims are groundless… learn the difference between science and metaphysics. Sorry to say this but “J..to the A” is right…These questions are invalid in science (upon closer observation).
Dear, you realize that psychology departments, literature departments, art departments, philosophy departments, anthropology departments, comparative religion departments, even law and history departments all discuss and debate questions central to a societal belief in God because belief in God and religious social morality have an overwhelming contribution to the historical context of people and the make-up of societies. Stop narrowing my response in an artificial way and contrived way to establish your points.

I never said the math, chemistry, applied physics, and biology departments were the only departments in a University. So, no sir, my claims are not groundless as I sometimes teach comparative religion classes in University. And even in nursing, I have had occasion to listen to lectures where educators who are bedside nurses share experiences of human belief in God which their patients have told them about, and this becomes a part of the nursing curriculum, because it's a part of patient care and direct patient experience. University is about an exchange of ideas in human society, not merely the exclusive purview of science departments. Again, stop hiding immaturely behind science as if it was your personal shield against all the vagaries and intricacies of human experience since the dawn of recorded history...which happen to include beliefs of varied kinds in God.
You are doing a great injustice by lumping science with atheistic philosophy. Correct Science is the science that is Agnostic and without opinion (and yes I will continue to repeat this until it is drilled and engrained in everyone mind).
how desparate this debate becomes when people cannot distinguish between fields of study.

Friend, nowhere in any post have I made the above comment. You have taken it from someone else, and applied it as a rebuttal to me. Again, another intellectual deceit. I have no desire to drill anything into anyone's mind. Neither do I accuse you of a great injustice. You have a right to your sincere beliefs. To be honest I went back for several posts and didn't even see this statement, so I have no idea where you got it from. But it's propagandistic to use as a false platform to knock my personal views down with. Please don't misquote me or attribute positions to me which are not mine. How desperate can you be? Thank you.

Last edited:

simpy

SPNer
Mar 28, 2006
"Dear all on this thread,

Please refer to the forum rules:

http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/tos.php

"SPN Forum Rules

** Comments made by any member do not reflect upon ideology of SikhPhilosophy.Net **

1. Respect: Treat all members with the kind of respect that you expect from them in return for yourself.

2. Unity in Diversity: Many members on SPN, come from various religious and cultural backgrounds and may have variable conflicting opinions. Religion and Philosophy are general but unique for each person's understanding and progress. If you disagree, simply accept the difference and ask for information you may not know. Un-necessary bragging, trash talk, childish arguements only take us away from the topic in hand. Please avoid them at any cost.

3. Blaming: Avoid blaming others. Seeing someone's fault is easier than your own fault.

4. Introspection: Try to find your own fault and purify your mind.

5. Karma: Always check your karma and its fruit from participating in this network.

6. Multiple Identities: No use using multiple identities. We can easily trace & monitor activities of such persons and deal with them appropriately.

7. Moderation: SPN Management reserves all the rights to delete or modify all the articles/discussions without asking for permissions from the authors/posters.

8. Comparative Study: Any member, who wants to explore relationship between Sikhism and other religions, please do that in a "General Philosophy" forum only.

9. Forum Etiquettes: Do not use offensive or vulgar language. Behave like a grown up person.

10. Personal Attacks or Sect Bashing: Do not engage in personal attacks or sect bashing. HATE MESSAGES WILL BE REMOVED WITHOUT NOTICE."

Thank you all."

Harjas Kaur

Thankyou for taking the time to discuss this important subject... the rules are rather sticky...I'll agree.

But remember... its just a discourse there is no reason for anger or anything.

lets just leave it at that

Lets resolve this heated back and forth through a compromise.
Perhaps by discussing "occam's razor principle" in science? or Leibnitz's "identity of observables"?

here is a great site:
What is Occam's Razor?

this site will show us what science is all about. What science stands for. and how to distinguish science from metaphysics. It will give everyone a great understanding of where the scientific community draws the lines between science and metaphysics.

and how the scientific community works day in and day out to keep theologians and atheists OUT.

and lets all try to keep our words less venemous. (I'll start with my own posts and I hope everyone follows...so that we may discuss this further without more trouble)

regards
-sinister

SuburbanSikh

SPNer
Jun 7, 2007
London, UK
I got to rate our Brothers in Espniola and California, they are a convert sikhs and the wonderful thing about them is that they don't have the friction of the Punjabi Culture to deal with. Faith and Culture is not the same thing.

I truley believe, Nowadays, Being Punjabi and a Sikh are not necassarily the same thing.

One is regional the other is faith.. This is prodomenantly where the confusion lies.

The convert sikhs are very much orthadox and they realise the value of their faith because they have learnt and adopted to it and truley belief it has substance and deep importance in their life ot atain a far greater level then just being human.

I think fundamentally, our culture and the perception some of piers are driving which limit and disinterest todasy youth from actually seeing the "Real GEM" hidden in the mist which is this world.

Modernisation is described as : the condition that results from being modern.
The word modern is described as : relating to people or things from modern times and not from some time in the past

The ideas of faith, is one of belief - in any faith as tiem goes on the BELIEF does should not vary irrespective of the technologies, societies and communities.

I think there are a lot of areas which add to the state of our Youth today.

No one person can know all history, know all sides of every argument ever conseived, know all people in the argument and their history adn relationship to the subject.. This is SIMPLY why the Tenth Master passed on his Guru Gadhi to "Guru Granth Sahb jee" true to when it was compiled, it will remains the same and it will remain the same..

This is the unity which ties us all together - this is the reasons our faith exists..

We seldom take time out to understand the knowledge, experience and awakening our guru offers us.

WJKKWJKF

Gee

Apr 11, 2007
LOOK AT THE FUTURE AND EVERYONE SEEMS TO LOOK FOR SOMETHING NEW.
LOOK AT THE PAST AND EVERYONE SEEMS TO LOOK FOR SOMETHING OLD.
BUT IN THE FUTURE WE ARE OLD, AND IN THE PAST WE WERE YOUNGER (NEWER, EVEN).
ONLY THING WE TRUELY HAVE IS FAITH. Exsistance and Inexsistance are both one. Look deep at things and everything and nothing makes sense, until you realise in reality the only thing that makes sense in reality (or truth should I say) is god. If I ask what is life? Would you say its a process of living or dying? Funny concept time. I knew time changed people, I just never knew how much. If I evolved from a child to a man. Then I have to believe that all living things change with time. How its changes falls down to your actions and deeds. Obviously nature takes its course on you. How you change/respond to it, is wether you survive or not. Evolution. If we keep polluting the earth and thats all you will get is a polluted world, messed up ecological system, same is your body mind and soul as taught in the Guru Granth Sahaib. JUST A FEW OF MY THOUGHTS, WORTHS!

vsgrewal48895

Writer
SPNer
Mar 12, 2009
Michigan
<?"urn::eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Evolution as per Sabd Guru
ਜੇਤੇ ਦਾਣੇ ਅੰਨ ਕੇ ਜੀਆ ਬਾਝੁ ਨ ਕੋਇ ਪਹਿਲਾ ਪਾਣੀ ਜੀਉ ਹੈ ਜਿਤੁ ਹਰਿਆ ਸਭੁ ਕੋਇ
Jee āe ann ke jī▫ā bāj na ko▫e. Pahilā pāī jī▫o hai ji hari▫ā sab ko▫e.
As many as are the grains of corn, none is without life. First, there is life in the water, by which everything else is made green.
Guru Nanak, Raag Asa, AGGS, Page, 472-14
The following Sabd describes the process of evolution by Guru Arjan:
ਕਈ ਜਨਮ ਭਏ ਕੀਟ ਪਤੰਗਾ ਕਈ ਜਨਮ ਗਜ ਮੀਨ ਕੁਰੰਗਾ ਕਈ ਜਨਮ ਪੰਖੀ ਸਰਪ ਹੋਇਓ ਕਈ ਜਨਮ ਹੈਵਰ ਬ੍ਰਿਖ ਜੋਇਓ ਮਿਲੁ ਜਗਦੀਸ ਮਿਲਨ ਕੀ ਬਰੀਆ ਚਿਰੰਕਾਲ ਇਹ ਦੇਹ ਸੰਜਰੀਆ ਕਈ ਜਨਮ ਸੈਲ ਗਿਰਿ ਕਰਿਆ ਕਈ ਜਨਮ ਗਰਭ ਹਿਰਿ ਖਰਿਆ ਕਈ ਜਨਮ ਸਾਖ ਕਰਿ ਉਪਾਇਆ ਲਖ ਚਉਰਾਸੀਹ ਜੋਨਿ ਭ੍ਰਮਾਇਆ ਸਾਧਸੰਗਿ ਭਇਓ ਜਨਮੁ ਪਰਾਪਤਿ ਕਰਿ ਸੇਵਾ ਭਜੁ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਗੁਰਮਤਿ

Kayee Janam Bha-ay Keett Patangaa, “Kayee Janam Meen Kurangaa, Kayee Janam Pankhee Sarap Hooeyoo, Kayee Janam Haivar Birkh Jooeyoo, Mil Jagdeesh Milan Kee Baree-aa, Chirankaal Eh Deh Sanjaree-aa, Kayee Janam Sail Gir Kariaa, Kayee Janam Garabh Hir Khariaa, Kayee Janam Saakh Kar Oupaaey-aa, Lakh Chauraasee Joan Bharmaaey-aa, Saadh Sung Bhaeo Janam Praapat, Kar Seva Bhaj Har Har Gurmat.
In so many incarnations, you were a worm and an insect. In so many incarnations, you were an elephant, a fish and a deer. In so many incarnations, you were a bird and a snake. In so many incarnations, you were yoked as an ox and a horse. Now it is time to meet the Creator of the Universe. After so very long, this human body was fashioned for you. In so many incarnations, you were rocks and mountains; in so many incarnations, you were aborted in the womb. In so many incarnations, you developed branches and leaves. You wandered through 8.4 million incarnations (evolution). Through the Sadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy, you obtained this human life. Do seva, selfless service; and vibrate the Akal Purkh's Name. -----Guru Arjan, Raag Gauri Guareri, AGGS, Page, 176
Cordially,
Virinder

Last edited by a moderator:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: