• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Even If There Is God Why Should People Worship Him?

FireStorm

SPNer
Jun 3, 2004
UK
The word is 'Love' - Not worship in the traditional sense....:)

Love Him cause ur a part of Him

Love Him cause he made you come into being

Love Him because you are because of him

Love Him because ur really in Love with Him

In fact Love is there because of no reason.............u Love simply to Love...never for a reason

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
A Sikh is not a worshipper. Sikhi condemns worshipping. Sikhi is not based on worshipping either. A worshipper prays for unknown things expecting unknown results. A Seeker seeks for things he can learn from.

Peace and love

Tejwant Singh

Jul 8, 2004
London
GurFateh Jio!

Worship can be defined as love too. It depends on what worship means to you. The highest form as someone mentioned is love, easiest path to Him. God doesnt need you to worship Him, or even love Him, you need this...this is the difference. Don't ask why He needs it, he doesnt 'Denda dey khandey thak pahe, juga jugantar khahi khahey' Guru Ji says in Japuji, he gives and gives and never tires of giving, even though the recievers tire of recieving.

S|kH

SPNer
Jul 11, 2004
We Are PENN STATE!!
Theres a qoute from gurbani, I dont know it exactly or the page, but the translation is something along the lines of :

"Even if everyone in the world worshipping him, it would not make a difference to him" meaning he requires no worship, and has no ego.

navsimpson

SPNer
Oct 30, 2004
Toronto
The understanding I am starting to get about the conception of God in Sikhism is that God is the underlying creative force of the universe. In terms of 'reciting the name of God' - I take this to mean not a meaningless ritualistic or submissive act but, instead, an attempt to connect oneself with an underlying divine consciousness that pervades everything.

The question is I think somewhat related to the idea of consciousness --> how is human consciousness present in the universe? There are numerous theories and I wouldn't want to dismiss them, even the idea that it simply 'happened'. But in terms of choosing ways to approach life, the idea that my consciousness is itself an extension of a universal mind - this is not only 'comforting' in a basic sense, but is also academically/philosophically defensible. There is, I think, in a very strange, paradoxical sense, an 'empirical' basis for this - the experience of listening to gurbani, of being engaged with 'the religious' has an effect on people. It makes them feel loved, it allows them to let go of greed, anger, hate and the material. Is it merely a psychological 'trick'? I don't know. But am I starting to feel a connectedness to that which might transcend my own mind? - possibly.

best,

Navneet

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
While reading this, the thing which comes to my mind is 'Hazara Hazoor' - the omnipresent creative force. Personally, I feel Once we lean our understanding towards this, then this question will yeild its answer on its own.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM