• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Christianity Evangelicalism

namritanevaeh

Writer
SPNer
Oct 14, 2012
Surrey, Canada
i sat in a church one night recently, for a Christmas service. It's the Punjabi service.

A lady wearing a tidy black dastaar sat down next to me.

For a while I half listened while 3 of the evangelical Christians bombarded her with their beliefs about how Jesus Christ will save you. I am sure she's firm in her own convictions nevertheless I felt sorry for her sitting there being proselytized to.

Later in the evening I had a chance to go up to her. I said "Nanak naam chardikala tere bhaney sarbat da bhalla". She looked at me agape. Not in a bad way...just astonished. I continued. "Isn't that kind of what sikhi says too in the end? Through Nanak, his name, chanting waheguru, & all that, you obtain bliss...are saved somehow?"

I ended the evening by wishing her ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕਾ ਖਾਲਸਾ ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕੀ ਫ਼ਤਿਹ (WJKKWJKF).

I LOVE seeing Sikhs come to the church. I love seeing any interfaith.

But I'm rather inclined to not go for the proselytizing. ;)

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
i sat in a church one night recently, for a Christmas service. It's the Punjabi service.

A lady wearing a tidy black dastaar sat down next to me.

For a while I half listened while 3 of the evangelical Christians bombarded her with their beliefs about how Jesus Christ will save you. I am sure she's firm in her own convictions nevertheless I felt sorry for her sitting there being proselytized to.

Later in the evening I had a chance to go up to her. I said "Nanak naam chardikala tere bhaney sarbat da bhalla". She looked at me agape. Not in a bad way...just astonished. I continued. "Isn't that kind of what sikhi says too in the end? Through Nanak, his name, chanting waheguru, & all that, you obtain bliss...are saved somehow?"

I ended the evening by wishing her ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕਾ ਖਾਲਸਾ ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕੀ ਫ਼ਤਿਹ (WJKKWJKF).

I LOVE seeing Sikhs come to the church. I love seeing any interfaith.

But I'm rather inclined to not go for the proselytizing. ;)

Would you be kind enough to shed some more light with details about this especially why the sermon of not embracing Jesus sends one to hell in Punjabi?

Thanks

namritanevaeh

Writer
SPNer
Oct 14, 2012
Surrey, Canada
I'm not sure what you mean at all.

It was a punjabi Christian church. A Sikh woman came and I felt like all they did was try and tell her that the only way not to go to hell is to accept Jesus Christ as her saviour. This is a common premise in Christianity, so it's not like it is fully "unexpected" there, but I do feel it's disrespectful of someone's own beliefs. So I talked to her to try and help validate her own beliefs too.

Is that not clear? Or was it a different question you're asking?

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
I'm not sure what you mean at all.

It was a punjabi Christian church. A Sikh woman came and I felt like all they did was try and tell her that the only way not to go to hell is to accept Jesus Christ as her saviour. This is a common premise in Christianity, so it's not like it is fully "unexpected" there, but I do feel it's disrespectful of someone's own beliefs. So I talked to her to try and help validate her own beliefs too.

Is that not clear? Or was it a different question you're asking?

My response was tongue in cheek. I am surprised you tried to console a Sikh lady because she was wearing a black turban rather than challenging the pastors who were trying to threaten her about going to Hell if she did not embrace Jesus. If she were not wearing a turban but was a Sikh, you would not have gone to her because the sermon was for the Punjabis in Punjabi.
Did you ask her why she was there and if anything the pastors said offended her? I would have.

The only reason people try to convert others to their respective faiths is because of their own insecurity in their own faiths hence for them, numbers become their only strength. This is the reason, Sikhi has nothing like that. Sikhi embraces anyone and everyone through the deeds. There are many tangible examples of this even going on today.

Last edited:

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
The only reason people try to convert others to their resopective faiths is because of their own insecurity in their own faiths hence for them, numbers become their only strength.
That is simply not true, I know of at least 2 religions where you get a coffee maker when you hit a certain target

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM