• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

English SGGS Translations

sikh15

SPNer
Jun 18, 2013
United States
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh,

I'm not quite sure if this is where to post this, but the Questions and Answers section didn't seem right since that seems to be more about Sikhi itself rather than what I am asking here. I hope that came out right. Anyway, moderators, please move if need be. And if there is a need, I apologize.

I have decided to purchase an English translation of the SGGS and I have 2 choices on what I can afford. They are as follows:

Translated by Dr. Gopal Singh
Translated by Gurbachan Singh Talib

So, which one should I get, considering I can only get 1? I know that neither is 100% reliable, but which one is best of the 2?

Thank you all for your input.

Kind Regards,

Justin

P.S. - Since these are just English translations, is it okay to store them on a bookshelf with my other Sikhi books? I can't afford a palki sahib right now. I know this is probably a whole thread on its own. Any links on how to install and care for the Guru in one's home would be greatly welcome.

P.S.S. - Can one install an English SGGS as Guru if one wants too?

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Hi Justin

I can't really help you with which translation would be better. Are they just English or are they Gurmukhi and English?

Your other questions:
P.S. - Since these are just English translations, is it okay to store them on a bookshelf with my other Sikhi books? I can't afford a palki sahib right now. I know this is probably a whole thread on its own. Any links on how to install and care for the Guru in one's home would be greatly welcome.

Yes, you can keep them on your bookshelf. You might want to drape a cloth over them to keep dust off the top of the pages. I know my books get dusty when they're out and dust is hard to clean from books.

P.S.S. - Can one install an English Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji as Guru if one wants too?

Negative. Only a Gurmukhi bir of SGGS is considered as Guru, formatted in the standard way as the page numbers must be the same in every copy. I believe the SGPC is the only authority to print the Guru. I may be wrong on that though.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Re: English Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Translations

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh,

I'm not quite sure if this is where to post this, but the Questions and Answers section didn't seem right since that seems to be more about Sikhi itself rather than what I am asking here. I hope that came out right. Anyway, moderators, please move if need be. And if there is a need, I apologize.

I have decided to purchase an English translation of the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji and I have 2 choices on what I can afford. They are as follows:

Translated by Dr. Gopal Singh
Translated by Gurbachan Singh Talib

So, which one should I get, considering I can only get 1? I know that neither is 100% reliable, but which one is best of the 2?

Thank you all for your input.

Kind Regards,

Justin

P.S.S. - Can one install an English Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji as Guru if one wants too?

Personally, as my Punjabi is not brilliant I use a combination of on line translations, I find the essence is easier to obtain by using several different translations. Also, if your reading is done online, I find there is less temptation to act in a different way just because you have a special room set aside for installing and caring for the Guru. Creator is all around us, not just in one room, you can come across all manner of strangeness regards how to install and care for the Guru, I find it takes you away from simply learning and sharing what you know.

I think some people need that room, where they can be quiet, and alter the air conditioning, and make sure Guruji is comfortable and well fed, it is of absolute importance to them, maybe more important than living the shabad Guru, I hope you understand,

Best wishes on your journey

sikh15

SPNer
Jun 18, 2013
United States
harry haller ji,

Yes, I do understand what you are saying. I'm one of those types of people that need reminders of my faith in my living space. I honestly can't wait to enshrine the Guru in my home. But that is a bit far off for now. However, I am someone who tries to live my faith and not just leave it at home, so to speak. So I will be doing all that I can to incorporate Sikhi into every aspect of my life. I hope that I understood what you meant by "living the shabad Guru".

Regards,

Justin

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
I'm one of those types of people that need reminders of my faith in my living space

strangely enough, I am the opposite, I consider myself 'off duty' in my living space, unless one of the dogs is with me and needs a cuddle, but I guess thats my own failing :)

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM