English-Gurbani Dictionary | Sikh Philosophy Network
  • Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

English-Gurbani Dictionary

Ishna

Enthusiast
Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
G'day

Can anyone point me in the direction of an online dictionary, or dictionary I can purchase, where I can look up Gurbani words and find their meaning in English?

I'm aware www.srigranth.org has a dictionary in-built, and I use this where I can, but some words (like ghar and likhia) just point to either 'from ghara' (which I can't find) or 'likhi-a' which doesn't really help me!

As I'm learning my nitnem banis, it assists me to know what the actual words mean.

Thank you in advance
Ishna

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Ishna ji

Just to get quick closure

ghar means home or house
likhiaa usually means pre-ordained, but can also mean written, inscribed, or pre-recorded, and carries a connotation of "so ordained" in English.

To your main question. I understand your frustration because the dictionary that I use, by Professor Surinder S. Kohli, "Dictionary of Guru Granth Sahib" is set up the same way.

Being the maniac that I am I actually enjoy this because it sends me on a treasure hunt of sorts through many pages and I learn the variations on a word or root word.

I am going to track something down for you - a document containing the 300 most used words in Sri Guru Granth Sahib. It should help you get over some of the obstacles.

:)

Ishna

Enthusiast
Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Thank you Jasleen and spnadmin.

spnadmin: I figured 'ghar' out by reading sohila -- it's used so often it's easy to see it means 'house' in the English translations. 'likhiaa' I found by google search result pointing back to this forum (it was mentioned in another thread at some point). :)

Thank you very much for the download!

Ishna

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Featured Shabad Vichaar

The shabd is composed by Bhagat Tarlochan ji in Raag Gurji and appears on Page 526 of the Sri Guru Granth Sahib (SGGS).

A study of its existing interpretations – both in Punjabi Teekas and...

SPN on Facebook