• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

English-Gurbani Dictionary

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
G'day

Can anyone point me in the direction of an online dictionary, or dictionary I can purchase, where I can look up Gurbani words and find their meaning in English?

I'm aware www.srigranth.org has a dictionary in-built, and I use this where I can, but some words (like ghar and likhia) just point to either 'from ghara' (which I can't find) or 'likhi-a' which doesn't really help me!

As I'm learning my nitnem banis, it assists me to know what the actual words mean.

Thank you in advance
Ishna

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Ishna ji

Just to get quick closure

ghar means home or house
likhiaa usually means pre-ordained, but can also mean written, inscribed, or pre-recorded, and carries a connotation of "so ordained" in English.

To your main question. I understand your frustration because the dictionary that I use, by Professor Surinder S. Kohli, "Dictionary of Guru Granth Sahib" is set up the same way.

Being the maniac that I am I actually enjoy this because it sends me on a treasure hunt of sorts through many pages and I learn the variations on a word or root word.

I am going to track something down for you - a document containing the 300 most used words in Sri Guru Granth Sahib. It should help you get over some of the obstacles.

:)

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Here you go

330 most common words in Sri Guru Granth Sahib
See attached. I created a .pdf file so anyone can print it out and carry it around and learn anywhere.

Attachments

• Gurubani Vocabularies - 330 Most Common Gurmukhi Words in the Siri Guru Granth Sahib.pdf
    198.9 KB · Reads: 1,100

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Thank you Jasleen and spnadmin.

spnadmin: I figured 'ghar' out by reading sohila -- it's used so often it's easy to see it means 'house' in the English translations. 'likhiaa' I found by google search result pointing back to this forum (it was mentioned in another thread at some point). :)

Thank you very much for the download!

Ishna

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: