• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Ek Pita Eks ke Hum Barik | ਏਕੁ ਪਿਤਾ ਏਕਸ ਕੇ ਹਮ ਬਾਰਿਕ

Dr Karminder Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Sep 3, 2009
ਸੋਰਠਿ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ਘਰੁ ੨ ਚਉਪਦੇ ॥ Sorath Mehla 5 Ghar 2 Chaupadey. SGGS Page 612

ਏਕੁ ਪਿਤਾ ਏਕਸ ਕੇ ਹਮ ਬਾਰਿਕ ਤੂ ਮੇਰਾ ਗੁਰ ਹਾਈ ॥ Ek Pita Ekus Kay Hum Barak Tu Mera Gur Hayi.

Ek Pita –
One Creator. Ekus Kay – Of that One. Hum – We. Barak – Children, offspring Tu – You. Mera – Mine. Gur – Guru, Enlightenment. Hayi – Are, is, have.

O Guru, You Have Enlightened Me that We Are All Children of the One Creator.

ਸੁਣਿ ਮੀਤਾ ਜੀਉ ਹਮਾਰਾ ਬਲਿ ਬਲਿ ਜਾਸੀ ਹਰਿ ਦਰਸਨੁ ਦੇਹੁ ਦਿਖਾਈ ॥ ੧ ॥ Sunn Mita Jio Hmara Bal Bal Jasi Har Darsan Deh Dikhayi

Sunn –
Listen; hear. Mita – Lit. Friend, guide. Jio Hmara – My life. Bal Bal Jasi – Sacrifice. Har – Creator. Darsan Dikhayi – Lit. See; Realize. Deh – Let, allow, make possible.

Hear, O Guru My Guide, I am a Sacrifice to You for Making Me Realize My Creator Within.

ਸੁਣਿ ਮੀਤਾ ਧੂਰੀ ਕਉ ਬਲਿ ਜਾਈ ॥ ਇਹੁ ਮਨੁ ਤੇਰਾ ਭਾਈ ॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ Sunn Mita Dhuri Ko Bal Jayi. Eh Mun Tera Bhai.

Sunn
– Listen, hear. Mita – Lit. Friend, guide. Dhuri – Lit. Dust, Submission. Bal Jayi – Sacrifice. Eh Mun – This mind. Tera – Yours. Bhai – Lit. Brotherly Affection

Hear, O Guru My Guide, in this Sacrifice; My Mind is Yours in Brotherly (Affectionate) Submission.

ਪਾਵ ਮਲੋਵਾ ਮਲਿ ਮਲਿ ਧੋਵਾ ਇਹੁ ਮਨੁ ਤੈ ਕੂ ਦੇਸਾ ॥ Pav Malova Mul Mul Dhova Eh Mun Taiy Ku Desa

Pav –
Lit. feet. Malova – Lit. Press. Mul Mul – Lit. Scrub. Dhova- Lit. Cleanse. Pav Malova Mul Mul Dhova – Poetic for Ultimate Humility. Eh Mun – My Mind. Taiy Ku – To You. Desa – Lit. Give, offer, surrender

I Surrender My Mind to You in Absolute Humility

ਸੁਣਿ ਮੀਤਾ ਹਉ ਤੇਰੀ ਸਰਣਾਈ ਆਇਆ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਮਿਲਉ ਦੇਹੁ ਉਪਦੇਸਾ ॥ ੨ ॥ Sunn Mita Hao Teri Sarnnayi Aiya Prabh Miloa Deh Updesa

Sunn
– Listen, hear. Mita – Lit. Friend, guide. Hao – I, me. Teri – Your. Sarnnayi Aiya – Come in Submission. Prabh – Creator. Miloa – Lit. Meet; Realize. Deh – Give, provide. Updesa – Advice, counsel.

Hear, O Guru my Guide, I Come Before You in Submission, Counsel Me Towards Realization of the Creator Within.

ਮਾਨੁ ਨ ਕੀਜੈ ਸਰਣਿ ਪਰੀਜੈ ਕਰੈ ਸੁ ਭਲਾ ਮਨਾਈਐ ॥ Man Na Kejey Sarann Prejay Krey So Bhla Manayeay

Man –
Ego, Pride. Kejey – Possess, have. Sarann Prejay – Submit. Krey So – All that is Willed (by the Creator). Bhla – Good. Manayeay – Accept.

Counsel Me to be Never in Pride and to Accept the Will of the Creator.

ਸੁਣਿ ਮੀਤਾ ਜੀਉ ਪਿੰਡੁ ਸਭੁ ਤਨੁ ਅਰਪੀਜੈ ਇਉ ਦਰਸਨੁ ਹਰਿ ਜੀਉ ਪਾਈਐ ॥ ੩ ॥ Sunn Mita Jio Pind Sabh Tan Arpijey Eeo Darsan Har Jio Paiyeay

Sunn
– Listen, hear. Mita – Lit. Friend, guide. Jio- Life, Conscience. Pind – My physical abode. Sabh Tan – Of my senses. Arpijey – Offer in Submission. Eeo – So that. Darsan Paiyeay – Lit. Get to see; Realize Har– Omnipresent Creator.

Hear, O Guru my Guide, I Submit Myself in Entirety, so as to Realize the Omnipresent Within My Conscience.

ਭਇਓ ਅਨੁਗ੍ਰਹੁ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ਸੰਤਨ ਕੈ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮਾ ਹੈ ਮੀਠਾ ॥ Bhayeo Anugreh Parsad Santan Kay Har Nama Hai Meetha

Bhayeo
– Obtain. Anugreh – Award, honor, gift. Parsad – Blessing, grace. Santan Kay – Of the Guru. Har Nama – Divine Virtues. Hai – Become. Meetha – Lit. sweet; acceptable.

By the Gift of Your Grace O Guru, Divine Virtues Have Come to be of Sweet Acceptance.

ਜਨ ਨਾਨਕ ਕਉ ਗੁਰਿ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਧਾਰੀ ਸਭੁ ਅਕੁਲ ਨਿਰੰਜਨੁ ਡੀਠਾ ॥ ੪ ॥ ੧ ॥ ੧੨ ॥ Jun Nanak Kao Gur Kirpa Dhari Sabh Akul Niranjan Deetha

Gur Kirpa Dhari –
Graced by the Guru. Sabh – All, entire. Akul – of No Lineage, Self- created. Niranjan – Lit. Blemish less; Creator. Deetha – Lit. see; Realize.

Nanak, my Guru (Shabd) Has Graced me with the Realization that the Self-Created Creator is Within the Entirety of His Creation.

POINTS WORTH PONDERING.

1. The Rahao Verse contains the core idea. Going by this verse, this Shabd is basically a prayer from the Sikh to his Guru (shabd). The Rahao verse is indicating that the Sikh’s mind is prepared to listen, understand, believe and follow affectionately the messages of the Shabd. That is the spiritually practical message of ਇਹੁ ਮਨੁ ਤੇਰਾ ਭਾਈ ॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ Eh Mun Tera Bhai.

2. The supremacy of the message of the shabd requires that we accept its messages of the Shabd with total submission. That is the essence of the first part of the Rahao verse: ਸੁਣਿ ਮੀਤਾ ਧੂਰੀ ਕਉ ਬਲਿ ਜਾਈ ॥ Sunn Mita Dhuri Ko Bal Jayi. The word Dhuree is literally dust. In Gurmat it denotes humility in submission.

3. The Guru has qualities that makes Him the best option for me to realize my Creator. His qualities are related to ENLIGHTENING ME of things that help me in my spiritual journey. The first VIRTUE of the Guru is mentioned in Verse 1. ਏਕੁ ਪਿਤਾ ਏਕਸ ਕੇ ਹਮ ਬਾਰਿਕ ਤੂ ਮੇਰਾ ਗੁਰ ਹਾਈ ॥ Ek Pita Ekus Kay Hum Barak Tu Mera Gur Hayi. My Guru enlightened me that we are all children of the One Creator – this enlightenment is crucial in realizing the Creator.

4. The remaining verses (2, 3, and 4) make clear of other Virtues of my Guru and the corresponding relationship I desire with my Guru so that He may guide me towards realization of my Creator within me

End.

ravneet_sb

Writer
SPNer
Nov 5, 2010
Sat Sri Akaal

Kul for eg of brahmin kul ie family from brahmin caste ie sharma divedi etc. All castes.belonging to that family
Gotar Main Caste
Jaat Sub Caste

are old representations to classify family.

Shabad in focus Akul No family or All family. As entire creation

Please correct for understand of Shabad in focus.

Waheguru Ji ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: