• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Ego/hankaar

poppy

SPNer
Apr 13, 2005
london
can someone please tell me that if 'ego/hankaar' is forbidden then why do we express ourselves as 'proud to be sikhs/ 'proud of our heritage/religion/achievements as sikhs' etc etc. Every where I go I see sikhs who are arrogant and see themselves as superior.
Help. Confused.

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
poppy said:
can someone please tell me that if 'ego/hankaar' is forbidden then why do we express ourselves as 'proud to be sikhs/ 'proud of our heritage/religion/achievements as sikhs' etc etc. Every where I go I see sikhs who are arrogant and see themselves as superior.
Help. Confused.
Often, I see words used in Gurbani dont have direct English translation. And in lot of situations, wrong word is picked up as a translation, hence changing the context.

However, in this particular case, ego/ahankaar should be taken more towards arrogance... which is certainly not a good human trait. Still more introspection makes me not to use 'proud' word too.

So yes, I agree with you, what you are saying.. but that may be just me

Jul 30, 2004
world
Gurfateh

Yes Sikh can never be proud of as pride or Abhiman is anti Panth but this is at high stage.

at initial stages we may find term fortunate or Vadbhagi for being Sikh.

so we can say we are most fortunate as Akal took us under self guidance of truth and we are Sikh.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: