• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikh Edx Harvard Course: Sikhism Through Its Scriptures (free Online Course)

A_seeker

Writer
SPNer
Jun 6, 2018
On 6th August 2018 .Harvard University will launch its first course on Sikh. The course is taught by Dr. Harpreet Singh, a scholar in Sikhism and South Asian Studies

To Enroll checkout the link below:

Sikhism Through Its Scriptures

About this course

Sikhi, commonly known as Sikhism, is a monotheistic religious tradition that was founded by Guru Nanak in late fifteenth-century Panjab in South Asia. Today, Sikhi’s approximately twenty-five to thirty million adherents can be found all over the globe, making it one of the six major religions of the world. Sikhi encompasses a number of religious, social, economic and political institutions, most of which were established and nurtured by Guru Nanak and his nine successors, known as Sikh Gurus.

For over five hundred years, Sikhs in the Panjab and all over the world have engaged with their scripture, the Guru Granth Sahib, through the devotional practices of exegesis, singing, recitation, memorization and calligraphy.

This course examines the Sikh scripture from a doctrinal and historical perspective by providing an overview of Sikh teachings as well as the historical context within which the scripture evolved and became canonized. It also examines the musical and aesthetic dimensions of the Sikh scripture, as well as ways in which the voluminous text has provided Sikhs with a social, ethical, spiritual and political message to help them respond to and shape the world around them.

No previous knowledge of Sikhi or religious studies is required. This course is part of the World Religions Through Their Scriptures XSeries Program.

What you'll learn

● Exploration of a foundational Sikh text, the Japji, which was composed by Guru Nanak and is recited by Sikhs as part of their morning prayers
● The place of Guru Granth Sahib, the Sikh scripture, in Sikh life
● Interpretative skills to engage in a nuanced reading of Guru Granth Sahib
● Gurmat Sangit, the Sikh musical tradition, as represented in the Sikh scripture and its cultural context
● The aesthetics of Sikhi, including literature, art, and music
● The political dimensions of Sikh scripture and its impact on the evolution of Sikhs as a Panth or community

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
On 6th August 2018 .Harvard University will launch its first course on Sikh. The course is taught by Dr. Harpreet Singh, a scholar in Sikhism and South Asian Studies

About this course

Sikhi, commonly known as Sikhism, is a monotheistic religious tradition that was founded by Guru Nanak in late fifteenth-century Panjab in South Asia. Today, Sikhi’s approximately twenty-five to thirty million adherents can be found all over the globe, making it one of the six major religions of the world. Sikhi encompasses a number of religious, social, economic and political institutions, most of which were established and nurtured by Guru Nanak and his nine successors, known as Sikh Gurus.

For over five hundred years, Sikhs in the Panjab and all over the world have engaged with their scripture, the Guru Granth Sahib, through the devotional practices of exegesis, singing, recitation, memorization and calligraphy.

This course examines the Sikh scripture from a doctrinal and historical perspective by providing an overview of Sikh teachings as well as the historical context within which the scripture evolved and became canonized. It also examines the musical and aesthetic dimensions of the Sikh scripture, as well as ways in which the voluminous text has provided Sikhs with a social, ethical, spiritual and political message to help them respond to and shape the world around them.

No previous knowledge of Sikhi or religious studies is required. This course is part of the World Religions Through Their Scriptures XSeries Program.

What you'll learn

● Exploration of a foundational Sikh text, the Japji, which was composed by Guru Nanak and is recited by Sikhs as part of their morning prayers
● Gurmat Sangit, the Sikh musical tradition, as represented in the Sikh scripture and its cultural context
● The political dimensions of Sikh scripture and its impact on the evolution of Sikhs as a Panth or community

I would urge all to take this course. I have enrolled myself in.

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
Well, the course started today... What are your first impressions of the course content?

From a cursory look, the content seems to be greatly influenced by Sant Singh Khalsa translations as it is essentially using Christian terminology...

A_seeker

Writer
SPNer
Jun 6, 2018
Well, the course started today... What are your first impressions of the course content?

From a cursory look, the content seems to be greatly influenced by Sant Singh Khalsa translations as it is essentially using Christian terminology...
Maybe it might be funded by 3Ho followers as some of them are already professors at Harvard.Also it seems very introductory type of course.It will suit those who are new to sikhism.
The JApji translation is too literal and not as per Tat Gurmat .Overall disappointing.

sukhsingh

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2012
UK
Maybe it might be funded by 3Ho followers as some of them are already professors at Harvard.Also it seems very introductory type of course.It will suit those who are new to sikhism.
The JApji translation is too literal and not as per Tat Gurmat .Overall disappointing.
Does it matter if it is funded by 3ho . Who would you recommend funding such a project?

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Does it matter if it is funded by 3ho . Who would you recommend funding such a project?

No, it is not funded by 3HO although the SGGS anniversary held at the San Jose Gurdwara last week was partly sponsored by 3HO where Gurmustuk Singh of Sikhnet also talked.

I happen to know 2 out of 3 people who have arranged this course where JanamSakhis are given more importance than Gurbani. I have been talking to him since day 1 about the flaws of the course like Guru Nanak being a Prophet when there is no such thing in Sikhi. Thankfully, as per them, it has been removed which may be too late as that was the first day of the course.

Then the course is also based on JanamSakhis which cannot be verified through Gurbani. For me, JanamSakhis to Sikhi are akin to the blood sucking tick on a dog. They distort Sikhi rather than enlightening us about anything. Many kathavaachaks till today, insert JanamSakhis in their Gurmat Kathas which is uncalled for.

As 90% of the enrollees are non-Sikhs out of almost 200,000, it seems that this course is very good for those who are aliens to Sikhi.

sukhsingh

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2012
UK
No, it is not funded by 3HO although the SGGS anniversary held at the San Jose Gurdwara last week was partly sponsored by 3HO where Gurmustuk Singh of Sikhnet also talked.

I happen to know 2 out of 3 people who have arranged this course where JanamSakhis are given more importance than Gurbani. I have been talking to him since day 1 about the flaws of the course like Guru Nanak being a Prophet when there is no such thing in Sikhi. Thankfully, as per them, it has been removed which may be too late as that was the first day of the course.

Then the course is also based on JanamSakhis which cannot be verified through Gurbani. For me, JanamSakhis to Sikhi are akin to the blood sucking tick on a dog. They distort Sikhi rather than enlightening us about anything. Many kathavaachaks till today, insert JanamSakhis in their Gurmat Kathas which is uncalled for.

As 90% of the enrollees are non-Sikhs out of almost 200,000, it seems that this course is very good for those who are aliens to Sikhi.
I don't think only 3ho can be accused of 'distorting' sikhi. Moreover my understanding is that they refer only to purataan janam sakhis and have also stated that the curriculum is not about right or wrong but about taking a rational approach to understanding how certain issues are contested. So far I think it has been pretty balanced and objective?

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
This line caught my eye.
" It also examines the musical and aesthetic dimensions of the Sikh scripture..."
The musical aspect has always been mysterious to me and honestly, very few seem to understand it.
As for who is sponsoring it, lurking in the background, as long as they keep to Siri Guru Granth Sahib ji, I don't think they'll go far wrong.
Sakhis are another matter entirely.

sukhsingh

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2012
UK
Taking a rational approach with irrational janam sakhis ... :confusedmunda:
From what I have seen so far they make clear that it is not about calling things rational or irrational but rather understanding how and why particular narratives have become prominent and hence contested.. I think that if as they claim to provide a scientific academic framework to consider these issues that can only be a good thing

sukhsingh

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2012
UK
I don't place much value on janam sakhi myself but to disregard the importance placed on them and not trying to understand why they have become relevant seems obtuse..

Simranjit

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2017
Barcelona
I'm new to Sikhi ( My journey started a bit more than one year ago) and the course is helping me to start developing some kind of "knowledge frame" from which I hope I can develop later my own vision. I'm very happy that some people here are taking the course and commenting it. Your different lenses will help me to look look at the course from different perspectives.

Do they? I didn't notice. Is it that I'm so used to it that I even don't notice it? Would you mind sharing an example?

Why is "too literal" that bad? Wouldn't be worst that the translator translated according to their own interpretation? I'm asking because as someone unable (yet :) ) to read Gurbani in Punjabi, and given that the general opinion is that the English transations (which are the ones I read) are quite bad, I'm concern about the issue.
(And by the way I have been unable so far to find any books to learn Punjabi in Barcelona, not even in online shops, any ideas? (apart from online courses which I don't completely like to learn languages))

I see that in here in general Janam Sakhis are not regarded as reliable sources while in the course they mention the Puran Janam Sakhi as worth taking into account. As far as I understand they see these texts as ways to understand how people viewed Guru Nanak ( "Some of the material, such as the janamsakhis, which is often dismissed as "hagiographic," helps us situate Guru Nanak in a specific context and understand how his contemporaries viewed him.").
Could someone explain a bit more about this controversy?
What about the Varan?

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
As far as I understand they see these texts as ways to understand how people viewed Guru Nanak

Sometimes I get to hear stories from other people about some of the crazy things I did in my younger years, in the 20 years since they took place, the stories, whilst still containing the basic events, end up quite far from the truth, and to be honest, although they make a good story, and a funny story, do not really encapsulate what happened or how people viewed me, so how reliable stories that have been doing the rounds for 500 years are,is open to debate

Simranjit

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2017
Barcelona
@Simranjit An Introduction to the Sacred Language of the Sikhs | Christopher Shackle | Academic Room Free download of a book about learning the language as used in SGGSJ rather than modern Punjabi.

Thanks, Ishna! I'm so, happy!!

Sometimes I get to hear stories from other people about some of the crazy things I did in my younger years, in the 20 years since they took place, the stories, whilst still containing the basic events, end up quite far from the truth, and to be honest, although they make a good story, and a funny story, do not really encapsulate what happened or how people viewed me, so how reliable stories that have been doing the rounds for 500 years are,is open to debate

Oh, I see that I should take things coming from the Sakhis with much more than a pinch of salt . Thanks!
So, would you say that the SGGS is the only source from which one can get an understanding of who where the Gurus and what were their teachings?

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Thanks, Ishna! I'm so, happy!!

Oh, I see that I should take things coming from the Sakhis with much more than a pinch of salt . Thanks!
So, would you say that the SGGS is the only source from which one can get an understanding of who where the Gurus and what were their teachings?

well, personally, I think Mool Mantra is a pretty good summary of their teachings, regarding who they were, again, personally, I do not consider that to be of any importance.

Zafarnamah

SPNer
Nov 28, 2009
I am writing to clear up some misconceptions.

1. This course is not funded by the 3HO or any other organization. It is funded by Harvard and Harvard does not accept external funding to promote a certain ideology.

2. The course does not use Sant Singh Khalsa's translation. The course team translated each and every composition into idiomatic English and wrote detailed commentaries. Clearly, those making this assertion haven't bothered to even look at the translations and commentaries.

3. If you want to learn about the course's theoretical approach to Janamsakhis, you can read about it in the essay in the first session, "Guru Nanak and the Foundations of Sikhism."

The texts under consideration are literary texts that can be historicized by considering their provenance, epigraphic evidence and intertextuality. We are interested in mapping the interaction between text and context in the literary as well as the historical. We don't treat texts as reflections moving in one direction, from the real to the unreal. Instead, we examine texts as agents of history that, both, reflect existing realities and create new ones. As the American Indologist, Ronald Inden has noted, texts should be seen both as articulating the world in which they are situated and as articulated by it: that is, as integral to the makeup of one another. Some of the material, such as the janamsakhis, which is often dismissed as "hagiographic," helps us situate Guru Nanak in a specific context and understand how his contemporaries viewed him. Guru Nanak's own writings recorded in Guru Granth Sahib provide us with a great deal of insight into how he saw the social environment around him and the ways in which he responded to it--his account of and response to Babur's invasion is a good example. In this sense, Guru Nanak's text is not just a reflection of the world in which he lived, it is also an intervention to change it.​

Finally, this is an academic course and reflects a highly rigorous approach to study Sikhi. Students from 128 countries are taking this course and it is one of the most successful projects attempted to spread awareness about Sikhs and Sikhi. The course has come under assault from RSS members and we are witnessing the participation of some trolls in the course message boards.

Logical Sikh

Writer
SPNer
Sep 22, 2018
lol,

About this course

What you'll learn

lol, i enrolled but i forgot

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM