• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Learn Punjabi Do U Now The Difference Beetwen Punjabi And Hindi?

Feb 6, 2012
Zürich
Satsriakal.

i whoud like to know the difference between Punjabi and Hindi?

i know that they use a different scripture. but alot of words are a same.
so i like to know whats the difference, and how much it is different.

do they understand each other?

thanks for the answers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
PUNJABI rules WEST of Sutlej..............all the way to Derrah Khyber Indus....
Hindi begins East of Yamuna....Uttar Pardesh and Madh Pardesh... along the Ganga plains..
Punjabi has among its sons Sikhs Hindus and Muslims...it straddles Pakistan and India..
Hindi is 99.9% Hindu sons...
Punjabi and Hindi understand each other about as much as Bhaiyah can understand a Punjabi Jatt..
Punjabi and Hindi are about as "alike" as a Bhaiyah and a Punjabi and differ just as much...
PUNJABI now also RULES the WEST..like in Canada ...British Columbia and is the 10th largets language in the world..
HINDI has been sat on the throne of Delhi even though it has no place in much of India including Gujerat Maharahstra, South India, East India, Bengal orrissa, etc etc..its Indias national language.
Hindi is Female while Punjabi is MALE....Mardanna Language...
Many others will add to these few points..written in the simialr vein to the questions asked by the original poster...our Hindi experts will give a better perspective...( I cant read Hindi bt cna understand the lingo called HINDOSTANI but NOT the heavily Sanskritised verison used in India's Govt papers/courts/radio TV etc.

Feb 6, 2012
Zürich
Thank U for the informations and sharing our knowledge with me.

what is Hindostani??? i never heard about it...
is it more similar to Punjabi or Hindi?

thank u so much Gyani Jarnail Singh Ji for our Informations.
Pritam Singh

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Hindostani is actually the DEFACTO AAM aadmis spoken language in Inida..nearly every Indian can understand and speak Hindostani....its a mixture of Hindi+Urdu+Punjabi mainly and a smattering of words from biharee, bengali, gujerati, marathi, telugu, tamil etc etc..thats why its universally spoken in India..its the Language used inmost Bollywood Films...Hindostani should be the National language...but its not ..

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
what is Hindostani??? i never heard about it...
is it more similar to Punjabi or Hindi?

Common hindustani language is what we speak in India.It is a mix of Hindi,Urdu ,English ,and some words from Punjabi or any other local language.This language is not found in books or even taught as subject

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
Punjabi isn't just a sikh's language as a lot of younger youth sometimes believe.

Alot of youth's find it difficult to understand that Pakistani muslims can be punjabi not just indian sikhs.
It is defined by the geographical area and you have to remember that Punjab is on the India side as well as Pakistan side. Infact the Pakistan side has 36 districts whereas India has only 22!!!
I know alot of youth find it weird that a muslim claims to be punjabi, but you should be able to understand this a little better knowing the territorial regions.

The language anywhere from punjab regions sound similar with varying dialects and accents. But a punjabi from the indian side has no problem communicating/understanding punjabi from the west or pakistan side.

Feb 6, 2012
Zürich
Cool.
Thx a lot for the helpful informations.

@ Luckysingh: yes poeple most time forgot that there is a Pakistan site Punjab...

Whats about Shahmukhi??? did punjabis in India also use/learn Shahmukhi?
because the leader of the Sikh Community here in Swizerland is a Sardar from Kashmir
and he read the punjab online news papers always in a scripture that looks like Urdu...
i ask him and he told me that it is Punjabi...

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
As far as I know but I may be wrong.
Imagine that punjabi is the spoken language. We can infact now write it in english using english alphabet for us here in the west.

In the same way spoken punjabi is written acccording to terrotorial regions.

Most of pakistan side write the shahmuki whereas the india side write the gurmukhi translation called punjabi.
So the shahmuki is written using the urdu alphabet., but read out and spoken in punjabi.

I'm not very sure, but I believe that back in the day-our grandparents, parents lets say were mostly educated in shamuki as it was more widespread.

I'm aware that my Grandfather could only read the shahmuki and not the written punjabi. Likewise the sardar you know from Kashmir.

Hope this explains it a bit clearer and it makes abit more sense.

Gurfateh

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Just a fact that there are many times more Punjabi speaking people in Pakistan than all of India!

Punjabi is under attack in Pakistan as well with more Arabic use of Urdu rather than Punjabi/Shahmukhi just like in India where Badal ji (Punjabi and Chief Minister of Punjab) would often speak in Hindi. All this being considered more fashionable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ASH8SD8gMZ4

See more Gurmeet Bawa in Video section (Punjabi)

kharo Doli Na + Pardes Baithi Amiye ni + Aaja Ve Aaja (Part 2) - Chanchalji in Paharganj - YouTube

Following copy,

Remember if a census were held tomorrow most people in this video will claim to be Hindi speaking. This is how Punjab was destroyed during sub-division where people (mostly Hindus in Himachal, Haryana) lied about their language and destroyed Punjab.

Sat Sri Akal.

Last edited:

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
IF you watch Pakistani Videos on You-tube ( example a very good comedy show called Khabarnaak !!) you will notice the characters talking in shudh PUNJABI and the hosts will repeatedly instruct them to..URDU BOLLOH..speak in URDU....!! and the speakers will then begin saying Hum Tum and revert abck to Punjabi becasue its their Natural MOTHER TONGUE while URDU is being imposed artificially just as HINDI is being imposed artificially in India...

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
IF you watch Pakistani Videos on You-tube ( example a very good comedy show called Khabarnaak !!) you will notice the characters talking in shudh PUNJABI and the hosts will repeatedly instruct them to..URDU BOLLOH..speak in URDU....!! and the speakers will then begin saying Hum Tum and revert abck to Punjabi becasue its their Natural MOTHER TONGUE while URDU is being imposed artificially just as HINDI is being imposed artificially in India...

Oct 29, 2010
Some interesting information about origins of Punjabi appear in a book by GS Sidhu ‘Panjab and Panjabi’. The writer considers that the language was there well before the Sikh gurus and compares the words in Punjabi and Rig Veda, Prakrit, Sanskrit, and even English (Latin). The SPN system does not allow me to upload the pdf file with the chart showing the lineage of Punjabi. I shall try again later.

Recently a document shows Punjabi inscription at a Baku Temple Azerbaijan along with Nagrik script. The researcher Bhai Harpal Singh Kasoor claims that Punjabi language was either invented or available to Guru Nanak – and that it was used in writing his pothis. See the link below:
http://www.avesta.org/modi/baku.htm[/FONT]

Attachments

• punjabi lineage jpeg exp.jpg
    punjabi lineage jpeg exp.jpg
    221.7 KB · Reads: 400
Last edited:

panj

SPNer
Mar 20, 2012
both are codes, hindi followed by a majority and punjabi followed by a minority. yes, both codes have similarities.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM