• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

FAQs Do Sikhs Eat Meat?

Caspian

SPNer
Mar 7, 2008
That is HAZOOR SAHIB..NOT SIKHISM !!

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, then it must be a duck :p
I get how those people may be part of a different sect of Sikhism. But i wouldnt say "thats not sikhism" or "They are not sikhs" cuz they sure believe they are sikhs :p.

Im wondering whats there justification for that?

Bmandur

SPNer
May 15, 2008
Canada
Oh My GOD ,"How the Devil they can do that" I am Shock!

This is first time I am watching and I am sick to see. Which Gurudwara is it and What does the SGP is doing about it.

Alive Goat they just cut it and took ithe head of Goat to the Gurudwara

Where are the Akaal Takhat Jathedar's:happykaur:

Hardip Singh

SPNer
Jan 14, 2009
i dont get it, why the goat sacrifice? where does that come from?

This is an age old practise followed by Khatris or warriors section of the old Hindu society. Its basically applying Tilsk on the shsatars. The local resident Sikhs at Hazoor Sahib are from the families of army men of GGS jee and are basically Khatris and hence this act. this has nothing to do with the Sikhism . For more clarifications, their is a thread on this topic at SPN. Pl read that too.

Caspian

SPNer
Mar 7, 2008
Well some sikhs say that you just cant eat meat that has been sacrificed in the name of god (hlal or kosher for example) but even in that case. Not only is this meat... but it seems like its meat sacrificed in the name of god lol. Its like twice as bad >.<

Hardip Singh

SPNer
Jan 14, 2009
Regarding the main topic of this thread whether Sikhs eat meat.
Sir, the basic classification of meat has been clarified by Guru Sahib in the shabad "Only the fools wrengle over the flush". Its better to go thro the thread posted by S. Randip Singh with the same title . first.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Oh My GOD ,"How the Devil they can do that" I am Shock!

This is first time I am watching and I am sick to see. Which Gurudwara is it and What does the SGP is doing about it.

Alive Goat they just cut it and took ithe head of Goat to the Gurudwara

Where are the Akaal Takhat Jathedar's:happykaur:

The Akal Takhat and other Takhat Jathedars were ALL together...all the time..in Hazoor sahib for the 400th Gurgadee celebration s of SGGS..in Fateh Divas to clebrate the DG and latest in a ROOM behind the Akal Takhat to excommunicate Singh Sahib Darshan Singh Ji....THEY ARE ALL TOGETHER all the time....so who do we call ?? did i hear..g h o s t b u s t e r s...???oh sure we do need some of those...There are even more SHOCKING happenings going on in the name of Sikhism....Time for REFORM..a New Singh Sabha Gurdwara Sudhaar Lehr is NOW.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
No You can not eat Meat if you are Truley Sikh of Guru Gobind Singh JI

Please do not post this sort of nonsense at SPN. This is not like other forums.

The Sikh Rehat Maryada is clear. It is up to individuals whether to eat meat or not.

-Gyani Maskeen ji ate meat
-Avtar Singh Brahma ate meat

Both true Sikhs of Guru Gobind Singh ji.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
That is HAZOOR SAHIB..NOT SIKHISM !!

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, then it must be a duck :p
I get how those people may be part of a different sect of Sikhism. But i wouldnt say "thats not sikhism" or "They are not sikhs" cuz they sure believe they are sikhs :p.

Im wondering whats there justification for that?

Let me elaborate.

There is a difference between culture and religion.

In Sikhism there is no restriction on eating meat, but there is a restriction on eating sacrificial meat.

What they are doing at Hazoor Sahib is a cultural tradition practiced by so called warrior castes called Shaster Tilak, blood annointment of weapons. It has nothing to do with Sikhism but is a tradition that pre-dates Sikhism as practiced by Hindu's from Warrior castes. Many Sikhs were from warrior castes.

There are many other rituals in Gurudwaras that have nothing to do with Sikhism, such as circum navigating the temples, or bowing 3 or 4 times, etc etc, but there it it. Culture is difficult to stop.

Hope that clears it up.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Well some sikhs say that you just cant eat meat that has been sacrificed in the name of god (hlal or kosher for example) but even in that case. Not only is this meat... but it seems like its meat sacrificed in the name of god lol. Its like twice as bad >.<

Actually They are not sacrificing in the name of God, they are saying Ardas, which is like GRace or Thanks.

This is exactly the same as Ardas over Langaar.

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
source: http://www.sikhs.org/meat.htm

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Misconceptions About Eating Meat[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]by Sandeep Singh Brar[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The view of Sikhism is that eating meat or abstaining from it is the individuals choice. A Sikh is considered no lesser or greater a Sikh if they eat meat or are a vegetarian.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Final Ruling from Akal Takht[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Akal Takht represents the final authority on controversial issues concerning the Sikh Panth, in this regard the issue of meat eating has been settled. Hukamnama issued by Akal Takht Jathedar Sandhu Singh Bhaura dated February 15th 1980 that Amritdhari Sikhs can eat meat as long as it is jhatka meat and that eating meat does not go against the code of conduct, Kurehit, of the Sikhs. Thus a Sikh cannot be excommunicated for eating meat.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Sikh Reht Maryada (The Official Code of Conduct)[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]An Amritdhari Khalsa Sikh is not allowed to eat the meat of an animal slaughtered the Muslim way.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In Punjabi the word "Kuttha" specifically means meat prepared according to the Muslim ritual slaughter.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Punjabi-English Dictionary, Punjabi University, Dept. of Punjabi Lexicography, Published Dec. 1994. "Kuttha: meat of animal or fowl slaughtered slowly as prescribed by Islamic law."[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Punjabi English Dictionary, Singh Bros., Amritsar "Kuttha: Tortured, killed according to Mohammedan law."[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]What is Jhatka Meat and Why?[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Jhatka meat is meat in which the animal has been killed quickly without suffering or religious ritual. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sikhism, A Complete Introduction, Dr. H.S.Singha & Satwant Kaur, Hemkunt Press[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]We must give the rationale behind prescribing jhatka meat as the approved food for the Sikhs. According to the ancient Aryan Hindu tradition, only such meat as is obtained from an animal which is killed with one stroke of the weapon causing instantaneous death is fit for human consumption. However, with the coming of Islam into India and the Muslim political hegemony, it became a state policy not to permit slaughter of animals for food, in any other manner, except as laid down in the Quran - the kosher meat prepared by slowly severing the main blood artery of the throat of the animal while reciting verses from the Quran. It is done to make slaughter a sacrifice to God and to expiate the sins of the slaughter. Guru Gobind Singh took a rather serious view of this aspect of the whole matter. He, therefore, while permitting flesh to be taken as food repudiated the whole theory of this expiatory sacrifice and the right of ruling Muslims to impose iton the non-Muslims. Accordingly, he made jhatka meat obligatory for those Sikhs who may be interested in taking meat as a part of their food.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sikhs and Sikhism, Dr. I.J.Singh, Manohar Publishers.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]And one semitic practice clearly rejected in the Sikh code of conduct is eating flesh of an animal cooked in ritualistic manner; this would mean kosher and halal meat. The reason again does not lie in religious tenet but in the view that killing an animal with a prayer is not going to enoble the flesh. No ritual, whoever conducts it, is going to do any good either to the animal or to the diner. Let man do what he must to assuage his hunger. If what he gets, he puts to good use and shares with the needy, then it is well used and well spent, otherwise not.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Why is Meat not served in Langar?[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The reason why meat is not served at langar in the Gurdwaras is because langar is supposed to be a symbol of equality of mankind where all people no matter what race, religion or caste can eat toghether in the atmosphere of brotherhood. Hindu, Sikh, Muslim, it does not matter who they are. Different religions have different dietary restrictions. Hindus cannot eat cow, muslims cannot eat pork and will only eat halal meat. Jews will only eat kosher meat, others cannot eat fish or eggs. But in a gurdwara langar, it does not matter what their dietary taboos or religious beliefs are, the food is designed so that all can eat together and no one will be offended or not be able to partake of the meal.[/FONT]

Mar 10, 2010
I have heard people describe jhatka as killing painlessly with one stroke. In countries like the UK, the chances of being able to kill an animal with a kirpan or something with one swift blow to the neck, everytime you want meat, are pretty slim. So is it still considered jhatka if the animal has been killed in a slaughterhouse? I've seen animal slaughter on TV and it doesn't look swift and although there is only one cut, the animal is still given an electric shock or is hit with a bolt gun before the actual slaughter, so it may still be painless, but is that kind of meat still allowed for Sikhs?

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
baljeet singhji

You will probably like the thread Fools Who Wrangle over Flesh. We have several threads on jatkha also that would be interesting reading. Enjoy enjoy

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
gursikh ji

The Sikh Rehat Maryada only says that amritdhari Sikhs should not eat meat slaughtered in the halal way. There are other rehats that forbid meat to the baptized Sikh, but not the Sikh Rehat Maryada.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM