• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Did I Do Something Wrong? Kirpan Legal Issues

Kellysingh

SPNer
Sep 28, 2011
recently as iv posted else were i got charged with carryin concealed weapon for my kirpan, it was a straight dagger with double edge, which is illegal in my state. now normal kirpans i seen on most sikh of being from 3-9inches total and sharp on one end are legal. Anyway, i was put in jail and bond out. well i got help from united sikhs and aclu. but i also had a court appointed attorney to. well united sikh told me call them if i was offered a plea. so i did. well they didnt reply till couple hours later. mean while 2 hr earlier i was in court and offered a plea of just a 200 dollar fine and the issue would be over with so i informed sikh. needless to say they are kinda upset with me. Did i do something wrong?? i was lookin at 1-5 years in prison for this illegal double blade i used for my kirpan. also i fighting my ex for custody of my little one.. so i weighed it all out in thought and took the plea. united sikh said does that mean your gonna stop wearing kirpan?? i said no. he said united sikh are for not just person but sikh community. In my opinion, i made the right choice becuase i had to weigh my options and choices. i think i did right and am still a good sikh.

Kellysingh

SPNer
Sep 28, 2011
when i first wrote this post i was angry.. which is a bad vice. I realize now i was reckless. i have my kirpan with me at all times but i will not wear it out because until i FUlly understand sggs and the message the gurus taught, i refuse to wear it out of the house. i realize i was not only reckless but very reckless and more then likely did more harm then good to sikh faith, and for that i am ashamed of, i hurt the faith i was learning about and felt drawn to. hopefully yall as a community can forgive me for being reckless and hope i wasnt the only one who has made this mistake. i guess i was over excited or zealous, im not sure which. but again im sorry to waheguru,and my fellow brother and sister sikhs.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Its all a learning curve, no apology needed, good to see you have dealt with your anger, welcome back brotherkaurhug

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM