• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...
    Sign up Log in

India Delhi Gang Rape Victim Headed For Singapore


1947-2014 (Archived)
Jun 17, 2004
Delhi gang rape case: Victim shifted out of Safdarjung hospital, headed for Singapore


NEW DELHI: The 23-year-old gang rape victim, who is battling for life for the past 10 days at Safdarjung hospital, was shifted and headed to a hospital in Singapore.

Safdarjung hospital sources said the physiotherapy student was being shifted to Singapore. The name of the hospital was not known immediately.

Sources said the girl, who is on ventilator support since she was admitted to Safdarjung hospital on December 16 after she was gang raped in a moving bus in South Delhi, was being taken in a special chartered plane.

PCR vans escorted the ambulance from Safdarjung hospital. P K Verma, ICU incharge of Safdarjung hospital, said he cannot make any comments on the matter.

"I will not say anything on this," he said.

Official sources said passport and Singapaore visa for the girl and some of her family members who will accompany her in the air ambulance was handed over to her tonight after it was facilitated by the external affairs ministry.

The sources said the Indian high commission in Singapore has been asked by the government here to render all assistance for the girl.

The sources said it was the decision of doctors attending on her to shift the girl abroad for specialized treatment.

Asked after a Union Cabinet meeting whether the victim could be taken abroad for treatment, finance minister P Chidambaram earlier in the day said she is not in a condition to move but it all depends on doctors.

The girl, who was rushed to Safdarjung Hospital on December 16, underwent two major and one minor surgeries in the past 10 days during which major part of intestine was removed.

The victim has been on ventilator for majority of her stay in the hospital, except for two days when she was taken off ventilator and started breathing on her own.

Despite the violence that she underwent, the girl was "physiologically fit and sound" with doctors calling her a very brave girl who was concerned about her future.

During her 10-day stay in the ICU of the hospital, the girl was administered plasma-rich platelets and blood to keep her vital parameters stable.

The victim's father said the family has not been informed where the girl is being taken and that they were just told to board the aircraft.

"We don't know anything. We don't know where we are going. All we have been told is we are going abroad. Me, my wife and the entire family is going with her (the girl)," he said. The entire family are being flown to Singapore with the victim.

The condition of the victim deteriorated last night as her pulse rate reduced considerably but it recovered soon.

She, however, continues to be critical but stable, doctors attending on her said today. She continues to be on ventilator support in the ICU.

The medical bulletin on her health by the doctors at Safdarjung hospital, where she is being treated, was postponed twice as top heart specialists attended on her.

According to sources, her condition had deteriorated late last night as she had suffered from "bradycardia", with her pulse rate reducing, but she recovered within minutes.

Sources said her pulse rate has suddenly reduced to below 50 per minute but recovered within five minutes.

"Her condition continues to be critical but stable," a senior doctor said while confirming her bradycardia condition last night.

Top health specialists, including Naresh Trehan, were attending on the girl and held consultations with the panel of doctors looking into her health condition.

The medical bulletin on the victim's health was to be issued at 4.30pm but it was postponed to 6.30pm, only to be put off again by the hospital administration.

Senior health officials, including the Director General of Health Services, held consultation with doctors attending on her.

The victim, whom doctors described as "psychologically composed and optimistic about future", had shown signs of improvement during treatment but her condition worsened late last night after her pulse rate plummetted for a brief period.

The paramedical student was gang raped and brutally assaulted allegedly by six youth, including a minor, in a moving bus in south Delhi on December 16 night and her male friend was badly beaten up when he tried to protect her. They had boarded the bus from Munirka area at around 9:15 pm.

Eager to live and see that her rapists punished, she had recorded her statement twice -- first time on December 21 before Sub Divisional Magistrate and December 24 before metropolitan magistrate.

The second statement was necessitated after Delhi chief minister Sheila Dikshit alleged that police "interfered" with the process of recording of victim's statement.

"I want to live...Have they been caught," she had asked her mother.

Brother Onam

Jul 11, 2012
What a terrible crime. It is not an easy time nor place to be female. With low-lifes and ravening wolves like this on the loose, ready to act out their very basest impulses. My heartfelt prayers go to this poor sister who was thus brutalized by these cowards. At the same time this horror takes place against innocent girls and women in a systematic way in Congo every day, and it seems there is no sanctuary for our blessed sisters.
I beg that we as Sikhs redouble our devotions to reflect the divinity in our women and let Sikhi be a true refuge against both sexual violence as well as any discrimination towards females. The scriptures repeatedly affirm: "Gurdev Mata"; the Lord Himself dwells within our mothers. The lower the conduct of the low-lifes and non-believers, the higher ought we distinguish ourselves as sons and daughters of the Naam.
May this poor woman achieve a full recovery after falling into the hands of these beasts.



📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: