• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Defining A Sikh

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
What is a Sikh?
Is their mind-state a danger to civilized nations?

So, what is a Sikh (correctly pronounced as you would say the word “sick,” which means “to learn” in its native language) or an individual who has endeavoured to undertake the path of Sikhie?

Well, he accepts the universe, cause and effect, and all known and unknown as the “will” of The Great Architect. When awake, she attempts to keep the idea of The Eternal Commander and Chief within the time and space of consciousness. With the five weapons of virtue (compassion, truth, contentment, love and humility) he attempts to battle the five thieves (lust, anger, attachment, selfish ego and greed).

And through meditation, logical contemplation, song, prayer or loving repetition of “The Naam,” she attempts to seek The Formless One (to develop a personal relationship), and the universal principles such as the law of karma and heaven.

That all said, with reason and knowledge he attempts to enslave passion and prejudice. Employing the tools of honesty, she attempts to make a living. In humility, he attempts to aid the unseen and the weak (in body, mind and soul). With understanding she attempts to treat all as a brother, sister, father or mother regardless of religion, colour, class, nation, age or creed. Detached from Maya (detached from the material world and the material senses as best as can be done) he attempts to be. And without compromising, she values and attempts to seek the company of the holy, the truth, knowledge, justice, equality, freedom and love for the family, the community and all of humanity.

To further build on the template given above, the Sikh state of mind is selfless, curious, critical, creative, artistic, active, logical, moral and intelligent. The Sikh state of mind harbours beliefs that encourage physical prowess. And against all odds, the Sikh state of mind strives to become “Miri-Piri:” a spiritual and earthly influence.

Of the mentioned attributes, the two most important dimensions of a Sikh would have to be the battle to enslave the mind’s five thieves so as to allow the better half of the mind’s duality to dominate thoughts and actions, and the struggle to detach from Maya. The battle to chain the five thieves and detachment from Maya are most important because they’re the agents and the influences that readily block the mind from appreciating the remaining attributes of a Sikh. In addition, they deny the ultimate goal of the secular, liberation, to be dead (liberated in consciousness) but yet alive; to be united with The Primal Energy and still have mortal life. An idea termed “Jivan Mukti.”

Mike Bhangu,
Merritt

http://www.merrittherald.com/opinion/191734571.html

BlazinSikh

SPNer
May 6, 2011
Croydon, London, England
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ke Fateh!

Nice article, but the question is who is a Sikh? What i mean is who can actually (placing their hands on SGGS) consider themselves to be a Sikh? Or has achieved Jivan Mukti?

Just curious...

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ke Fateh!

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
I think we are complicating this unnecessarily. Here is the definition of a Sikh from the Sikh Rehat Maryada, a document most Sikhs accept (or pretend to accept.)

T
he Definition of Sikh :

Article I
Any human being who faithfully believes in
i. One Immortal Being,
ii. Ten Gurus, from Guru Nanak Sahib to Guru Gobind Singh Sahib,
iii. The Guru Granth Sahib,
iv. The utterances and teachings of the ten Gurus and
v. the baptism bequeathed by the tenth Guru, and who does not owe allegiance to any other religion, is a Sikh

This, of course, defines the very minimum; we all need to strive for much, much more. I used to dislike this definition because it only includes belief, no action of any kind. I have changed my mind. It is better that we be inclusive and accept all who are on the road to Guru ji, not just those few Gursikhs who have actually achieved some measure of success.

In any event faithful belief will necessarily lead to action.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
I think we are complicating this unnecessarily. Here is the definition of a Sikh from the Sikh Rehat Maryada, a document most Sikhs accept (or pretend to accept.)

T

This, of course, defines the very minimum; we all need to strive for much, much more. I used to dislike this definition because it only includes belief, no action of any kind. I have changed my mind. It is better that we be inclusive and accept all who are on the road to Guru ji, not just those few Gursikhs who have actually achieved some measure of success.

In any event faithful belief will necessarily lead to action.

yes ji, i believe a sikh is someone who is 'seeking' god, and making 'efforts' to realise their true self. someone who looks around and doesnt accept that what they see, touch and hear is all that there is. An explorer of the the unknown, and explorer of the unseen.

Everyone on this forum who is asking questions, discussing God etc...we're all sikhs...at different steps of the ladder. A Puran khalsa being the highest ladder where one has reached the goal of self realisation/god realisation.

God bless

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM