• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Deal Or No Deal

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
And welcome to Deal or no Deal, and todays contestant is Mr Harry Haller.
answer each question on a scale of 1 to 10, your final score will then be worked out by a panel of experts (Alfie, dan and Virgil)

Box 1, How much do your insides reflect your outside 10
Box 2, How happy are you 8
Box 3, How much are you ruled by the five thieves 5
Box 4, How important to you is Maya 3
Box 5, How important to you is worship 0
Box 6, How important to you is Seva 8
Box 7, How important to you is charity 7
Box 8, How important to you is submission to Satnam 7
Box 9, How big a part of your life does being an ascetic play 2
Box 10, How big a part of your life is being manmukh 5
Box 11, How big a part of your life is being Gurmukh 5
Box 12, How important is attachment to you 4
Box 13, How important are other peoples view of you 0
Box 14, How important is another's pain , be it human or animal 8
Box 15, How important to you is the SRM 0
Box 16, How critical is the word of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji 10
Box 17 How closely do you follow the word of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji 4

The panel of experts has decided that if these numbers bring you happiness, then that is a hugely important factor, but your game will not be complete until you have the correct scores as defined by Guru, every day you get to play again, good luck,

I would be most interested in the scores of others, and also any questions I may have missed out

I would also be hugely interested in what forum members feel the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji dictates as the correct scores,

religion and understanding truth should not be a struggle, I think, it should be a pleasurable journey into the mind, into discovery, it should be exciting, it should get you through the bad times, and make the good times better, it should be like a branch for a drowning man, or a massive aloo prontha for a hungry man,

Have a great day jios

Scarlet Pimpernel

We seek him here,we sikh
Writer
SPNer
May 31, 2011
In the Self
Box 1, How much do your insides reflect your outside 10 Normal
Box 2, How happy are you 8 It's ok to be sad that is the start.
Box 3, How much are you ruled by the five thieves 5 more than you think.
Box 4, How important to you is Maya 3 remember it literally means Not That so be careful
Box 5, How important to you is worship Sum of Boxes 0 or sum of 6,7,8
Box 6, How important to you is Seva 8 This is worship
Box 7, How important to you is charity 7 and so I this
Box 8, How important to you is submission to Satnam 7 and so is this
Box 9, How big a part of your life does being an ascetic play 2 In your mind be one.
Box 10, How big a part of your life is being manmukh 5
Box 11, How big a part of your life is being Gurmukh 5 easily destroys 5 of Box 10
Box 12, How important is attachment to you 4 Be attached to Truth
Box 13, How important are other peoples view of you 0
Box 14, How important is another's pain , be it human or animal 8 This is worship
Box 15, How important to you is the SRM 0 No comment
Box 16, How critical is the word of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji 10 Essential is a better word
Box 17 How closely do you follow the word of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji 4 Underestimate

Veer Ji Sorry I did not give myself marks as I tend to be biased in anycase always towards myself. lol

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Box 1, How much do your insides reflect your outside 5
Box 2, How happy are you 8
Box 3, How much are you ruled by the five thieves 4 (where 1 is not much and 10 is totally)
Box 4, How important to you is Maya 2 (where 1 is not much and 10 is totally)
Box 5, How important to you is worship 10 (being rememberance of Naam, trying to maintain chardi kala, and maintain the lifestyle of a Sikh - this is worship)
Box 6, How important to you is Seva 8
Box 7, How important to you is charity 8

ਤੀਰਥੁ ਤਪੁ ਦਇਆ ਦਤੁ ਦਾਨੁ
Ŧirath ṯap ḏa▫i▫ā ḏaṯ ḏān.
Pilgrimages, austere discipline, compassion and charity -
ਜੇ ਕੋ ਪਾਵੈ ਤਿਲ ਕਾ ਮਾਨੁ
Je ko pāvai ṯil kā mān.
these, by themselves, bring only an iota of merit.
ਸੁਣਿਆ ਮੰਨਿਆ ਮਨਿ ਕੀਤਾ ਭਾਉ
Suṇi▫ā mani▫ā man kīṯā bẖā▫o.
Listening and believing with love and humility in your mind,
ਅੰਤਰਗਤਿ ਤੀਰਥਿ ਮਲਿ ਨਾਉ
Anṯargaṯ ṯirath mal nā▫o.
cleanse yourself with the Name, at the sacred shrine deep within.

Box 8, How important to you is submission to Satnam 10
Box 9, How big a part of your life does being an ascetic play 2
Box 10, How big a part of your life is being manmukh 7
Box 11, How big a part of your life is being Gurmukh 4 (I'm working on it!)
Box 12, How important is attachment to you 2
Box 13, How important are other peoples view of you 1
Box 14, How important is another's pain , be it human or animal 9
Box 15, How important to you is the SRM 7
Box 16, How critical is the word of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji 10
Box 17 How closely do you follow the word of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji 4 (again, I'm working on it!)

Scarlet Pimpernel

We seek him here,we sikh
Writer
SPNer
May 31, 2011
In the Self
Isna Ji or Isi Misi Ji It's lovelly to be called brother, especially as I'm one of two boys, I have now one more 'Apna'.
I was referring to the origin of the word Maya Ma means not Ya means that I try to be mysterious and talk in semaphore,
In my words it is ' illusion' that which seems real but is not, it will have several definitions like money etc.I said be careful because sometimes you think you have contained her but she just changed forms.I'm no scholar but perhaps someone else may define as per Sikhi .
For Harry Ji about aescetism, I remember a story of an Aescetic who had a lovelly coat but apart from that lived simply, when he met King Janak and they both sat down to eat the King was informed by a servant that his storehouse had burned down, the Aescetic jumped up and said 'Oh no my coat!' So he had only thought he was not attached to Maya but was still attached to his property,while the King owned property but was not attached to any of it .

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Thanks for elabourating, Sinner ji. It is much appreciated. It is interesting to ponder your own level of attachment to things. Do you think Khalsa Sikhs are attached to their 5ks? Is that wrong, then? Is attachment to Sikhi wrong, too?

Me, I'm attached to SPN. :grinningsingh:

Scarlet Pimpernel

We seek him here,we sikh
Writer
SPNer
May 31, 2011
In the Self
Sisi Isi Nisi Misi Ji

I meant more the attachment to material things and worldliness in the sense that it is apart from God, I'm attached to my Parents ,wife,brother and children including Rocky pictured left , I might get over the familial attachment ,but the dogs gonna take some time yet lol

As for the 5K's almost all my Inlaws wear them with pride ,you should be attached to the one who gave them only.Attachment to Sikhi means attaching yourself to truth which is imperative and the essence of all faiths.

Attachments

• Rocky.jpg
    Rocky.jpg
    41.9 KB · Reads: 217

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
ਤੀਰਥੁ ਤਪੁ ਦਇਆ ਦਤੁ ਦਾਨੁ ॥
ਜੇ ਕੋ ਪਾਵੈ ਤਿਲ ਕਾ ਮਾਨੁ ॥

Je ko pāvai ṯil kā mān.
ਸੁਣਿਆ ਮੰਨਿਆ ਮਨਿ ਕੀਤਾ ਭਾਉ ॥
ਅੰਤਰਗਤਿ ਤੀਰਥਿ ਮਲਿ ਨਾਉ ॥

I suppose the above would be relevant to me if I were looking for merit, or for the actions to be noted, but I am not, as I personally believe the act in itself should be done for the right reason, not to ingratiate yourself with god, no offence intended, my view only

Scarlet Pimpernel

We seek him here,we sikh
Writer
SPNer
May 31, 2011
In the Self
Veera ofcourse you are right not to seek a merit award,but remember the context of the lines you have both quoted was 500 years ago and aimed first and foremost at those of that day ,who misbelieved that these things by themselves were deemed to have maan.Compassion is also described in numerous passages as being essential to a GurSikh and is a very big part of being a good human being.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Sisi Isi Nisi Misi Ji

I meant more the attachment to material things and worldliness in the sense that it is apart from God, I'm attached to my Parents ,wife,brother and children including Rocky pictured left , I might get over the familial attachment ,but the dogs gonna take some time yet lol

As for the 5K's almost all my Inlaws wear them with pride ,you should be attached to the one who gave them only.Attachment to Sikhi means attaching yourself to truth which is imperative and the essence of all faiths.

Veerji,

Interestingly, I feel attachment to anything, including god, can be dangerous, it turns people into fanatics

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Veera ofcourse you are right not to seek a merit award,but remember the context of the lines you have both quoted was 500 years ago and aimed first and foremost at those of that day ,who misbelieved that these things by themselves were deemed to have maan.Compassion is also described in numerous passages as being essential to a GurSikh and is a very big part of being a good human being.

Veerji,

I am of the opinion that nothing has changed in the last 500 years, the lifestyle choices and the way forward is exactly the same, you are still talking of seva for the sake of divine appeasement, or to assist in the gaining of enlightenment, whereas I am talking of seva for the sake of seva, although I am aware that this is contrary to what is written in the majority of the SGGS.

Scarlet Pimpernel

We seek him here,we sikh
Writer
SPNer
May 31, 2011
In the Self
Veer Ji you are older than me you should not be so polite to me,address me as Sinner or D'artagnan ,The Word is timeless in it's principle,it's interpretation may not be rigid,I feel it is saying that pilgramage has little merit on it's own, as pitted against the phenomenal power of belief in the naam (for me thats Truth).This passage is showing the emptiness of going on a pilgrimage against the living of within naam always.Quote Kehat Kabir hum buhut udaas ,theerath wada ke har ka daas.It always means do it for its own sake and because it is naturally right, take that as a given.You are not contrary to that because Holy Words never suggest you do a business deal of do a certain something and you get a certain something.

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Box 1, How much do your insides reflect your outside - 1
Box 2, How happy are you - 10
Box 3, How much are you ruled by the five thieves - 5
Box 4, How important to you is Maya - 2
Box 5, How important to you is worship - 10
Box 6, How important to you is Seva - 10
Box 7, How important to you is charity - 8
Box 8, How important to you is submission to Satnam - 9
Box 9, How big a part of your life does being an ascetic play - 7
Box 10, How big a part of your life is being manmukh - 9
Box 11, How big a part of your life is being Gurmukh - 1
Box 12, How important is attachment to you - 2
Box 13, How important are other peoples view of you - 5
Box 14, How important is another's pain , be it human or animal - 10
Box 15, How important to you is the SRM - 5
Box 16, How critical is the word of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji - 10
Box 17 How closely do you follow the word of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji - 2

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
ਤੀਰਥੁ ਤਪੁ ਦਇਆ ਦਤੁ ਦਾਨੁ ॥
ਜੇ ਕੋ ਪਾਵੈ ਤਿਲ ਕਾ ਮਾਨੁ ॥

Je ko pāvai ṯil kā mān.
ਸੁਣਿਆ ਮੰਨਿਆ ਮਨਿ ਕੀਤਾ ਭਾਉ ॥
ਅੰਤਰਗਤਿ ਤੀਰਥਿ ਮਲਿ ਨਾਉ ॥

I suppose the above would be relevant to me if I were looking for merit, or for the actions to be noted, but I am not, as I personally believe the act in itself should be done for the right reason, not to ingratiate yourself with god, no offence intended, my view only

Harry ji,

Guru Fateh.

The above verse from Jap means exactly what is in bold and written by you. Nothing more.

The verse is talking about the acts themselves and that they should be done for the right reasons. In other words, responsibilities are not accomplishments.

It is sad to say that many literal translations in English are not up to par of this beautiful poetry and time has nothing to do with what is said as Sinner ji claims in his post. Sikhi is the only way of life that did not stop in time and is based on pragmatism.

The above verse gives us the glimpse in history, modern psychology, people living their lives like the Epsilons of the Brave New World while loading themselves with Soma, and at the same time dwelling in me-ism. The lesson of this verse is very much for today and the kinds of lives we live.

It is naive to discard something that still is related to our everyday lives today just because it was written in different times- about 500 some years ago. And I am talking about the Gurbani in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, our only Guru.

Hence, the universal message of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is for all to savour because it updates our own mentality, mindset and values with time.

Sikhi is about learning, unlearning and relearning all the times.

Regards

Tejwant Singh

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Truth visible for creation 500 years ago is the same truth visible today. How much we can understand, see or grasp is always unique and personal.

We can all transport ourselves back five hundred years, I don't see a difference, do you! OK no pizza, internet, planes and ships, etc., etc.,

Have our,

• stomach's enlarged
  • our eyes brightened
  • our ears sharpened
  • our touching become more sensitive
  • or our senses of smell and taste changed
  • Have our brains expanded in mass
  • or we have become extremely more powerful personally in physical form
Folly of fools to confuse Truth/spirituality with time
Sorry not trying to offend just my thoughts.

Sat Sri Akal.

Scarlet Pimpernel

We seek him here,we sikh
Writer
SPNer
May 31, 2011
In the Self
Musketeers,and Musketeers in the making, I did qualify time was not an issue myself after realising it would draw attention, but I was trying to draw attention to the aspect of pilgrimage , by quoting Bhagat Kabir Ji who pointed out that it was not the place that was special but Hari ka daas which made it so.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Sinner ji

There is a certain amount of craft in how you are going about building arguments over some recent threads. You want to be careful that you are not perceived as searching for a "natural religion" as you described on a different thread. And at the same time be proselytizing for that point of view...for an as yet to be established religion...that undermines Sikhi.

That would be if it continues a violation of TOS. I think you mean well. However, things are starting to rattle me and other members. Sikhi is not an "any meaning is possible" "anything goes," " any interpretation" of a shabad is OK. Some sustained study of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji can be conducted, without having to read Professor Sahib Singh's darpan in Punjabi. Other members have done so and have reached very respectable levels of understanding, through study and dialog.

Having said that. Please consult some of our threads on Bhagat Kabir. You may have not got the full sense of some of the saloks that you mention. Than
ks.

Scarlet Pimpernel

We seek him here,we sikh
Writer
SPNer
May 31, 2011
In the Self
Spnadmin ,I only wish I was so crafty I don't even really know what Natural Religion is ,just had to respond because Harry is my friend here. Quote 'He who sees the Infinite in all things, sees God. He who sees the Ratio only, sees himself only’.(There is no Natural Religion, 1788)

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM