• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Culture And Symbolism

clarkejoey

SPNer
Oct 3, 2007
Belize City, Belize
All this time i've been floating around here with a beautiful black cat as my avatar... little knowing that it probly made some of you think of hard-drinking, money-controlled murderers of sikhs! :shock: Ouch! Why didn't somebody tell me!

So, as i retain my affinity for cats, i've simply changed colour, at least until i get a kesh going. Hope that's better, though maybe a brown cat would be most apt for me.

Any more cultural, linguistic or symbolic OOPSes i should look out for? :shutup: Sorry if i offended.

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
Don't worry about your faux pas. You have to look deeper than that and see your intentions. Just because some sick group of people called themselves Black Cats and murdered loads, doesn't mean a poor old black cat has to take the slack....lol

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Dalsingh and clarkejoey,

Question? What am I missing in this discussion? I have been doing a little research on the "Black Cats" -- and seems that if they are good or bad depends on one's political perspective. Some politicians hire "Black Cats" in the Punjab as a security force for protection against terrorists. Some 'Black Cats" seem to have become renegades.

So, what did clarkejoey ji do that was wrong? He is a person of color, and black suits him. Are the criticisms he has encountered insensitive to clarkejoey ji? He is probably a peacemaker by nature and wouldn't ask this question himself (only my guess).

What information can help me figure this out? and feel that tolerance will win out?

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
my answer

this whole black cat thing never came to my mind while on forum until I read this topic
so basically I think some ppeople are too obcessed with some typical topics and they tend to read unbetween lines and pics unecessarily

so no worry just chill

clarkejoey

SPNer
Oct 3, 2007
Belize City, Belize
Oops! Did i do a "can of worms?"

Nobody chastised me or anything; i simply found out that there was a meaning for "Black Cat" that was not at all nice, and i didn't want any chance of a possibility of being insensitive or associating myself with those particular black cats.:eek:

So it was on my own authority i changed the puss. But... my hair is growing in nicely, and i hope to post the perfect avatar real soon.

As for me... i looo-ve cats.:up:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM