• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Canada Critics Fear Billboard Portraying Sikh Massacre Could Incite Violence

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada

Critics fear billboard portraying Sikh massacre could incite violence

image.jpg

CTV British Columbia
Published Friday, June 21, 2013 10:17PM PDT
Last Updated Friday, June 21, 2013 10:44PM PDT

A billboard on the Queensborough Bridge that displays a disturbing image of the 1984 Sikh massacre is drawing complaints from citizens concerned the message may incite violence.

The Khalsa Diwan Society in New Westminster paid $2,000 for the ad, which depicts an elderly Sikh man being beaten by Indian police next to the caption: “Sikhs remember 1984 genocide.”

Temple spokesman Sukhpreet Singh told CTV News the billboard was intended to remind people of the violence committed against innocent Sikhs after Indian Prime Minister Indira Gandhi was murdered by her Sikh bodyguards.

Mob violence broke out just hours later and lasted four days. By the end, thousands were killed in racial attacks.

“We believe it’s time to really put the pressure on the Indian government to send the message that we have not forgotten the genocide. We stand with the victims, and we still demand justice 29 years later,” said Singh.

But some worry the content of the message is too extreme, and potentially dangerous. Most official accounts cite the 1984 massacre as motivation for Sikh terrorists in B.C.

Duncan resident Inderjit Singh Reyat was convicted of making the bomb that detonated aboard Air India Flight 182 the following year, killing 329 people in June 1985.

The violence continued in India, leading Dr. Sadhu Madhar to flee the country for Canada.

“My colleagues and my fellow writers, some of them were killed,” said Madhar, who worries about the impact the billboard could have. “It can incite communal feelings in some persons who do not know the whole context.”

Radio India host Gurpreet Singh believes temples should focus on spreading peace.

"We have good Canadian stories, we can bring the South Asians together rather than create divisions," he said.

The Khalsa Diwan Society insists the billboard is not a call for revenge, but a plea for justice. Though 442 people have reportedly been convicted in the massacre, some believe there are still perpetrators who haven’t been held responsible.

The sign is on New Westminster property and the city receives part of the ad revenue. Officials confirmed they have received complaints, and will be holding meetings in the coming days to decide whether to take it down.

With a report from CTV British Columbia’s Jon Woodward

source:
http://bc.ctvnews.ca/critics-fear-billboard-portraying-sikh-massacre-could-incite-violence-1.1337040

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
I have been holding off asking for insights. Is someone able in a very specific say, backed with any level of evidence, to explain how the billboard would incite violence in New Westminster Canada? Is this another pitch by the usual suspects? Or more Singh on Singh controversy?

Canada is supposed to be an icon of rationality. Or so I am told. Why would things suddenly be different?

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
I have been holding off asking for insights. Is someone able in a very specific say, backed with any level of evidence, to explain how the billboard would incite violence in New Westminster Canada? Is this another pitch by the usual suspects? Or more Singh on Singh controversy?

Canada is supposed to be an icon of rationality. Or so I am told. Why would things suddenly be different?

Exactly. By whom? Sometimes TV stations/newspapers try to incite these things by spreading misinformation.

Where did CTV get the information from?

But some worry the content of the message is too extreme, and potentially dangerous. Most official accounts cite the 1984 massacre as motivation for Sikh terrorists in B.C.

Who are these some who worry? What are their names? And where are these called official accounts? Please share them with us.

Duncan resident Inderjit Singh Reyat was convicted of making the bomb that detonated aboard Air India Flight 182 the following year, killing 329 people in June 1985.

What is this to do with the 1984 riots? The above was a plea bargain because Rayat refused to lie to the Canadian government who wanted him to admit that the two innocent people, who spent 5 years of their precious lives in the Canadian Jails were behind the Air India bombing. The justice was done and eventually the two were released but sadly Rayat got the short end of the stick for nothing.

Having said that, we know there is a lot of Sikh population in Canada. I was surprised that the intellectulistas of the Sikh society were absent from the Canadian newpapers' editorials and TV station reminding the people what actually took place and demanding for justice for this holocaust.

Silent voices are useless because they only happen in the gallows of mind.

Tejwant Singh

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Radio India host Gurpreet Singh believes temples should focus on spreading peace.

"We have good Canadian stories, we can bring the South Asians together rather than create divisions," he said.

why would the search for truth create divisions?

Why cannot all South Asians come together for justice?

This is not about Hindu against Sikh, this is about righting a wrong, be it against Sikh, Hindu, Muslim or Christian.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

why would the search for truth create divisions?

Why cannot all South Asians come together for justice?

This is not about Hindu against Sikh, this is about righting a wrong, be it against Sikh, Hindu, Muslim or Christian.

Because something tells me that this story is not about events, but about motivations. Somehow the event was co-opted, and along with it its educational value. Taken at face-value the billboard is legitimate speech in Canada. So why does the story concern itself less with the billboard content and more with X, Y and Z's reaction to it. This sentence possibly tells the story behind the "story."

"But some worry the content of the message is too extreme, and potentially dangerous. Most official accounts cite the 1984 massacre as motivation for Sikh terrorists in B.C."

Who is some ??? What kind of news article says someone said something about someone and can claim to be "news?" And then use the "law of ambiguity" to connect "something" to some " Sikh terrorists in B.C." We, in the US, had the same "someone" is up to "something" related to "some bad guys" in the Sikh Community in the Sikh Caucus news coverage too!

People can come together for peace in any community, but they have to want to do it. Who are the someones who will be incited? Who says so? This has the fingerprints, now it is my turn lol, of several well-known "someones" all over it.

Last edited:

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
"But some worry the content of the message is too extreme, and potentially dangerous. Most official accounts cite the 1984 massacre as motivation for Sikh terrorists in B.C."

I would wager it is the good Dr Bikram Lamba

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
or his wife

Gurjeet Lamba
Jun. 23, 2013
12:11 PM

What about billboard for Air India Victims? We all know 331 innocents died in Air India bombing by Khalistanis militants and most were Canadians. We all know Inderjit Singh Reyat is only one person who was convicted for 331 murders. What about billboard for justice for Air India Victims? Who is hiding the bombers of Air India? Is it not injustice? I strongly feel this billboard is a calculated mischief, just two days before the anniversary of Air India bombing (June 23rd). Canada has declared JUne 23rd as "NATIONAL DAY OF REMEMBRANCE FOR VICTIMS OF TERRORISM." The sponsor of the bill board is 'Charity' (tax exempt), so this is misuse of charity funds to make political statements.

Read more: http://bc.ctvnews.ca/critics-fear-b...could-incite-violence-1.1337040#ixzz2X4Tbv6DV

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: