• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Cream Of Mushroom Soup

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
Mushroom%20Soup%20delux.jpg

Please throw out that Campbell's version of cream of mushroom soup. True, it's a comfort food from childhood, but has almost nothing in common with the real thing. It's not really that much more work either. I am giving two versions, the very easiest, then, the very best.

I have a baby crockpot that I use instead of the saucepan. It has the advantage that I can go off and leave it once all the ingredients are combined.

Both recipes make about 2-3 servings. The recipes can be doubled or made as much as you like.

1. The very easy version.

Ingredients
1 pound/ 0.5 kgs fresh mushrooms, sliced
3 Tablespoons/ 45 ml white flour
1 quart/ 1 liter milk
salt and pepper to taste

Directions

1. Dissolve the flour in a small amount of the milk, making certain that there are no lumps.

2. Slowly mix into the rest of the milk in a saucepan,being sure to dissolve completely, again to avoid lumps.

3. Cook over medium low heat, stirring often, so nothing sticks to the pan, until the mushrooms are cooked and the soup is thickened. If it gets too thick, add a little more milk to thin it.

4. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Made this way, it's as easy as opening a can of condensed gunk.

Notes:
Exact measurements are not important.

If you spray the saucepan with cooking spray before you begin, clean up is much easier.

You can buy the mushrooms already sliced in the produce section of any supermarket. If you use canned mushrooms, I will personally show up and box your ears.

If you want something more Akin to Campbell's, chop the mushrooms and thicken with cornstarch. This is not recommended.

You can use whatever kind of milk you prefer. I use whole cow's milk, but I imagine goat's milk would wonderful,if you don't mind missing the traditional taste.

If you wish to make a vegan version, you could try soy milk (unsweetened) or any sort of nut milk you like. I have never tried this, but it might work.

2. THE SUPER DELICIOUS VERSION.
A bit more work, but not much and it's really good.

Ingredients

1 pound/ 0.5 kg fresh mushrooms, sliced
I small onion, diced
2 Tablespoons/ 30 ml unsalted butter or butter ghee
3 Tablespoons/ 45 ml white flour
1 quart/ 1 liter milk
grated non-rennet cheese (optional)
salt and pepper to taste

Directions

1. Fry the onion in butter until lightly browned. Remove to saucepan for cooking.
2. Lightly saute the mushrooms in the same pan as the onions, adding more butter if necessary. Add to the saucepan.
3. Mix the flour with a small amount of milk, making sure it's completely dissolved.
4. Mix with the rest of the milk until thoroughly dissolved.
5. Add milk mixture to the saucepan and stir thoroughly.
6. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring often, until the soup is hot and has the desired thickness. If it's too thick, add a bit more milk.
7. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
8. For added taste, you can stir in as much grated cheese as you desire and/or garnish with cheese, if yhou wish

Notes

See the notes to version 1.

For added zip, add chopped hot chilis when frying the onions or hot sauce, such as Tapatio Sauce when serving.

I have never tried and cannot really imagine a version of this withpout real butter, but you're welcome to try it if you like. Please let me know if you do, OK?

Last edited by a moderator:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM